Do you use an EQ in your system?

4 minutes ago, olds1959special said:

Before or after your pre-amp?

EQ circuits are complicated and have many parts so I would put it in the tape monitor loop so good recording that don't need EQ won't take the significant sonic degradation.  Even in bi-pass mode they are not very transparent sounding.  RV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

EQ circuits are complicated and have many parts so I would put it in the tape monitor loop so good recording that don't need EQ won't take the significant sonic degradation.  Even in bi-pass mode they are not very transparent sounding.  RV

I agree that adding an EQ is not ideal. I probably have some hearing loss so I often like to add treble at around 8kHz. I use a Schiit Loki which does not add audible noise. Usually I use the EQ with treble boosted for watching movies, which I use with a specific DAC. But tonight I decided to try to hook it up after the preamp, so it would affect all my sources. Interestingly, I noticed that after doing that, when I turned on the pre-amp circuitry it no longer boosted the signal. So I could leave it in passive mode and it sounded better that way. Before this it sounded better in active mode.

Edited by olds1959special

I have a bit of upper frequency loss in my left ear. I don't try to compensate, I just listen as I would normally do. Though I might turn the balance a bit to the left on the preamp, or just sit a little closer to the left speaker. Some things can't be changed, so just make the best of it.-And, your brain will probably do enough to balance things out, too.

B

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have the PEQ setting for the 2C and VCC, and use the EQ built into  the HT system.

However when on 2 channel, I am not using that.
The FIR based EQ, like Dirac, does have some allure… but I think somewhat less allure with a time & phase correct speaker.
It would certainly sharpen up the impulse response of a non time and phase correct speaker.

• Like 1