Headphone Recommendations

I’m not up to speed on headphones but am considering a pair for late night listening and thought this group might have some recommendations that are in line with the sound qualities our Vandersteen speakers provide.  

Someone  recommended the Meze 109 Pro open back but they seemed to have mixed reviews. I’m a bit overwhelmed with the choices and am not sure how easy they are to demo.  I will probably be using the headphone amp in my Tambaqui DAC to start. 

Appreciate any insight you may have. 

Thanks

I am also into portable audio and some know.  It’s totally different than 2 channel, but also fun. Depending on what you want, I may be able to help as I am selling a great pair of rare ZMF cans in cocobola cups. Kennerton and ZMF are very special. I do like some of the Mesa’s, but like many can companies, they don’t always have a house sound. 

I am also into portable audio and some know.  It’s totally different than 2 channel, but also fun. Depending on what you want, I may be able to help as I am selling a great pair of rare ZMF cans in cocobola cups. Kennerton and ZMF are very special. I do like some of the Mesa’s, but like many can companies, they don’t always have a house sound. 

the ones I’m selling are Ori’s, which was a very very neutral sounding headphone. Was well over 1k new. 

I am by no means a headphone expert, but I have a pair of Audioquest Nightowl Carbons that I love.  Sadly, they are no longer made by AQ but you can find them used.  For me they hold the record for the longest break-in period of any audio product but also the most rewarding.  I really wish AQ would have continued their headphone line and evolved it...

3 hours ago, JonM said:

I am by no means a headphone expert, but I have a pair of Audioquest Nightowl Carbons that I love.  Sadly, they are no longer made by AQ but you can find them used.  For me they hold the record for the longest break-in period of any audio product but also the most rewarding.  I really wish AQ would have continued their headphone line and evolved it...

The market is way too congested for them. They are a new label for headphones and with so  many top cans with value on the market they really weren’t the best for the price. I assume 5hsts part of why they moved on from that new revenue stream. 

• 3 weeks later...

You need to audition as wide a range of headphones as possible. I have a strong neck and I love my Audeze LCD3s and LCD4s. I say strong neck because the Audezes tend to be kind of heavy.  I tried the LCD5s but prefer my LCD4s. This is why I say audition them. The LCD5s are the supposed top of the line now, but I prefer the LCD4s. I also enjoy the Grado sound with the right music ( Rock, R&B, Blues), I have the RS-2s but I'm really eying a pair of the GS 3K Xs. I have a pair of Focal Elegias which are a reasonably priced, sound good, comfortable,  closed back headphones and great for traveling. It can be a slippery slope! But you will notice that no two people in this small population have the same headphones, yet we all love the Vandersteen sound,  Headphones are personal preference.

• Like 1

There are so many good options for audiophile headphones out there. They will sound different. You really have to listen to them, especially if you want to pay for the spendy ones.

One factor I've noticed is how the actual headphones fit on your ears and head. I can easily move, tilt the headphones to properly seal and allow me to find the sweet spot on, in, or over my ears to get the best sound.

The brands I've like enough to own for really good sound with my systems are from Grado, Sennheiser and Hifiman.

I had the chance to hear the Hifiman Susvaras at the last Definitive Audio's Music Matters showcase. They had a station with 3 or 4 DCS Lina stacks. Each station had 2 different headphone manufactures' best headphones. I was surprise that I found myself preferring the Susvaras over the Abyss headphones. The Susvaras were more comfortable too.

• Like 1

I’m a bit into the can/IEM community. Great folks all over the world. My favorite IEM’s are made by Jack Vang right near Alan Jones store in Atlanta (Vandy dealer). Great guys. 

Most of the cans have a sound just like speakers. That’s said, the same manufacturers will have different flavors for different folks. People around the world have different hearing and will often gravitate to similar transducers.  It’s a neat world and fun. I also feel  that you can find reference cans under 1k if you want to.  Many of the modders have gone main stream with their own designs.  ZMF and  now Dan Clark Audio started off this way. They make some of the best cans going. All price ranges. Lots of wonderful choices, but if you want what is closest to a more neutral tone, you can get new for not too much.  Jmho 

I’m also not surprised to read the list of cans you guys own since you are also Vandy owners