What are you listening to?

Oregon

On 10/18/2023 at 4:47 PM, bkeske said:

It’s taken me a while, but finally finishing this box tonight….last two CD’s of 14

Wondering if the picture is of Ravel on the Eiffel Tower. One famous story about him was that he had lunch every day in the restaurant at the Tower, which everyone knew he hated because it ruined the skyline of Paris, competed with Notre Dame, etc. When asked why he had lunch there so often (the story goes), he said, "Because it's the only place in Paris where you can't see the Eiffel Tower."

Could've been Debussy; I'm not sure.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 11:58 PM, John Gallup said:

Wondering if the picture is of Ravel on the Eiffel Tower. One famous story about him was that he had lunch every day in the restaurant at the Tower, which everyone knew he hated because it ruined the skyline of Paris, competed with Notre Dame, etc. When asked why he had lunch there so often (the story goes), he said, "Because it's the only place in Paris where you can't see the Eiffel Tower."

Could've been Debussy; I'm not sure.

Very interesting John. I’ll have to look into that, never heard that story before.

BTW, If you like Ravel, that is an incredible box set. 

• Like 1

Discovering so much wonderful music through this thread, my favorite on the forum! 

Just found this OG in excellent condition for around $10– sounds fantastic! Also, I just picked up an HRS isolation platform which I purchased at Audio Connection (big thanks to vinyl guru Nick) in Verona-NJ. Wow! I was skeptical at first but when I heard the difference between my player with and without thr HRS I was stunned! But that’s a separate thread! I’m getting my daughter in on the fun—she’s the hand model holding the Bowie 😉

IMG_0021.jpeg

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 2:03 PM, Ipspam said:

https://www.discogs.com/master/350767-Willie-Wright-Telling-The-Truth

Cool album. "I'm so happy now" is a good track if you just want to check out one.

https://www.discogs.com/master 

maxresdefault.jpg

Try using the HRS platforms under your DAC, Phono stage, Preamp and CD player and discover the same kind of sonic transformation!  It's all about noise reduction.  RV

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Try using the HRS platforms under your DAC, Phono stage, Preamp and CD player and discover the same kind of sonic transformation!  It's all about noise reduction.  RV

RV, That’s the plan! But first I must buy your M5 mono blocks for my Quatro Wood CT’s and perhaps your new preamp which I’m looking forward to hearing at Audio Connection next week. And, of course, it will be a pleasure to meet you as well! 

• Like 2

This is one of the very early Analogue Productions releases dating back to 1991 and I forgot how special it is. Great dynamic range and with no real weaknesses across the entire sound spectrum. Solid imaging and very quiet. A particularly wide and deep sound stage with great air around the instruments. I particularly enjoy the detailed note on the recording provided on the jacket. Enjoyed it immensely!

“Aaron Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man, Rodeo and Charles Ives: The Fourth of July and Thanksgiving.” Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Donald Johanos, Conductor. 33RPM. Analogue Productions, APC004, Limited Edition #1826. 1991

IMG_1059.jpeg

IMG_0669.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing @Mike Goetz— in keeping with outstanding AP vinyl reissues… I’m a huge Doors fan and the AP 45rpm /s are just killer! Enormous soundstage and the eerie presence of Morrison in the room at the very center. I’ve had my new system for almost six months now and the the listening experience continues to deepen and evolve; the Quatros and my system in general appear to be hitting a a new ‘sweet spot’ regularly.  The enjoyment I’ve experienced from my  system thus far is priceless and the price I paid for the equipment, however expensive, feels like a bargain. 

IMG_0022.jpeg

• Like 3

In keeping with my current theme of re-listening to many of my “Living Stereo” recordings. This one is a 1994 Classic Records reissue of a 1958 release by Arthur  Fiedler and the Boston Pops. “Gaîté Parisienne” is a lively and boisterous ballet by Jacques Offenbach. This recording shows great dynamic range with great clarity. A huge soundstage and some of the best bass drum and percussion I have heard.

“Gaîté Parisienne,”  Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops, RCA Living Stereo, LSC-1817, 33RPM, Classic Records, 1994

IMG_0671.jpeg

‘Tis the season for “Witches’ Brew,” one of Analogue Productions’ outstanding reissues from the RCA Living Stereo series.  

What I continue to marvel at is the quality of the recordings from the mid-to-late 1950s. I close my eyes and I am transported to a prime seat in the hall. The soundstage is wide and deep and instruments are placed accurately in the space. Sonically from the low and deep frequencies produced by the timpanist, the massed strings and individual wind instruments, and the crystal clear delicacy of the triangle, all are reproduced with astonishing accuracy. This is a characteristic of the entire LS series. 

The New Symphony Orchestra Of London; Alexander Gibson
  “Witches’ Brew” LSC/AAPC 2225, 33RPM, Analogue Productions

IMG_0959.jpeg

IMG_0667.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mike Goetz said:

Tis the season for “Witches’ Brew,” one of Analogue Productions’ outstanding reissues from the RCA Living Stereo series.  

Sorry for the repeat post. I did a post on this a couple weeks ago and was playing this LP again today for a friend. Still a great listen!!!🙃

• Like 1

Last year Analogue Productions released/reissued “The Wonderful Sounds of Quality Record Pressing,” APP-147, 33RPM. While I listened to all 6 sides (3 LPs), I focused on Side B (Classical) and Side F (Jazz, Hugh Masekela) for these comments. These 2 sides gave the best insight to both the overall sonic range of the recordings as well as the soundstage.

It was a very involving listening session. Generally, this pressing reproduces a wide and deep soundstage with precise instrument placement and plenty of space between them. This was especially noticeable on the Hugh Masekela tracks on side F which showed great vocal and instrument placement with plenty of air. On the orchestral tracks on side B, the full orchestra unfolds left to right with great depth. 

On the sound side, “the Firebird Suite” selection displays some of the most deep and powerful lows from the bass/timpani I have heard to date on my system. There is great impact yet the drums are well controlled and not flabby or bloated. Of course the highlight of this 3-disc pressing has to be the spectacular “Stimela” by Hugh Masekela on side F. This is a sonic masterpiece that gives your system a real work out.  Vibrant and smooth across the entire sound spectrum with great dynamic range. Hugh’s trumpeting is clean and tight. There is good reason why this track is often considered a must listen for demonstrating any system. 

I should note that my system consists of a Music Hall MMF 9.3 fitted with a Hana Umami Blue MC cartridge, EAT E-Glo Petite phono stage w/SBooster linear power supply, Rogue RP-1 preamp and Rogue DragoN hybrid amp. Speakers are Vandersteen 3A Signatures. Interconnect and speaker cables are Morrow level 6.

IMG_1061.jpeg

This is the album everyone is talking about. The stunning Analogue Productions UHQR of Steely Dan’s “Aja” (UHQR-0014, 45RPM).  A must have if you are an SJ fan and a great demo recording for almost any system. The mastering by Bernie Grundman is exemplary. A great soundstage with lots of definition in the placement of vocals and instruments. Drum work is a particular strength from track to track and sonically, top to bottom, there are no weak spots. Highly recommended!

IMG_0676.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mike Goetz said:

This is the album everyone is talking about. The stunning Analogue Productions UHQR of Steely Dan’s “Aja” (UHQR-0014, 45RPM).  A must have if you are an SJ fan and a great demo recording for almost any system. The mastering by Bernie Grundman is exemplary. A great soundstage with lots of definition in the placement of vocals and instruments. Drum work is a particular strength from track to track and sonically, top to bottom, there are no weak spots. Highly recommended!

IMG_0676.jpeg

IMG_1070.jpeg

I finally broke down and ordered this after reading all the great reviews. Mine is coming Sunday. 

• Like 2