M5-HPB Highpass Filter Settings

I know it's a bit late in the game to be asking this question but please humor me. I am using an Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse Stereo amplifier to drive my Quatro Wood CTs. I am using the Vandersteen Highpass Filters between the output of the preamp and the input of the amp. The amp is being used in the Direct Mode.

The amplifier specs call out an Input Impedance of 470K ohms for each phase, balanced or single-ended. I am using the balanced XLR input connections.

The M5-HPB instructions note the various dip switch choices depending on the amplifier input impedance, however, it states that amplifier INPUT Impedance is the sum of the Positive and Negative LEG.

My question is this: Am I to understand that each phase as noted in the amp specs is equal to a Positive or Negative LEG as described in the filter instructions? Therefore, 470 x2 = 940K ohms?  Or should I select 470K ohms as my summed input impedance under the assumption that phase and leg are two different things? 

Should I be setting the cross-over dip switches for 300K (switch 4) or 600K (switch 8 ) ?  Or if I should indeed sum the two, maybe I should choose 1M since 470 X 2 =940 which is a lot closer to 1M than the lower figure of 600?

Thank you all for your feedback.

1 hour ago, Gsal said:

I know it's a bit late in the game to be asking this question but please humor me. I am using an Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse Stereo amplifier to drive my Quatro Wood CTs. I am using the Vandersteen Highpass Filters between the output of the preamp and the input of the amp. The amp is being used in the Direct Mode.

The amplifier specs call out an Input Impedance of 470K ohms for each phase, balanced or single-ended. I am using the balanced XLR input connections.

The M5-HPB instructions note the various dip switch choices depending on the amplifier input impedance, however, it states that amplifier INPUT Impedance is the sum of the Positive and Negative LEG.

My question is this: Am I to understand that each phase as noted in the amp specs is equal to a Positive or Negative LEG as described in the filter instructions? Therefore, 470 x2 = 940K ohms?  Or should I select 470K ohms as my summed input impedance under the assumption that phase and leg are two different things? 

Should I be setting the cross-over dip switches for 300K (switch 4) or 600K (switch 8 ) ?  Or if I should indeed sum the two, maybe I should choose 1M since 470 X 2 =940 which is a lot closer to 1M than the lower figure of 600?

Thank you all for your feedback.

The sum would be 940K so this is what you would use.  The early M5-HP(B)'s did not have a 1M option, but our dealers were all informed on how, but I am at home without this info.  One would discover these switch setting be doing the voltmeter/test disc experiment by playing with different combinations of switch(s) 3,4,5,6,7 &8.  Have you asked John how to set this correctly as it is his responsibility to know?  RV

1 hour ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

The sum would be 940K so this is what you would use.  The early M5-HP(B)'s did not have a 1M option, but our dealers were all informed on how, but I am at home without this info.  One would discover these switch setting be doing the voltmeter/test disc experiment by playing with different combinations of switch(s) 3,4,5,6,7 &8.  Have you asked John how to set this correctly as it is his responsibility to know?  RV

Now that's Customer Service!! And on a Holiday weekend no less. No one in the industry, no one, is as responsive as Richard Vandersteen.  Kudos to you  sir and thank you for your prompt reply.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stratocaster said:

@Gsal my Manley amps have a 475K ohm input impedance and I was able to get the .7 volt reading by turning on switches 3,4,5. You might want to check that combination.

Thank you very muchl