Static Electricity Issues

Over the last week, I've experienced small static electricity shocks when playing albums.  This happens for the most part when I touch the switch on my LP12 that partially mutes the sound output when I flip album sides.  Zap.  

Today, listening to an album with my Quatro Wood CT speakers powered by the M5 mono blocks, I touched one of the M5 amps on the top of the casing and the amp turned off.  Music continued playing from the other speaker/amp.  

Like I mentioned, this has become a newish occurrence.   I have all the other components plugged into a Transparent Powerwave (line conditioning/surge).  That may not matter in my case.  I might be a static carrier all the sudden but how would a little static shock trip the M5?  

Anyway, just thought I'd post and see if anyone else has experienced this.  Good Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

Wintertime with the heat on in your home is a drying time.  Low humidity and static electricity show up.  At the winter CES show we used to spray water on the carpet repeatedly to allow us to play without pops in the system caused by static electricity.  The protection circuit senses the static pulse mistaking it for a power transient and sends the amp into fault.  Turn on the rear power switch and the Amp should reset.  RV

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank God for protection circuitry!  I had this happen multiple times on my old Modwright KWA 150 Monoblocks, where they would shut off and need to be reset at the rear switch.  I was not so lucky with another amp and a speed controller for my TT.  Static is truly dangerous when it comes to electronics!  I have gotten into the habit of first touching my sink in my living room bar area before touching the equipment after sitting for a while.  I usually get a small pop when I tough the metal, and then I'm good to go to flip the record.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Drew769 said:

I usually get a small pop

Hey @Drew769 I suppose filling the tumbler while you’re at it makes sense since you’re up anyhow… 😎

If you’re doing a demo, then I suspect a couple of the fellows would be having the Long Island Iced Tea.

How about a small humidifier?
Or even hanging a wet towel in the room in winter.
Especially of you are at altitude.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may come up with an audiophile grade stone that you can ground yourself on when using equipment.  Maybe Richard should put a pad on the exterior of his new preamp that is grounded.  You just touch the power button and it automatically grounds you....  

I rarely have those issues where I live now, but in our old place, it was a bear.