Quatro Wood to upgraded 5A?

I have the opportunity to buy a used set of what I believe are 5As. The serial numbers are sequential around 1300, and only one of the serial numbers has an A after the number. That makes me believe they were an upgraded set of original 5s, but it is odd only one has the “A”.

A couple questions: 

Is there any way to visually confirm they are 5A vs. 5? They do have the woven driver.

If they are 5As, any reason they would not make sense over my wood Quatros? Room size is 13’x19’ and opens to another room on one side.

I know the real move up would be to carbon models, but that is out of the price range currently.

Thanks to all of the experts out there!

1 hour ago, MNSki said:

I have the opportunity to buy a used set of what I believe are 5As. The serial numbers are sequential around 1300, and only one of the serial numbers has an A after the number. That makes me believe they were an upgraded set of original 5s, but it is odd only one has the “A”.

A couple questions: 

Is there any way to visually confirm they are 5A vs. 5? They do have the woven driver.

If they are 5As, any reason they would not make sense over my wood Quatros? Room size is 13’x19’ and opens to another room on one side.

I know the real move up would be to carbon models, but that is out of the price range currently.

Thanks to all of the experts out there!

Your Quatro Wood's would be noticeably better except for the bass but in a room your size the Quatro Wood has plenty of cone area in the 4 each 8-inch woofers for great bass.  All of the drivers are serviceable in the Quatro series but some of the drivers in the 5 series are in short supply with no suitable replacement available.  I would stand pat until a Treo CT, Quatro CT or 5A Carbon show up used within your budget.  5A speaker are identified by an "A" after the serial number which may have been forgotten during the upgrade at the factory as we only did the upgrades in pairs.  We do not have any info archived other than the info on our web site under "Product I.D.  RV

18 minutes ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

Your Quatro Wood's would be noticeably better except for the bass but in a room your size the Quatro Wood has plenty of cone area in the 4 each 8-inch woofers for great bass.  All of the drivers are serviceable in the Quatro series but some of the drivers in the 5 series are in short supply with no suitable replacement available.  I would stand pat until a Treo CT, Quatro CT or 5A Carbon show up used within your budget.  5A speaker are identified by an "A" after the serial number which may have been forgotten during the upgrade at the factory as we only did the upgrades in pairs.  We do not have any info archived other than the info on our web site under "Product I.D.  RV

Thank you, Richard. I’ll remain happy with my Quatro Woods with an eye out for carbons in the future.

Not really a problem because most failures happen when someone is first setting them up and not familiar with the ins and outs.  Shipping damage is responsible for some damage also, but the speakers are very robust and rarely fail.  You have used yours for years without problems and this is normal.  Power problems can take out a sub amp every now and then but even that is rare.  Not to worry!  RV