Consensus here on an old question

Just wondering what folks on this forum think about leaving solid-state electronics on all the time, versus turning them on when in use and off when not.

My pre-amp is a Rogue RP-9 with tubes, so I'm committed to getting up and walking over to the rack anyway. The amps are M5-HPAs, the speakers Quatros.

I leave ours on all the time, unless we are leaving the house for an extended period.

Solid state electronics do take time to reach thermal equilibrium and the proper operating temperature, which does affect the sound quality in many cases.  I can't say that it does in all cases, but my experience so far is that it does.  YMMV, etc.  Test equipment also has the same issues as does a lot of commercial products I worked on during my career.  This includes not only analog and RF electronics, but even lasers used in fiber optic systems.  I can cite loads of examples, even backed by measurements, but that gets off the point.

In addition, some of the most stressful times in the life of electronic gear is during the initial powering.  There is often a set of inrush currents that may be damaging as well as thermal shock.

It's true that some components age faster while being powered.  A good example is electrolytic capacitors, because the electrolyte tends to dry up over time.  This is largely a function of temperature, so being powered does affect this.  But, they dry up no matter what - it's just a question of how fast.

Tubes are obviously a different story because of how they work.

As I said, we do turn the power off when we leave for extended periods, just to avoid any problem with electrical storms.

I'll hasten to add that this is a hobby, and whatever you choose for yourself is by definition correct.

Edited by BKDad
korecktid badd spelink
  • Like 1

Solidstate should always be left on as it will enhance longevity.  Tubes should be turned off when done for the day but not cycled more than necessary.  If you listen in the morning and then again in the evening it will be easier on the tubes leaving them on during the day.  All of our subs and speakers with powered subs do not have switches for a reason and some of them are still working 30 years later even the electrolytic caps have very little ripple when in idle.  Our M7-HPA and M5-HPA are designed to go into standby every time listening is finished to restore the dielectrics in the circuitry.  I think pulling the plug makes sense when large storms are expected especially with lightning because surges and voltage spikes can damage any of our equipment.  One needs to do what they are comfortable with, but this is my opinion, YMMV.  RV

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

I think pulling the plug makes sense when large storms are expected especially with lightning because surges and voltage spikes can damage any of our equipment.  

Out this way, it isn't so much the lightning but having tree branches fall on the power lines from wind, rain, wet snow, and ice.  Sometimes all of those at once.  The resulting short across the power line is thrilling to observe, but it sure makes a mess.  

1 hour ago, DC-93 said:

Leave Power On or Turn it Off? | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Plenty of discussion here. As always, two sides to every coin.

No two sides to this coin on our products and we have 45 years of experience.  We still service everything we have ever made except the Model 4 and 4A as we made so few of them.  Great speaker but the size of a small refrigerator with a black sock was not "Significant Other" friendly.  Leave them plugged in except possibly during severe storms and vacation.  90% of the failures will occur when they are turned on or off as with a light bulb.  RV

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Solidstate should always be left on as it will enhance longevity.  Tubes should be turned off when done for the day but not cycled more than necessary.  If you listen in the morning and then again in the evening it will be easier on the tubes leaving them on during the day.  All of our subs and speakers with powered subs do not have switches for a reason and some of them are still working 30 years later even the electrolytic caps have very little ripple when in idle.  Our M7-HPA and M5-HPA are designed to go into standby every time listening is finished to restore the dielectrics in the circuitry.  I think pulling the plug makes sense when large storms are expected especially with lightning because surges and voltage spikes can damage any of our equipment.  One needs to do what they are comfortable with, but this is my opinion, YMMV.  RV

Just to be clear on the M5-HPAs, when you say they are designed to go into standby, you mean pushing the button on the front panel to get the green LED to put them into standby mode, right?