Dedicated 20 amp lines, a bit surprised.

There were a couple of electrical outlets around the house with failing grip strength and failing mounts, unsurprising perhaps after 70 years since the house build date. The original house had ungrounded outlets with the exception of kitchen and bathrooms. The "addition" done in the late 60s had some grounded outlets. When the electrician stopped over for an estimate, I asked about pair of 20 amp outlets behind the main system. I confess that I'd been running a cheater plug into an 8 outlet power strip, and powering the entire system from that power strip. The placement of the outlets was such that I might be able to run monoblocks near the speakers, as the system evolves in the future.

I was skeptical that it would make much difference, but I was wrong. There's a blacker background, and I am hesitant to suggest this, but the bass seems more detailed or powerful without having changed amplifier or cabling. Maybe it's that the hash of household appliances has been bypassed. The outlets aren't anything special other than meeting 20 amp spec. But now the preamp and amplifier have their very own sockets at the wall.

The preamp has been an Aric Unlimited II, although there's an Audible Illusions M3A on loan for a few weeks, lobbying for position. The amp is a refurbished Precision Fidelity M8 Hybrid, with a tube front end and mosfet outputs. In fact, I understand there's a bit of Bruce Moore in both the AI and the PF pieces.

The changes have led to rediscovering and sorting the CD collection, and enjoying it. In the next few days I may try out the phono stage on the Audible Illusions. The speakers are 2ceSigs. The whole system is certainly more interesting than it was a week ago, no matter which preamp is in the control position.

51 minutes ago, Zarf said:

The preamp has been an Aric Unlimited II, although there's an Audible Illusions M3A on loan for a few weeks, lobbying for position.

I replaced the Audible Illusions, but it is somewhat more “hoping it sounds better” than actually clearly sounding better.
It is (IMO) a pretty descent preamp/line-stage for these wooden ears.

I have certainly heard worse preamps.

However the Mrs says that the new used preamp is better in every way… mainly that is silver, is smaller, and it looks nicer.

Edited by Holmz

Dedicated lines are sweet. I think if you are really serious about your stereo, having a dedicated line is the way to go.

Though I would recommend having a whole house surge protector a the mains. I drive my amps directly from the wall, so having a bit of protection gives me peace of mind.

B

On 4/26/2023 at 3:07 PM, GdnrBob said:

Dedicated lines are sweet. I think if you are really serious about your stereo, having a dedicated line is the way to go.

Though I would recommend having a whole house surge protector a the mains. I drive my amps directly from the wall, so having a bit of protection gives me peace of mind.

B

@GdnrBob can you point me towards the whole house surge protector that you have installed? Have heard about these things but am not sure where it gets installed and if it's something that I need to get an electrician to do.

Unless you are very handy, I would think a licensed electrician is the way to go. It is not a difficult installation, but you need to know what you are doing.

The unit goes right against the main box.

There are many different types, but the ones most people use are self sacrificial- So, if you get hit, it destroys the surge protector.

There are some that can be reset, but cost a bit more.

I got a  small unit like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Home-Surge-Protection-CHSPT2SURGE/207093234

Bob

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

Unless you are very handy, I would think a licensed electrician is the way to go. It is not a difficult installation, but you need to know what you are doing.

The unit goes right against the main box.

There are many different types, but the ones most people use are self sacrificial- So, if you get hit, it destroys the surge protector.

There are some that can be reset, but cost a bit more.

I got a  small unit like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-Home-Surge-Protection-CHSPT2SURGE/207093234

Bob

Thanks Bob. I am going to check this out at the local HD and get my electrician to do it. 

4 hours ago, stratocaster said:

@GdnrBob can you point me towards the whole house surge protector that you have installed? Have heard about these things but am not sure where it gets installed and if it's something that I need to get an electrician to do.