Anyone like or dislike Rotel RMB-1048 8 Channel w/ 2ce's

Any thought for $300 might get me into amps and not just running from surround receiver (Denon 3608)...? Or is just not worth it as to much of the same? thanks for any advice.

Power Configurations: 8 x 40 watts
Watts/Channel : 40 watts
all channels driven, unbridged,
8 ohm load, 20 to 20k Hz,
0.06% THD
THD (20-20,000Hz)
cont. rated power : 0.03%, maximum
one-half rated power : 0.03%, maximum
one watt per channel : 0.05%, maximum
IM Distortion (at rated power, 60Hz:7kHz = 4:1) : 0.02%, maximum
Damping Factor (8 ohms) : 150
Input Sens. / Impedance 1.0V / 22 ohms
Frequency Response 15-100kHz (±1dB)
S/N Ratio (IHF A) 116dB
Power Consumption 700 watts

Edited by jonathan
added info

There is no dishonour in a used amp, nor in going slow and using the current amp while looking around.
Ideally one could get two of the McCormack amps, or the pair of the Rotel mono blocks…

I have something like 3 amps that I would consider upgrading to… so I just keep glancing at the used market… and taking my time.
And power amps are probably not likely going to be the longest pole in the tent for my system.

• Like 2

Are you running 8 channels or just 2 for the 2ce’s?  How big is the room and what other equipment are you running?  I think the Vandersteens generally like more power/current.  I have 3a Signatures and run them with Belles Aria monoblocks which are 112 watts into 8 ohms.  I would look for a good used stereo amp.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

Not sure where you are located and how much your budget is but something like this is much better

Wow they are here in town! they are in my budget but the mcormic is what i want... Is looking at these as adictive as it feels?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

Not worth it. Not sure where you are located and how much your budget is but something like this is much better than what you pulled up:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649954132-pair-of-rotel-rmb-100-monoblock-amps/

Could you bi-amp with these mono blocks? they have dual binding posts but kind of new at some of this... thanks

13 minutes ago, jonathan said:

Wow they are here in town! they are in my budget but the mcormic is what i want... Is looking at these as adictive as it feels?

^Usually^… Emotions are funny that way.
That is why I like to have a list.
And then I can make all sorts of reasons not to get a $2500 amp… but when I see the 5 figure one, I can still think, “whoa I need it”. 

There is no guarantee those amps will sound great, but they should be an improvement over the Denon.
And there is something powerful when the speaker cables are not measured in the tens of feet long, that a mono block gives.

If they don’t work out well, then you can also likely sell them without talking a big loss.

6 minutes ago, jonathan said:

Could you bi-amp with these mono blocks? they have dual binding posts but kind of new at some of this... thanks

Not bi-amp, but one can bi-wire.
(With short wires)

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jonathan said:

You can’t biamp since it’s a single amp/speaker. You can biwire 2CE with two independent sets of speaker cables or run two sets of speakers from a single amp. (For ex: a passive subwoofer). In the extreme application you can biwire your 2CE from one set of poste and use the second set for a passive sub. 

I wouldn’t be too hung up on biamping unless your listening space is massive or your listening levels are higher than normal..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stratocaster said:

I wouldn’t be too hung up on biamping unless your listening space is massive or your listening levels are higher than normal..

^Yeah but^…

I would suggest being hung up on a sub and crossover is not a bad hang up to have.

A couple of mono blocks and short speaker cables, addresses the whole of the spectrum… The sub and crossover addresses the bottom end and also simultaneously removes a lot of energy requirement from the amplifier.
(Which usually means that it just moves away from clipping as much or as often, when using a decent sized mono block.)

Personally I would only think of vertical bi-amping AFTER adding a sub… but there are many ways to skin a cat.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

+5 on the McCormack. SMcAudio still offers updates to the venerable DNA amps- and at a nice price point too.

Bob

McCormack is what i'm going to get... i think everone wants me to have one!

• Like 2