Cosmic's updated system photo

Personally, I found the Quatro CTs to be a big step up from the Treo CTs.   But...  I didn't ever hear Treos with an array of subwoofers like the one you have.

Curious - did you ever try distributing the subwoofers around the room to average out the room nodes?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BKDad said:

Curious - did you ever try distributing the subwoofers around the room to average out the room nodes?

Indeed. Interesting question.

With my little micro subs I may have hit on good integration though it wasn't automatic, had to evate them off the floor.

• Like 1

The Rel line array is designed to be stacked rather than distributed.  I don’t hear any cancellation or exaggerated low end frequencies at all, so averaging out room nodes is not an issue.  I listen at moderate levels (70-80 decibels max) so the bass impact is not at freight train levels.   The subs add an element of solidity and clarity across all frequencies (believe it or not) that is quite surprising and natural.  I believe (hope) that the sub on the Quattro and Kento would be easily integrated, but I don’t know.  That’s the question:  maybe the Treo’s are all I need.  But we all know there’s always an upgrade.

• Like 1

Having dabbled extensively with single and later on a pair of 2wq’s with 2CEs, I found the  integration of subs in the Quatro’s to be way superior than what I was able to accomplish with the 2wqs. There was definitely a space limitation  for me which compromised  the sound and if I would have had more options to place the subwoofers I could have gotten the best out of them.

Nevertheless, after listening to the Quatro and it’s formidable authority and jaw dropping control on  bass regardless of the volume, I am done venturing on the path of separate subs. 

Edited by stratocaster
  • Like 1

The upgrade to Quatro is really big for most of us from the Treo.  I was floored at what the Quatro could do in the 100 on up let alone down to the 30's.  The Quatro is the true sweet spot in the lineup for my money.  That said, if you are able to push for the Kento's, it's MUCH closer to the 7 Extreme than to the Quatro.  I'd love to hear others thoughts on that.  

On 2/10/2024 at 7:43 PM, Cosmic said:

The Rel line array is designed to be stacked rather than distributed.  I don’t hear any cancellation or exaggerated low end frequencies at all, so averaging out room nodes is not an issue.  I listen at moderate levels (70-80 decibels max) so the bass impact is not at freight train levels.   The subs add an element of solidity and clarity across all frequencies (believe it or not) that is quite surprising and natural.  I believe (hope) that the sub on the Quattro and Kento would be easily integrated, but I don’t know.  That’s the question:  maybe the Treo’s are all I need.  But we all know there’s always an upgrade.

I had a pretty straightforward time integrating Kento low end with a pair of Fathom f113s.  Improvements across all frequencies were huge for me going from Quatro CT to Kento.  Seems many noted the same going from Treo to Quatro. 

• Like 1

@Cosmic  Quite an impressive DAC. I was wondering what the 3rd box was. Do you feel the Director adds a lot to the Premier or is it more incremental? I am considering an MSB Discrete which I will be comparing to an Ayre QX-5(20) and DCS Lina. What did the Premier replace?

Bruce

• Like 1

@Bruskie I had the Discrete (get the second power supply for sure) and liked it a lot.  The Premiere was a full step up, and the Director yet another full step from there.   Definitely not an incremental improvement! I have an Innuos Pulsar streamer.  My system is streaming only and my theory is to focus on the front end first.  You will be blown away by the Discrete!  I have not heard the Ayer or the Lina, so sorry I can’t compare.

@Dimensional Purity 👍👍

• Like 1

@Cosmic  I will be home demoing the discrete very soon feeding it with my Aurender N20. I live in Colorado and there were no MSB dealers in the state. I called Vince Galbo (the US sales manager) and within 2 weeks he arranged for a dealer to pick up the line so I could demo it. Vince has a sterling reputation on the "What's Best Forum" and now I know why. I also am very attracted to their trade up policy. 

Did you get 100% (minus the 2nd PS) trade toward the Premier? 

Digital has come so far that I am finally jumping in at a high level after all these years. Quite an evolution since the 1980s perfect sound forever CDs  😂

Bruce

• Like 1

@Bruskie I had the Discrete (get the second power supply for sure) and liked it a lot.  The Premiere was a full step up, and the Director yet another full step from there.   Definitely not an incremental improvement! I have an Innuos Pulsar streamer.  My system is streaming only and my theory is to focus on the front end first.  You will be blown away by the Discrete!  I have not heard the Ayer or the Lina, so sorry I can’t compare.

@Dimensional Purity 👍👍

Yes, got 100% trade in, including  both power supplies.   The trade up policy is a huge plus, and Vince is terrific to deal with.   And yes, digital has come a long way, and for my money, is the way to go.  Particularly if you count the vast library of music available on streaming.  

On 2/18/2024 at 4:20 PM, Dimensional Purity said:

I too found that the Quatro sub bass was phenomenal and nicely integrated.   More than enough bass, although I would like to here those stacks in my room.

I love bass!    Larry

I'm with you Larry!

I love bass!   (And I want to hear those REL stacks) 

Frank