Acoustic Treatments that Disrupt Vandersteen Time and Phase Alignment

I am curious whether any forum members have experienced a decrease in sound clarity, depth, and/or focus from their Vandersteen loudspeakers as a result of installing a certain type of acoustic treatment? My reading about different types of diffusers indicates that certain diffuser designs work by distorting the timing or phase relationships within sound reflections. This “distorting” seems like it would not be ideal for most critical-listening applications, but I wonder if it is especially damaging to the sound output from a properly set up Vandersteen loudspeaker, which aims for time and phase alignment of all drivers?

I use a variety of acoustic treatments in my different audio systems, primarily Stillpoints Aperture II and Acoustic Sciences Corporation TubeTraps, and I find that when used sparingly the music sounds better compared to when no acoustic treatments are present. I especially appreciate the sense of enhanced sound ambience, layering, and detail with TubeTraps installed floor to ceiling in the front corners behind my Quatro Wood CT. In addition, I find the Stillpoints Aperture II effective when placed in a stacked configuration at the first reflection points. Of course, I rerun the Vandertones and bass EQ sequence after significantly changing acoustic treatments.

I sense that this is not a straightforward matter, so maybe I should remain blissfully ignorant - after all, the music sounds darn good.

10 minutes ago, Schuesmp said:

I am curious whether any forum members have experienced a decrease in sound clarity, depth, and/or focus from their Vandersteen loudspeakers as a result of installing a certain type of acoustic treatment? My reading about different types of diffusers indicates that certain diffuser designs work by distorting the timing or phase relationships within sound reflections. This “distorting” seems like it would not be ideal for most critical-listening applications, but I wonder if it is especially damaging to the sound output from a properly set up Vandersteen loudspeaker, which aims for time and phase alignment of all drivers?

I use a variety of acoustic treatments in my different audio systems, primarily Stillpoints Aperture II and Acoustic Sciences Corporation TubeTraps, and I find that when used sparingly the music sounds better compared to when no acoustic treatments are present. I especially appreciate the sense of enhanced sound ambience, layering, and detail with TubeTraps installed floor to ceiling in the front corners behind my Quatro Wood CT. In addition, I find the Stillpoints Aperture II effective when placed in a stacked configuration at the first reflection points. Of course, I rerun the Vandertones and bass EQ sequence after significantly changing acoustic treatments.

I sense that this is not a straightforward matter, so maybe I should remain blissfully ignorant - after all, the music sounds darn good.

One should not doubt what their ears tell them.  If it sounds good, it is good!!  RV

1 hour ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

One should not doubt what their ears tell them.  If it sounds good, it is good!!  RV

Thanks for the reply, Richard.

However, expressed with a touch of sarcasm, had I not doubted what my ears told me when I was 24 years old, happily jamming to my music played back through a Circuit City special, I may be sans Vandersteen even today. The day I decided to visit Bradford's Home Entertainment in Eugene, Oregon changed everything. Fond memories...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Schuesmp said:

However, expressed with a touch of sarcasm, had I not doubted what my ears told me when I was 24 years old, happily jamming to my music played back through a Circuit City special, I may be sans Vandersteen even today. The day I decided to visit Bradford's Home Entertainment in Eugene, Oregon changed everything. Fond memories...

You are in good hands with Tim because it is a journey even for me.  RV

10 hours ago, Schuesmp said:

That second pair of speakers in the room will mess with time and phase more than any room treatment ever will!  RV

28 minutes ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

That second pair of speakers in the room will mess with time and phase more than any room treatment ever will!  RV

Ah! I presume you are referring to my Vandersteen Forum profile image, which shows a pair of vintage JBL L300 Summit placed next to the Quatro Wood CT. I took that photo right after acquiring the JBL and used it for my forum profile image to show that I enjoy different flavors of loudspeakers. The JBL and the Vandersteen are a good 30 feet apart these days.

Time for an updated profile image, I think.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Schuesmp said:

Ah! I presume you are referring to my Vandersteen Forum profile image, which shows a pair of vintage JBL L300 Summit placed next to the Quatro Wood CT. I took that photo right after acquiring the JBL and used it for my forum profile image to show that I enjoy different flavors of loudspeakers. The JBL and the Vandersteen are a good 30 feet apart these days.

Time for an updated profile image, I think.

If they are in the same room distance doesn't matter as they will still smear the sound field at the listening position. I look at profile images all the time because it helps me know how to make our products better for the users.  RV

• Like 1

When I visited Bradford's last summer Tim set up a small Rogue Audio/budget table MM cart so I could hear the "new" 2Ce Sig. III's. I learned how the 2Ce Sig. III's sound relative to the 2Ce Sig. II's I currently run. Thanks, Tim

Cody

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

If they are in the same room distance doesn't matter as they will still smear the sound field at the listening position. I look at profile images all the time because it helps me know how to make our products better for the users.  RV

Helpful to know. I appreciate the feedback, Richard.

The placement of the Vandersteen and the JBL in a roughly 1,800 square foot space is illustrated as follows:

image.png.b2778e3061bd74942ade7b569281ec55.png

18 minutes ago, Oregon said:

When I visited Bradford's last summer Tim set up a small Rogue Audio/budget table MM cart so I could hear the "new" 2Ce Sig. III's. I learned how the 2Ce Sig. III's sound relative to the 2Ce Sig. II's I currently run. Thanks, Tim

Cody

Even though I moved from Eugene to Portland back in 2005, I purchased my Quatro Wood CT from Tim at Bradfords in 2018. Fine folks there. 

• Like 1

I lived many years in Eugene and I always got my Vandersteen speakers from Tim at Bradfords --I started with the 3A signatures. A couple of years ago, I got the Quatro CTs and the M5-HPA mono blocks also from Tim, although now I live in Portland as Schuesmp does. Tim is a wonderful person. 

• Like 2