RCA versus XLRs

I have heard in a few different places people staying the RCAs sound better than the balanced XLRs.
I could believe that they could be different, but without measurements I would assume that the XLRs would be less harmonics and less noise.
Which makes it hard for me to comprehend how and why the RCAs can be preferred.  

But with the cost of cables, I do not really want to demo lots of things.

What is the brains trust think about this?
(I already have one data point) 

Regards,
~Holmz

Well, I have always found Ralph Karsten's explanation of the benefits of XLR's over RCA to be the most well thought out. -And, considering that recording studios utilize XLR, it should be a no brainer (I hate that phrase), that equipment using XLR, alongside utilizing the AES standards, should provide the best conditions for sound reproduction.

bob

I was taught by my Transparent salesman (who sold me my 2CE sig 3s) that you would only experience the benefits of XLR connections if the input / outputs of the connected equipment were differentially balanced. Some manufacturers will have XLR connectors to accommodate use of XLR cables, but they aren't designed to realize the full benefits (noise cancellation, less drop out with longer lengths, etc.).  Older Linn equipment was this way, they recommended using RCA connectors with them. I hear the modern Linn pieces now come with differentially balanced XLR connectors. I acquired my old Classe preamp in Vancouver BC before Definitive in Seattle acquired the line. John wasn't sure so he called and spoke with someone at the Classe factory. This was when Classe was manufactured in Quebec. Once he confirmed he sold me my first Transparent XLR cables.

On 8/22/2023 at 6:15 AM, GdnrBob said:

Well, I have always found Ralph Karsten's explanation of the benefits of XLR's over RCA to be the most well thought out. .

For audio that is true.
But general signal and measurement stuff there are a bevvy of others that also say the same things, just sometimes with more acronyms.

I am getting the impression that it likely depends solely on the equipment, and most/many manufacturers are a bit quiet on the standards and implementation details.
So it might be hard to get to a single truth.

8 hours ago, Holmz said:

I am getting the impression that it likely depends solely on the equipment, and most/many manufacturers are a bit quiet on the standards and implementation details.

Like Ralph has said, it all depends upon using the AES standard, otherwise all bets are off.

B

• Thanks 1

A balanced signal transmitted over XLR will eliminate any noise picked up over the cable run. It shouldn't have any effect on harmonics, since these are defined within the amplifier circuit, and sent out symmetrically on each side of the differential signal. Building differential amplifiers at each end of the signal costs more, but the benefit is you get twice the gain over the wire, and no noise pickup, which can really matter in certain environments, long runs, situations where you have to bundle power/audio/video/digital together down a conduit, etc.

My take: If you can run XLR, do it. If you can't, don't worry about it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Ross B. said:

Building differential amplifiers at each end of the signal costs more, but the benefit is you get twice the gain over the wire, and no noise pickup, which can really matter in certain environments, long runs, situations where you have to bundle power/audio/video/digital together down a conduit, etc.

I love it when people can put into words what I can't. (Though I do understand the concept).

Bob