Darko interview with Jesco Lohan

Definitely an interesting POV from this pro acoustics guy. A few takeaways:

• He doesn't work in home hifi space because most of the customers can't or won't do what he'd recommend
  • For home hifi, he thinks adding bass trapping is the highest priority and that it will provide benefit across the frequency spectrum
  • For home hifi, if forced to choose only one surface to treat, he thinks ceilings are often the best candidate

FWIW, these suggestions counter my personal experience over 30+ years of experimenting in 10 homes and about a dozen speakers(dynamic and dipole panels). 

The big takeaway for me was that the genius of Vandersteen adjustable bass gives me a deck full of aces while this pro has concluded that most home hifi users are drawing to inside straights after placing huge bets on their gear. 😄  

• Like 2

I remember a post from a year or two ago that Darko moved to new digs and immediately had a company treat his room. It was a very stark room, and had no furniture in it, if I remember correctly. I thought it odd that he would do room correction before furnishing it.

B

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I remember a post from a year or two ago that Darko moved to new digs and immediately had a company treat his room. It was a very stark room, and had no furniture in it, if I remember correctly. I thought it odd that he would do room correction before furnishing it.

B

He makes a living with click's and not audio.  I agree on what you guys have stated.  The adjustable bass saves us so much time and money.  Get that correct and deal with the first reflection and you are off to a great start in making the room sound better.  I would love to have a pro come in and hear what they have to say about my set up.  That said, I may not take their advice.  One of the best set ups I ever heard was the System 9 at Audio Alternative in CO. Rick just get's it.  It's a huge open floor (ranch) and he has them set up to utilize the huge open area as well as the hallways.  He uses his albums to diffuse and I don't think much else.  It just sounded amazing.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sbank said:

Definitely an interesting POV from this pro acoustics guy. A few takeaways:

• He doesn't work in home hifi space because most of the customers can't or won't do what he'd recommend
  • For home hifi, he thinks adding bass trapping is the highest priority and that it will provide benefit across the frequency spectrum
  • For home hifi, if forced to choose only one surface to treat, he thinks ceilings are often the best candidate

FWIW, these suggestions counter my personal experience over 30+ years of experimenting in 10 homes and about a dozen speakers(dynamic and dipole panels). 

The big takeaway for me was that the genius of Vandersteen adjustable bass gives me a deck full of aces while this pro has concluded that most home hifi users are drawing to inside straights after placing huge bets on their gear. 😄  

Yeah no…

Almost everything is dominated by pink noise and frequency domain measurements.
The pots on the back of the speakers are an EQ to work that.

However the RT60 measurements from a while back is a good example of a time domain description.

But it is also hard to snap one’s fingers and get room modes,.. and hard to make low frequency musical notes not be sustained notes over a long time.

IMO, Ideally there would be some treatments first, and some clean up with the speaker EQ at the end.