Anyone using Class D amps with their Vandersteens?

I was fortunate enough to have found a used pair of Vandersteen 2Ce's a couple years ago which I've been enjoying very much. Previously I have used an Adcom GFA-535 and a Rotel RB-1050 power amp for these with good results. However, recently I picked up an integrated amp, the S.M.S.L. A300, a Class D amp that came out last year. I am enjoying the detailed sound it is able to produce. I have since sold all my Class A/B power amps and the pre-amps that go with them.

I put up another thread on the Atmasphere Class D amps. I, too, enjoyed them, but when I compared them to the Belles, I noticed a distinct loss in the upper frequencies in terms of range and dynamics.

I haven't heard the SMSL amps. But, I am glad you enjoy them, and will try to find some to demo.

Bob

• Like 1

That's not a problem for me, if anything the bass is a bit thin which required me to match it with a meaty sounding source. For me that's a Pacific Valve Fathom NOS DAC.  But I should also say I boost the treble using the controls on the amp a little.

Edited by olds1959special

@olds1959special I have been wanting to…
I am using some really cheap AIYAMA A07s for the center and surround channels, and they are surprizing good.
But not as good as the tube job for 2-channel.

Sort of needed something, and figured I would run them until I could decide on what to really get, but for 5.1 they are more that good enough.

I saw the picture of the 2s in the other thread. I would try pulling them out to be even with the cabinet, if there is WAF acceptance to try it.
I am generally of the opinion that choosing between Class-A, AB, D, and G(?)… and focusing on speaker placement… that it doesn’t matter (to me) what the amp is as much where the speakers are at.
Others may put room treatments in their list.

Once the speakers are in the place and the room is quelled to be acceptable, then amps are more easily heard. (IMO - and other’s options vary) 

Edited by Holmz

12 hours ago, olds1959special said:

I think a tube amp would be great but I feel this is next best thing. Also I'm not sure I want to deal with the hassles of tubes when just watching tv casually.

^Exactly^ why I am still looking for a class-D.
There is a local one that is Purifi based, but I cannot seem to get a demo, even with mentioning a fist full green Aussy notes.

I have a spare set of tubes, and if I sell that amp then I need to get serious. HGoit it used from old ski mate, and he went to a Saunders for hits planars, or curved planars.

The lines between tube and SS is blurred from what it used to be. I’ve yet to hear a class D that i love. Many are very good to my ears, but even without them being time correct, I just haven found any that I like as much as a comparable A or AB amp. Love that other enjoy them though and was very interested in Bob’s findings of his class D amp 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been trying different amp combos for the midrange/treble and bass drivers of my 2Ci’s, and today I’m using a SMSL A100 on the bass and a Hafler DH-120 on the midrange / treble. This is a pretty usable combination for me. Before I tried the class D SMSL amp on the mids/treble but after a few days got listener fatigue. Using it for bass is okay.

Edited by olds1959special