What are you listening to?

Oregon

A day late, but as it was Strauss’ birthday yesterday, am catching up….

Solti Edition Vol. 10

Sides 1-6
Strauss

• Also Sprach Zarathustra Op. 30
  • Till Eulenspiegels Lustige Streiche Op. 28
  • Don Juan Op. 20

Chicago Symphony Orchestra 

• Ein Heldenleben

Wiener Symphoniker with Rainer Küchl, violin

• Eine Alpensymphonie Op. 64 Symphonie

Symphonie-Orchester Des Bayerischen Rundfunks

DECCA 1981, 16LP box. German release

Beautiful recordings

Solti_Edition_Vol_10_box.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Late  last week received the long anticipated "Who's Next - Super Deluxe Edition"

I have loved this album since it was first released in 1971.  Over the years have purchased it many times.

1. Original Decca (US) LP

2. First CD issue (Steve Hoffman mastered)

3. Expanded single CD reissue

4, 2 CD Deluxe Edition

and finally last week

5. 11 Disc (10 CD and 1 Blu ray + 2 hardback books) edition.   

Absolutely love this issue.  In addition to the original album, this edition covers this era of the Who with live recordings, unissued studio tracks, singles from this era and deep dive into Townshend's "LifeHouse " project.

As a wee lad  in 1971, my friends and I, all Who  fans, spent countless hours enjoying and discussing the original LP.

Sadly most of these friends have departed this  earth.   I listen, enjoy and reminisce in their honor.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New arrival. Not sure why I never bought this, but finally decided to buy a new copy. A reissue/remaster of the original.

Sir John Barbirolli conducts Elgar

• Cello Concerto In E Minor Op. 85
  • Sea Pictures, Op. 37

London Symphony Orchestra w/Jacqueline Du Pré and Janet Baker
Warner Classics reissue/remaster 2017, originally 1965

Elgar_Cello_Concerto_Du_Pre.jpg

• Like 3

This readily available reissue of "LEGRAND JAZZ" (Michel Legrand, et al) on the Impex label is IMHO an example of a bona fide "audiophile" release done right (quiet vinyl, stellar sonics, etc and a relative bargain price of $39.99 in this time of $150 One-Step releases).

And it's a highly pleasurable listen via the 2CeSig IIs that I very recently acquired--no matter which side I may happen to finish on, I immediately want to listen to whole record again!

Side note: Granted there is the monumental-sized caveat of the only constant being the room, and also I'm very aware re: the difficulty/uncertainty in attempting to establish the exact point along the continuum of production when these were built (& subsequently to accurately index the particular components within them), but the performance of this pair of 2Ce Sig IIs so far exceeds (at least seemingly so) the pair I owned previously, which was all the way back in 2008. They simply sound appreciably "better" than I remember, lol...

20231005_183849.jpg

2 hours ago, Oregon said:

Eclectia...?

The Wall.jpg

thumbnail_20231005_135742_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20231005_135746_resized.jpg

That John Hartford is a favorite. Used to listen to it a lot in my youth, lost it somewhere along the way, and recently (over the last year and a half) replaced it. Still a great LP 👍🏼

Edited by bkeske

I've now spun no less than a half-dozen records this evening and felt compelled to share this one, as it wasn't a premeditated selection for tonight--in fact it's been quite some time since being on the turntable--but what another revelation conveyed through the Vandys!

I've seen this group live no less than 5 times and usually in some small, very intimate settings, and also I thought that I "knew" this record, lol.

Cowboy Junkies, "Open". (2020, Wouldn't Waste Records reissue).

This is a studio record but the imaging and sense of realness heard through the Sig IIs was nonetheless exceptional! Not only was Margo Timmins' voice accurately delivered in an organic and tonally correct manner, but the image of her was truly corporeal. And I swear the rimshots in "Thousand Year Prayer" sounded like an actual drumstick being struck on the snare's metal rim and right in the room--or some 8-10 feet behind  the speakers that is...

What a treat tonight's listening session has become!

20231005_203600.jpg

Edited by Chuckster
  • Like 2

Just arrived. Finally snagged a copy of this, brand new. Hopefully can get through it before Berlin comes on live today…

Rafael Kubelik conducts Smetana

• Má Vlast (Cyklus Symfonických Básní)
  • Z Českých Luhů A Hájů / From Bohemian Fields And Groves

The Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
Supraphon reissue/remaster 2 LP gatefold 2018, originally 1990
Czech release

Smetana_Ma_Vlast.jpg

• Like 2

Here's some of what I've been listening to today.

They're not only some great records/favorites of mine, but also serve as system demo/test recordings, including of course speaker set-up. All are sounding great; everything on the records within the Sig II's frequency response is "there", imaging is locked-in & the Vandys have *disappeared*.

I highly recommend them to fellow Vandersteen owners. ✌️

20231008_184202.jpg

Edited by Chuckster
  • Like 3

On 1/1/2023 at 12:04 AM, Oregon said:

Eloy, Schubert.

Generally, I'll warm up the stereo with an hour or so CD while I am downstairs, then, I'll go upstairs to listen to music. It is remarkable how much better a record sounds than CD.

It's all how it's mixed/produced.....Many of my CD's sound better than their LP counterpart

‘Tis the season for “Witches’ Brew,” one of Analogue Productions’ outstanding reissues from the RCA Living Stereo series.  

What I continue to marvel at is the quality of the recordings from the mid-to-late 1950s. I close my eyes and I am transported to a prime seat in the hall. The soundstage is wide and deep and instruments are placed accurately in the space. Sonically from the low and deep frequencies produced by the timpanist, the massed strings and individual wind instruments, and the crystal clear delicacy of the triangle, all are reproduced with astonishing accuracy. This is a characteristic of the entire LS series. 

The New Symphony Orchestra Of London; Alexander Gibson
  “Witches’ Brew” LSC/AAPC 2225, 33RPM

IMG_0959.jpeg

Just arrived and I am sitting here entranced. Even the TT is smiling. When I can lift my jaw off the floor I will have some additional thoughts and observations. But definitely worth the wait (over a year). 

The Royal Ballet Gala Performances, Ernest Ansermet
Analogue Productions, 45 RPM, 5 LP Box Set

IMG_1029.jpeg

• Like 1

Finally added this one to my collection and just WOW!!! The spectacular Impex reissue of “Friday Night in San Francisco, Al Di Meola; John McLaughlin; Paco De Lucía”. Impex Records All Analog 45 RPM Edition. Close your eyes and you are transported back to the Warfield Theater in San Francisco on that Friday Night in 1981. The sound stage is so wide and the guitar work so clear and concise. I love the fact that the jacket shows each musical selection and who can be heard in the left, center and right channels What a joy to listen to!!

IMG_0615.jpeg

• Like 1

“Anne Bisson Trio Four Seasons in Jazz Live at Bernie's,” 180g 45rpm (Direct to Disc). This is my first direct to disc album and I am amazed at the overall sound quality. This was recorded live over 2 days at Bernie Grundman’s mastering studio. Anne’s vocal and all of the instruments were carefully miked and a 100% analog chain went straight to Bernie’s huge Scully lathe. The music was also recorded direct to analog master tape (2-track, 1/2” 30ips). The music is absolutely sublime. Some of the purest female vocals I have ever heard with not a hint of sibilance. The instruments were all separately miked (5 mics actually for the drums and 2 for the piano) and carefully mixed. Overall there is not a weak spot in the entire musical spectrum and some of the cleanest cymbals I have yet experienced on my system.

I am just over just over 100 IMG_0946.thumb.jpeg.f316537bd43d05227901e20f61c9a87e.jpeghours on my new Hana Umami Blue cartridge. I can’t imagine it getting much better!

• Like 1

Just got this in mint condition from a dealer in Japan via Discogs. Not sure if it's original or a reissue, but I love this record a lot. I've listened to it many times from digital sources but the vinyl is more real, more vivid—just a great pleasure. The piano's a tad out of tune, which I presume is the way Vince liked it.

image.png

Edited by John Gallup
  • Like 3