Subwoofer design-Calling Mr. V.!

I was on Audiogon today and Stringreen posted on a thread about the new NSMT Loudspeakers.

The OP responded:

Hey Stringreen,

You are correct Vandersteen has models with built-in active subwoofers. Many other companies build their own subwoofers to integrate with their own speakers. 

However, one of the innovative factors in the new NSMT System Two speaker is that Erol is one of the few designers who is brilliant at designing band-pass active subwoofers, instead of port loaded or acoustic suspension that has to be controlled electrically with either the cross-over or digital shaping. I get into a lengthy explanation of why band-pass designs are rare and sound significantly sound superior in many ways to the normal designs mentioned above in the review.

So, what the heck are 'Band Pass design' Subs?

Bob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I was on Audiogon today and Stringreen posted on a thread about the new NSMT Loudspeakers.

The OP responded:

Hey Stringreen,

You are correct Vandersteen has models with built-in active subwoofers. Many other companies build their own subwoofers to integrate with their own speakers. 

However, one of the innovative factors in the new NSMT System Two speaker is that Erol is one of the few designers who is brilliant at designing band-pass active subwoofers, instead of port loaded or acoustic suspension that has to be controlled electrically with either the cross-over or digital shaping. I get into a lengthy explanation of why band-pass designs are rare and sound significantly sound superior in many ways to the normal designs mentioned above in the review.

So, what the heck are 'Band Pass design' Subs?

Bob

Bob - Bandpass effectively uses a port as a choke to keep the upper frequency from being emitted out.
There also also higher order bandpass boxes that are mire efficient at the expense of group delay and transient response.
( I think they come in 6th and 8th order… the higher orders often being called “One Note Wonders”)

A “transmission line” is simpler and I believe odd order like 3rd?  (Probably 3rd as I think a seal box is 2nd order, an infinite baffle 1st order… and a bass reflex is 4th order??)
Generally the lower the order the better the transient response.

Poor transient response is attracts the subjective terms like “Muddy”.

But a bandpass can be great for HT use.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, for the info. I have never heard about Bandpass before. Like many things audio, it comes down to what it is used for.- Though it seems that NSMT is using it for audiophile stereo rather than Home Theater/Theatre or car audio.

B

• 2 weeks later...