Jump to content

QX-5 twenty


Recommended Posts

QX-5 is functioning fine and I'm happy that at last I have entered into the world of streaming.  I know that there is more music to come out of the QX-5, and that some of you out there have 

experience with the unit.  I don't have a power conditioner nor do I have after market cables yet except for AudioQuest Diamond USB.  Can you advise on power conditioner, power cable, 

and ethernet cable.

I thought that streaming from a computer would have been just fine however I now understand that a streamer sounds much better.  Can I get some feedback from you all on your position concerning the use of streamers with the QX-5.

DJ

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me AQ cables are the way to go, as well as power conditioners.

Lots of decent streamers out there, but I went with Innuos as they have a nice line up at different price points, (and can use Roon-which I really like, but you don't have to use it).

I tried Aurrender, but found it too limiting (only Qobuz and Tidal). Bluesound has great interconnectivity, but not the quality hardware for more discerning listeners. IMHO.

B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m using a Lumin U1 Mini with my QX-5/20. I have only compared it with the internal ethernet on the QX-5, my MacBook Air, and with my analog front end. I find the Lumin sounds excellent and I like the Tidal Connect user interface and the Lumin app (controlled via my iphone or ipad) If the QX-5/20 could use the Tidal Connect UI option, I would sell the Lumin and stream via the QX-5.

No experience with conditioners or cables.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve tried everything including some borrowed exotics. AQ has won’t each time. Stay on your budget and enjoy the music. I had a large increase going from the Niagara 1000 to the 3000. That’s the sweet spot to me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have read comments about the U1 mini and how well it works and sounds. I recall reading that the Lumin doesn't  do USB and at  present USB is what I have been using.  I'm also using Qbuz  

and I'm awaiting a cheap ethernet cable to run from the QX-5.  Read something about mesh plug in that works with wifi.

I'm pretty much lost  right now but working through it all.

Heading out on a week cruise will get back on  after my return.  Thanks

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, dsisssup said:

reading that the Lumin doesn't  do USB

I’m using USB out of the Lumin into the QX-5/20 with great results. USB is the best output on the Lumin, and the new USB module in the Ayre is excellent.

Here is the Lumin U1 Mini specs page: https://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-u1-mini.html

I also use Qobuz, via the Lumin app, but prefer the usability of Tidal Connect. When Qobuz finally gets their Connect app released I’ll likely use it and decide between Tidal and Qobuz.

Hardwired ethernet is superior to wifi for streaming. I tried both. The reliability alone is worth it.

Once you get the digital front-end set up it’s pretty simple set-and-forget, the only maintenance is updating the apps from time to time. Every once in a while I have to power cycle the Lumin if it won’t connect and play music. 

Have a nice trip!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi D.J.    I am presently demoing DACs. The QX-5/20 is one I'm considering along with MSB Discrete, DCS Lina and possibly hybirds like Brinkmann Nyquist MK2 and Aesthetix Pandora Signature.

I recently bought an Aurender N20 and love it. I don't use ROON so that's a non issue, and many say it's Conductor app has a better SQ than the ROON  UI. The N20 has lots of digital outs with a great OXCO clock and also has a word clock input  ( Coaxial BNC 75Ω – 10MHz, 12.8MHz, 44.1-48kHz (multiples from 1-512x). BTW Aurender is working on ROON integration as we speak. The N20 took my little Altair G1 from a nice inexpensive one box unit to an amazing new level by using it as a DAC with the N20 feeding it using an $80  Audioquest  Cinnamon SPDIF cable.  If you can live without ROON or can wait for the integration I highly recommend a listen.

Also, being fairly new to streaming, customer support is ESSENTIAL for me.  Aurender support has already been great fixing a glitch that I caused during the initial network setup with Qobuz. It's an amazing time for digital audio. It took me 40 yrs since CDs first came out to embrace bits.

Bruce

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most know how much into digital I am.  I've tried way too many things, but the most important to me is feeding it all as clean a power supply as you can get (even more so than analog for some reason).  Then it's about making sure your ethernet connection is cleaned up.  Ayre has a small optical converter built into its module if I recall.  

After auditioning TONS of DAC's from 5k to 30k, I chose the Brinkmann Nyquist MS2 (I owned the QX5/20 since their day one and sold it for the Brinkmann).  If I could have afforded the MSB, I'd have gone that route with their better power base (an upgrade).  I use Wireworld ethernet cables and love them, but AQ ethernet are also very good as are others (very system dependent). 

My server/streamer is The Memory Player which is very special, but service isn't what it needs to be.  

What took my digital to the next level is the installation of Waverersa's EXT Ref unit.  I ran the EXT 1 for a bit and it blew me away as being so much more than just an optical transforming device that I have used for a long time.   Their new upgraded units are even better.  When I switched to their EXT Ref unit, that was surreal and now I'm daisy chaining my leftover EXT 1 with the Ref (another Wireworld cable), it's taken it to yet another level.  Bob is using one as are some others on here and will say similar things.

It comes down to your budget nad what you are looking for.  I have liked Innuos more than the Lumia, but both are outstanding. They just sound different based on notes I took when auditioning them.  

 

With all of this said, I have the under 2k Waversa streamer in to audition.  It's better than my built in streamer on the DAC.  I'm still comparing it to my The Memory Player's streamer, but it's hard without a pre in the system. I was able to get it to work once (I only have one Roon license and have to disconnect and reconnect the new one etc...  Roon makes it difficult to compare properly).  The Waversa sounded. better on the one album I was able to use.  Vandy dealers all sell external streamers and most are better than what's built in, but it also adds much more cost and cables and cords etc...  I know the Ayre streamer is very well designed and implemented.  I'd focus on the clean power aspect of the system and then look into something to clean up your ethernet connection, like the Waversa products.  I think Rutan sells them if I'm not mistaken.  Not sure who else other than direct from the US distributor (he's a good friend so maybe my listening is biased, but Bob's listening and Jim's isn't and both are on this forum).

I'll be interested to see this thread over time and see what you end up doing.  Thanks for letting us play on your journey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Most know how much into digital I am.  I've tried way too many things, but the most important to me is feeding it all as clean a power supply as you can get (even more so than analog for some reason).  Then it's about making sure your ethernet connection is cleaned up.  Ayre has a small optical converter built into its module if I recall.  

After auditioning TONS of DAC's from 5k to 30k, I chose the Brinkmann Nyquist MS2 (I owned the QX5/20 since their day one and sold it for the Brinkmann).  If I could have afforded the MSB, I'd have gone that route with their better power base (an upgrade).  I use Wireworld ethernet cables and love them, but AQ ethernet are also very good as are others (very system dependent). 

My server/streamer is The Memory Player which is very special, but service isn't what it needs to be.  

What took my digital to the next level is the installation of Waverersa's EXT Ref unit.  I ran the EXT 1 for a bit and it blew me away as being so much more than just an optical transforming device that I have used for a long time.   Their new upgraded units are even better.  When I switched to their EXT Ref unit, that was surreal and now I'm daisy chaining my leftover EXT 1 with the Ref (another Wireworld cable), it's taken it to yet another level.  Bob is using one as are some others on here and will say similar things.

It comes down to your budget nad what you are looking for.  I have liked Innuos more than the Lumia, but both are outstanding. They just sound different based on notes I took when auditioning them.  

 

With all of this said, I have the under 2k Waversa streamer in to audition.  It's better than my built in streamer on the DAC.  I'm still comparing it to my The Memory Player's streamer, but it's hard without a pre in the system. I was able to get it to work once (I only have one Roon license and have to disconnect and reconnect the new one etc...  Roon makes it difficult to compare properly).  The Waversa sounded. better on the one album I was able to use.  Vandy dealers all sell external streamers and most are better than what's built in, but it also adds much more cost and cables and cords etc...  I know the Ayre streamer is very well designed and implemented.  I'd focus on the clean power aspect of the system and then look into something to clean up your ethernet connection, like the Waversa products.  I think Rutan sells them if I'm not mistaken.  Not sure who else other than direct from the US distributor (he's a good friend so maybe my listening is biased, but Bob's listening and Jim's isn't and both are on this forum).

I'll be interested to see this thread over time and see what you end up doing.  Thanks for letting us play on your journey.

I used to read about people bitchen-n-moaning about power and did not understand it.
The TT is dead silent.

Then I got a DAC… and it was like being the 80s TRON movie with the all the computer noises.😄

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I completely agree with you.  I have NEVER thought of getting power cords in the past.  Why?  I never needed them.  I installed TWO separately grounded circuits with the AQ Edison outlets.  I was in heaven and the system sounded pretty good.  Then I got Hurricanes and it was wow.  Then a Dragon for the Niagara 3000 and MAN did that change everything.  

Digital is what it is.  I still don't know how we hear anything from 0's and 1's, but here we are...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I bought my QX-5/20 last March instead of upgrading my QB-9 DSD.  I stream from an Aurender N10 through USB - an AQ Diamond.  I caught the power bug about 18 months ago when my dealer sent me home with an AQ Niagara 5000 to “try” - he gets me with that tactic every time.  Not only did it do wonders reducing noise and bringing out more detail, it took my Ayre V5-xe amp to a whole new level - more dynamics and life.  That’s what sold me.  Of course, from there, out came the Shunyata, Acoustic Zen and other power cables, to be replaced by AQ Hurricanes, and then a Dragon into the 5000.  
 

Before my N10, I was using an Aurender N100H, and before that, an MacbookPro (with filtered PS).  Streaming is much better than regular computer solutions, and I subscribe to both Qobuz and Tidal for a wider musical selection.
 

Each addition brought about an improvement in sound; a refinement.  Have fun with the journey!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you all for the input addressing my Last comments.  Will try to respond to each of you .

My wife talked me into taking my first cruise (Smooth Jazz) and it will be my last. Caught Covid and still recovering.

DJ

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/1/2024 at 10:01 AM, ctsooner said:

I’ve tried everything including some borrowed exotics. AQ has won’t each time. Stay on your budget and enjoy the music. I had a large increase going from the Niagara 1000 to the 3000. That’s the sweet spot to me

Thanks. I thinking the Niagara 3000 but I was told that for my system I should go for the Niagara 5000. Don't want to spend more than needed. I'm hearing that there is a big difference in sound.

Also have a mixture of cabling and was advised to do all AudioQuest. Use the Thunder from the Niagara.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/1/2024 at 11:07 AM, ursus13 said:

I’m using USB out of the Lumin into the QX-5/20 with great results. USB is the best output on the Lumin, and the new USB module in the Ayre is excellent.

Here is the Lumin U1 Mini specs page: https://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-u1-mini.html

I also use Qobuz, via the Lumin app, but prefer the usability of Tidal Connect. When Qobuz finally gets their Connect app released I’ll likely use it and decide between Tidal and Qobuz.

Hardwired ethernet is superior to wifi for streaming. I tried both. The reliability alone is worth it.

Once you get the digital front-end set up it’s pretty simple set-and-forget, the only maintenance is updating the apps from time to time. Every once in a while I have to power cycle the Lumin if it won’t connect and play music. 

Have a nice trip!

Just recently had Johnathan Spelt down to set up my speakers (great guy) and he is a fan of Aurender. Suggested the N200 however I'm not sure that I want dive that deep yet.

What do you mean by, "hard wire".   I don't think it would be possible if you're  talking of running wire through the house.

Would like not to worry about a streamer for a while.

Thanks for your input

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/30/2024 at 9:15 AM, GdnrBob said:

For me AQ cables are the way to go, as well as power conditioners.

Lots of decent streamers out there, but I went with Innuos as they have a nice line up at different price points, (and can use Roon-which I really like, but you don't have to use it).

I tried Aurrender, but found it too limiting (only Qobuz and Tidal). Bluesound has great interconnectivity, but not the quality hardware for more discerning listeners. IMHO.

B

Thanks Bob.  I had thoughts of the Innuos but Now thinking about the Aurender.  Johnathan Spelt is a big fan.

In the past I could never hear the difference in power cables so power cables was never a part of my train of thought.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2024 at 11:47 AM, ctsooner said:

Most know how much into digital I am.  I've tried way too many things, but the most important to me is feeding it all as clean a power supply as you can get (even more so than analog for some reason).  Then it's about making sure your ethernet connection is cleaned up.  Ayre has a small optical converter built into its module if I recall.  

After auditioning TONS of DAC's from 5k to 30k, I chose the Brinkmann Nyquist MS2 (I owned the QX5/20 since their day one and sold it for the Brinkmann).  If I could have afforded the MSB, I'd have gone that route with their better power base (an upgrade).  I use Wireworld ethernet cables and love them, but AQ ethernet are also very good as are others (very system dependent). 

My server/streamer is The Memory Player which is very special, but service isn't what it needs to be.  

What took my digital to the next level is the installation of Waverersa's EXT Ref unit.  I ran the EXT 1 for a bit and it blew me away as being so much more than just an optical transforming device that I have used for a long time.   Their new upgraded units are even better.  When I switched to their EXT Ref unit, that was surreal and now I'm daisy chaining my leftover EXT 1 with the Ref (another Wireworld cable), it's taken it to yet another level.  Bob is using one as are some others on here and will say similar things.

It comes down to your budget nad what you are looking for.  I have liked Innuos more than the Lumia, but both are outstanding. They just sound different based on notes I took when auditioning them.  

 

With all of this said, I have the under 2k Waversa streamer in to audition.  It's better than my built in streamer on the DAC.  I'm still comparing it to my The Memory Player's streamer, but it's hard without a pre in the system. I was able to get it to work once (I only have one Roon license and have to disconnect and reconnect the new one etc...  Roon makes it difficult to compare properly).  The Waversa sounded. better on the one album I was able to use.  Vandy dealers all sell external streamers and most are better than what's built in, but it also adds much more cost and cables and cords etc...  I know the Ayre streamer is very well designed and implemented.  I'd focus on the clean power aspect of the system and then look into something to clean up your ethernet connection, like the Waversa products.  I think Rutan sells them if I'm not mistaken.  Not sure who else other than direct from the US distributor (he's a good friend so maybe my listening is biased, but Bob's listening and Jim's isn't and both are on this forum).

I'll be interested to see this thread over time and see what you end up doing.  Thanks for letting us play on your journey.

Sounds like I need to keep good contact with you. Would like not to make the mistakes of some when choosing a streamer.

I don't believe that I will be switching out DACS in the near future.

Your advice on cleaning the power up makes good sense to me.  I will concentrate on power cords and conditioner.

After the purchase of the QX-5 I thought my journey into digital was over. 

Appreciate your input and advice.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

 

It is never 'over', you just get to a point where it doesn't make sense to continue.

B

 

Tell if you can your feelings about  the sound quality or the difference in Aurender  and the Innuos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only have knowledge of the lower end Aurender N100, and the Innuos Zen Mini and Zen MK3's.

Both companies offer well made products, and, to be honest, I really couldn't hear a distinct sonic difference between them, as I wasn't able to have both to A/B them, But, in my opinion, both sounded and performed well. 

I went with Innuos in the end as it works with Roon (I normally don't spend on extra software, but Roon is pretty slick, and the integration is seamless). Aurender just wants to work with Aurender, in my opinion, and that is somewhat limiting to me.

B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...