Wally Tools and WAM?

I am looking at cartridge set up.
The spindle to pivot distance is very close, like I cannot discern an error visually.

And the overhang is straight forwards, but I am 90% convinced that spindle distance and overhang are bit OCD as the various alignments can have different overhang for the same spindle to pivot distance. I’ll set it the recommended, which I assume is with the pressure of VTF and correct rake so the suspension is where it should be… and any dynamic addition would be either accounted for, ignored (for overhang).

VTF is easy with a scale

When it comes to rake it appears like a USB microscope is worthwhile.

So that leaves Azimuth, which is usually set with an 0-Scope and minimising cross-talk.
Seems it is easy enough in theory.

And the hardest one of all (IMO) which is zenith or cartridge yaw. Given that the body and cantilever may not be the same as the stylus is this just best set to be visually at zero, and then move it around in yaw to find the best zenith and for stylus ?
After being OCD with VTF, Overhang and a protractor, to them have a multi degree zenith error, sort of seems like horse has bolted out of the stable… but the stable is freshly painted, warm and clean.

Or do people send in their cart for the $500 optical measurement and the shims?

Edited by Holmz

I have had J.R. analyze my Paua II cart and produce a shim. He paid me a home visit and installed the cart using his Wally Tools. I have since purchased the tools as I recently upgraded my turntable and am considering a new cartridge in the near future. Planning to do it myself next time. I would still have the new cart analyzed by WAM and a shim produced if necessary before the install. 

Cartridge Analysis Report - SalutiPaua.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gsal said:

I have had J.R. analyze my Paua II cart and produce a shim. He paid me a home visit and installed the cart using his Wally Tools. I have since purchased the tools as I recently upgraded my turntable and am considering a new cartridge in the near future. Planning to do it myself next time. I would still have the new cart analyzed by WAM and a shim produced if necessary before the install. 

Cartridge Analysis Report - SalutiPaua.pdf 197.12 kB · 3 downloads

Yikes… That cross talk at (-) 39dB is outstanding good.

On 1/30/2023 at 9:07 AM, Holmz said:

On 1/30/2023 at 9:07 AM, Holmz said:

Yeah, Soundsmith is known for that.

• Like 3