“Fatiguing” speakers

Posting this here because it’s technically a DAC and streamer post, but if it needs to move to another sub forum I get it…

I’ve read TomicTime sing praises for Vandersteens and other gear and he uses the description “fatigue free”. I never knew what that meant until yesterday. I live in an audiophile desert as far as shops go, and I am traveling on business right now.  I took the opportunity to visit a dealer who has a streamer and DAC I am interested in while I’m here. This dealer is not a Vandy dealer. Nonetheless they are really nice folks… I made an appointment in advance and we discussed what I own now and where I wanted to go. They set up a demo with speakers, amps, and a preamp they thought approximated what I have now (Quatro CTs, M5 amps, Aesthetix signature). I did not ask what all their stuff cost since I was there for the DAC and streamer. Yes, to do a real test I need to get the gear home to my room with the rest of my system, etc. 

I spent 3 hours with this demo and I ran through all my reference material and more. The vocals did sound like vocals on my home system. Very real and in the room. Acoustic guitars sounded like Vandersteen. But that’s where the similarities ended. The soundstage was narrow. I thought maybe that was a toe-in thing, but there were sounds way off in right and left field.  I thought the bass was lacking altogether. But the fatigue came in with cymbals and highs. It all sounded over-bright and smeared. I really didn’t like it. At times I almost just wanted to end a few tracks early.   Fatigue to my ears.  

I’m not posting to bash on their gear although it may sound like I am. At dinner I looked up all their hardware and it costs way more than what I have. I am super excited to get home and re-run my reference playlist on my gear.  I think I can smoke their rig for a fraction of the cost and not have the fatigue. I’m posting because I think maybe I’ve taken my Vandersteens for granted!

As a side note there were tiny details I had not heard before and I am hoping that’s the DAC and the streamer coming through. Will have to check that out at my house. 

IMG_5283.thumb.jpeg.36905b1b736001fb488d8e9b072a5169.jpeg

Edited by JonM

Those speakers say it all to my ears.  It just shows what a great deal Vandersteen speakers are.  I don’t know many who have anything bad to say about them and the ones I’ve heard say something negative, never truly listened and a few on AG who bash them constantly, never even heard them in the last 10 years and just don’t like Richard for his honesty.  

Glad you listened with your ears.  Please share the digital you are looking at.  I’ve gone through this recently and constantly am auditioning DAC’s.  Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

Jon - i still have pretty good hearing…. i can hear a whispered “ fish on “ from the front of the boat…. my crew conducts this TEST every season… ha.

Fatigue is not a trade i am willing to make for what is ( to my ear ) exaggeration of leading edges…. but you know my DAC choice….. 

Would love to chat soon….. best to you and yours…

• Like 1

So many great DAC options out there right now.  What’s your legit budget?  I am in love with my Brinkmann Nyquist mk2.  I also love the MSB DAC’s as they’re built in preamp is pretty amazing.  Playback Designs has wonderful digital too, but it’s even more costly.  Ayre upped its digital game with the updated QX5/20 and they are working on a reference series one too.  The Aurelic units are also outstanding for the cost.  Any of them are players in their respective price ranges.  With DAC’s it’s almost like you can get gobs of ‘detail’ or ‘more analog’.  That’s why I love Brinkmann as it’s plenty ‘fast and has gobs of detail’, but it’s still sweet and ‘analog’ sounding.  Even Richard can deal with it, lol. 😉.  

I get that.  Alan is a really great guy and will hook you up if you call ahead.  I promise you that Nyquist is worth the drive.  I drive 3 hrs for Rutan.  Others drive even farther. I fully get it.  I’d invite you over if you were near CT, lol.  How far is Alpharetta to you?

7 hours ago, JonM said:

Alpharetta is about 6 hours and a $300/night hotel plus super nice dinner.

The later 2 are “wife tax” that are added to the drive time automatically at time of commitment. 

HiFi Buys is in Buckhead.  In fact,  just there last night for a Vandersteen meet and greet.  Alan is kind of stepping out of the business but Colin and the rest of the guys there are great to work with.

• Like 1