Biamped versus Bridged?

I suppose I can figure this out with a meter or some other data capture…
Looking at an amp that can be bridged to make 200W (into 8ohms) or do bi-amp.

If there was some analogue or digital filtering was used for the crossover, then it would be an easy decision to set it up as bi-amp.
But the low frequencies will be riding on both the top and bottom channels, so (I believe that) one does not really get a lot of benefit in biamping.

Is there any way to work thins out other than just listen?
The alternative is a single amp… and then have it power the left and right speaker. Rather than 2 amps in Bi-amp or in bridged mode.
That is also a bit less cost.

Thoughts appreciated?

And then assuming I am running the HPFs… is it possible to overspend on the amp(s)?
Seems like it is possible.

• Like 1

@Holmz not sure what your end goal is here. However, if you are using the hpf's I am assuming that you are using the sub. If you are using the sub then you don't need 200W especially if you are using Vandersteens. It's nice to have that kind of wattage at your disposal but not a necessity unless you are playing concert venue volumes.  I have dabbled extensively with vertical, horizontal biamping and the best sound is from a pair of dedicated monoblocks. The second best is vertical biamping however, only if the sonic characteristics are the same. I have two stereo amps that are the same model but their input impedance is different due to the difference in components used (evident from the serial numbers being way apart). As far as horizontal biamping is concerned, it's not worth the hassle..

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stratocaster said:

@Holmz not sure what your end goal is here..

^I am not sure either^… 😄

Thinking I will just try to like the PrimaLuna for a while longer… but I am getting a strong urge to change out the amp.
I should probably just get everything tidied up for now.

• Haha 1

Randal’s posts are awesome. He doesn’t just do what many of us do, but he also realizes that he’s playing and not always finding the best sound.  I love the DIY stud as I posted on another thread. I just don’t have the desire to DO it anymore. Fun to keep up on. ,

10 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Randal’s posts are awesome. He doesn’t just do what many of us do, but he also realizes that he’s playing and not always finding the best sound.  I love the DIY stud as I posted on another thread. I just don’t have the desire to DO it anymore. Fun to keep up on. ,

Actually these amps I am looking at are designed to do bi-amp with a switch on the back for stereo/bi-amp/bridged… so they are not like me using the $70 AIYAMA jobs on the surround channels.
They seem like they are actually decent amps.
Or at least they are priced like they are special… so I might (likely) with just use one stereo amp.

• Like 1