What are you listening to?

Oregon

13 hours ago, TomicTime said:

This is a desert island disc for me….. 

C282235D-D433-422B-A451-2CF59755B086.jpeg

Love this album.  I really enjoyed the recent pressing of Dave Rawlings Machine 2015 album Nashville Obsolete.  Excellent sound quality and songwriting.  It's so fun to hear them switch vocal roles with Dave on lead vocals and Gillian on harmony.

• Like 1

Hilary Hahn - Paris

• Prokofiev - Concerto For Violin And Orchestra No. 1 In D Major Op. 19
  • Chausson - Poème Op. 25 For Violin And Orchestra
  • Rautavaara - Deux Sérénades

Mikko Franck conducting Orchestre Philharmonique De Radio France
Deutsche Grammophon 2LP 45rpm 2021

Hilary_Hahn_Paris.jpg

• Like 1

@bkeske  Hi Brian. I have been buying violin concertos and sonatas over the last year or so. I see that you like Hilary Hahn as you have posted her albums a bit. Can you recommend a couple of her better sonata recordings on vinyl that I should listen to? I appreciate any guidance you may have.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I hope you don't mind me chiming in.  I saw Hahn play the Prokofiev with the New York Philharmonic a few weeks ago -- a very good performance.  If you haven't yet, give a listen to this one:

814n2xHeb3L._AC_UY436_FMwebp_QL65_.webp.a305ab9d09df33391c3189c55a1f8023.webp

Not sure about sonatas with Hahn, but for concertos with her, I particularly like her recordings of the Schoenberg, the Stravinsky, and the Higdon (written for her).  If you get the CDs of these (I'm not sure any of these are available on vinyl), you'll also get the Brahms, the Tchaikovsky, and what I think is a pretty singular take on the Sibelius with Esa-Pekka Salonen.  As you can see, I'm drawn to Hahn's performances of more modern than romantic pieces.  Hahn made an early mark with some Bach solo pieces, but for the solo violin sonatas and partitas, I recommend trying Lara St. John's set.  Nothing that I've heard is quite like this set.

51cTuR3FbL._AC_UY436_FMwebp_QL65_.webp.008d3041110e209fd83f3677bb997c58.webp

For other sonatas, if you haven't already, you might try Franziska Pietsch.  

image.jpeg.db1f03e4af77ca37ab42f496b4655d02.jpeg

61P6Q2mR9CL._AC_UY436_FMwebp_QL65_.webp.0657de4491318007021aee1b6cb1a1e0.webp

What have you discovered lately in your listening to sonatas and concertos that you would recommend?  And I look forward to your thoughts, Brian.

Ken

51cTuR+3FbL._AC_UY436_FMwebp_QL65_.webp

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bruskie said:

@bkeske  Hi Brian. I have been buying violin concertos and sonatas over the last year or so. I see that you like Hilary Hahn as you have posted her albums a bit. Can you recommend a couple of her better sonata recordings on vinyl that I should listen to? I appreciate any guidance you may have.

Bruce

Hi Bruce, yea, I really dig Hilary.

In terms of sonatas on vinyl, unfortunately I don’t believe any of her sonata releases are on vinyl, only CD, or streaming. A couple of her earlier LP’s have been reissued on vinyl, but wish eventually they all will be…..but doubtful.

Luckily all her new releases over the last 3-4 years are all on vinyl. 

She is a treasure.

Brian

Edited by bkeske

Received a nice haul today…starting with this one.

Jorge Mester conducts 

Heitor Villa-Lobos

• Bachianas Brasileieas No. 4

Priscilla McLean

• Variations And Mosaics On A Theme Of Stravinsky

The Louisville Orchestra
First Edition Records 1977

Villa-Lobos_&_McClean.jpg

• Like 1

@Ken K @bkeske  Thanks so much for your thoughts and I really do appreciate your chiming in Ken.  I am in the process of upgrading my digital front end, taking a huge step up from my little Auralic Altair G1 so I will definately be buying HR downloads in the future. I am a very late bloomer in my appreciation for classical so I'm on a steep learning curve. Being new to to classical I guess I tend to appreciate the simplicity (?) of sonatas more than concertos - but I am amazed at what our Vandys reveal from large orchestral recordings.

I have recently bought sonatas from;  Julie Steinberg & David Abel,  Johanna Martzy and  Hyperion Knight

I also have concertos from;  Johanna Martzy,  David Oistrakh,  Leonid Kogan and  Heifetz.

With about 10 albums in total from these well established musicians I have a nice starting point for this journey. Over the years I have always gravitated to acoustic music, following the east cost folk circuit for decades. I guess this is why I tend to favor the simpler (?) sonatas over concertos.

Thanks again guys for your help! I will keep looking at this thread for more recordings.

Bruce

• Like 1

Speaking of Heifetz @Bruskie, just picked this up and spinning it right now for the first time. Never knew it existed before. Very nice.

Jascha Heifetz

Miklós Rózsa

• Concerto For Violin And Orchestra

Walter Hendl conducts Dallas Symphony Orchestra

Arthur Benjamin

• Romantic Fantasy (For Violin, Viola and Orchestra)

Izler Solomon conducts RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra

RCA Victor Red Seal repress, early 70’s, originally 1964

Heifetz_Rosa_&_Benjamin.jpg

• Like 1

Another new pick-up. Very very nice.

Igor is David’s son. Can’t go wrong with either. Both superb violinists 

Arnold Katz conducts S. Taneyev

• Concerto-Suite For Violin And Orchestra

Novosibirsk Philharmonic Orchestra w/Igor Oistrach violin
Мелодия 1980, USSR release

Taneyev_Concerto_Suite_for_Violin.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bruskie said:

I have that one Brian, Thanks. I also have the following of his, all great.

IMG_6564.jpeg

IMG_6563.jpeg

IMG_6562.jpeg

Have all those too Bruce, all very very good. 

I have not been serious about classical for all that long myself (maybe 4-5 years now).  But have dove in very seriously now….just dabbled before.  Now my collection overall is probably 60% classical, if I had to guess. As you say, always liked and often preferred acoustic recording (including folk and jazz), so have become more and more smitten and the bug has bitten hard. Our Vandersteen’s seem meant for this type of music. I’m really enjoying this journey. Classical is incredibly varied, interesting, and I enjoy the history and evolution of it a lot. 

Enjoy, just keep buying stuff that looks interesting.

Brian

Edited by bkeske
  • Like 1

Anything Sol Gabetta does..but especially Prayer

additionally, do visit the 2L Recordings free downloads bench  ( the Nordic sound ) to compare the exact same performances in a variety of formats / resolutions….. 

Edited by TomicTime

2 hours ago, bkeske said:

Have all those too Bruce, all very very good. 

I have not been serious about classical for all that long myself (maybe 4-5 years now).  But have dove in very seriously now….just dabbled before.  Now my collection overall is probably 60% classical, if I had to guess. As you say, always liked and often preferred acoustic recording (including folk and jazz), so have become more and more smitten and the bug has bitten hard. Our Vandersteen’s seem meant for this type of music. I’m really enjoying this journey. Classical is incredibly varied, interesting, and I enjoy the history and evolution of it a lot. 

Enjoy, just keep buying stuff that looks interesting.

Brian

I listen to classical almost exclusively, almost, working on jazz appreciation still. Coltrane can be a tough listen at times, jagged, then lyrical, cacophonous, working on it...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Oregon said:

Coltrane can be a tough listen at times, jagged, then lyrical, cacophonous

I have the same feeling. Desmond is really the only jazz saxophone player I enjoy all the time. Piano and guitar are my favorite jazz instruments--steel and wood make the good music. You might try Jim Hall's work if jazz guitar interests you at all.

I suspect 90 % of my listening is to classical.  Lots of good stuff you guys are finding!  A few from Heifetz:

image.thumb.jpeg.6c29066951e0d416f07dcf03b60f4272.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.641ea03a87c2d5ebf8ec0d63729bc66f.jpeg

I had the good fortune to live in Bloomington IN for about 5 years in the 80's and spent many evenings and afternoons attending concerts at the music school, not to mention in record shops like Ars Antiqua finding used records on a graduate student budget.  Vandersteens -- I went from the 2CE Sig IIs to Quatro -- continue to be the one speaker that I've heard where I don't find myself having to readjust my ears when I attend a live acoustic concert.  

One challenge, as you continue your listening, is that almost all classical that was recorded after 1980 is digital.  As much as I prefer analogue, if we're going to listen to recent compositions or performances, it's digital.  I'd like to move into HR, but haven't hopped on that learning curve yet. 

And speaking of Igor and David, Brian, this one's pretty special:

image.thumb.jpeg.3a2a26830ba726c3e049d6e3c0765c0d.jpeg

And I agree on Coltrane, though I went through a pretty serious phase listening to him.  What do you think of Wayne Shorter?  Miles' second "great quintet" is one of my favorite jazz ensembles.  It's interesting to compare to his first "great quintet" with Coltrane.  This was the first jazz album I owned:

image.thumb.jpeg.7ba9d90017d1dacc0e69c105dddec9da.jpeg

When I first dropped the needle, I expected to hear "Bye Bye Blackbird" kind of stuff, since that's the jazz I knew.  Quite an awakening.

Ken

• Thanks 1