Does anyone have any experience using the Model 5a without the bonnets?  RV says that the speakers were designed to have the bonnets in place.  I never dire move them so that's why I'm asking the question.  I'm not challenging the man himself, just curious to know if anyone has conducted a decent A/B compariso and detailed the sonic differences..  Another dimension to this is aesthetics.  While there are some stupendously beautiful speakers on the market today with complex curved cabinets, many still retain the rectangular box with the drivers staring at the listener.  Personally, I think that the circles and the contoured black upper cabinet add some charm the the 5a.  But I wouldn't go down this route if removing the bonnets would compromise the wonderful sound.  There must have been some consideration of this since the Kento and the Model 7 are bonnet-less and look like the 5 without the bonnet.  Haven't seen any comments wishing these speakers had bonnets like the 5.  

Jim Meucci, Atlanta

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Meucci said:

Does anyone have any experience using the Model 5a without the bonnets?  RV says that the speakers were designed to have the bonnets in place.  I never dire move them so that's why I'm asking the question.  I'm not challenging the man himself, just curious to know if anyone has conducted a decent A/B compariso and detailed the sonic differences..  Another dimension to this is aesthetics.  While there are some stupendously beautiful speakers on the market today with complex curved cabinets, many still retain the rectangular box with the drivers staring at the listener.  Personally, I think that the circles and the contoured black upper cabinet add some charm the the 5a.  But I wouldn't go down this route if removing the bonnets would compromise the wonderful sound.  There must have been some consideration of this since the Kento and the Model 7 are bonnet-less and look like the 5 without the bonnet.  Haven't seen any comments wishing these speakers had bonnets like the 5.  

Jim Meucci, Atlanta

The SEVENS and KENTO's are also designed to be listened to with the grills on.  The Bonnets and grills are always there when we adjust (tweak) the crossover in the chamber because they eliminate diffraction (and help protect expensive drivers) which is a time distortion.  Try listening to them without the bonnets because it won't hurt anything but be careful to not get impressed short term with the peeks and dips created by the sharp shelf (diffraction) around the whole speaker which is diffused by the internal construction under the fabric of the bonnet.  Back in the day I used the bonnet because making the constrained layer head (which will show cracks over time as evidence it is working) was very important sonically and finding a way to make it attractive would have added 30-40% to the price of the speaker.  Most woman prefer speakers without the eyeballs visible and they add a degree of protection without any sonic degradation, in fact if properly designed and integrated with wave guides around the drivers can improve driver integration, IMO.  RV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Richard.  It's funny as I am just programed.  I've never even tried to take the grills off and probably never will.  I always took them off when I had Proac's and all the other's I've owned over the years.