Long term differences in how speakers age in different regions

While browsing ads for used Vandies, and seeing some in South Florida it got me thinking about how far I'd realistically travel to upgrade my setup. Which led to me thinking about said topic.

In a hypothetical perfect world where everything else was equal,  would you prefer to purchase a pair of 20+ year old speakers from a certain type of environment? I guess I'm mainly wondering how much differently speakers age in different regions.  Ones that are always humid versus changing seasonally. 

Edited by mbrennan5

I'd assume that if they are in FL, they are in a house with climate control year round.  If things are in a humid and even salt air environment, maybe they would be affected negatively.  I know that veneers hate too much humidity.  

• Like 1

On 6/18/2024 at 5:39 PM, mbrennan5 said:

While browsing ads for used Vandies, and seeing some in South Florida it got me thinking about how far I'd realistically travel to upgrade my setup. Which led to me thinking about said topic.

In a hypothetical perfect world where everything else was equal,  would you prefer to purchase a pair of 20+ year old speakers from a certain type of environment? I guess I'm mainly wondering how much differently speakers age in different regions.  Ones that are always humid versus changing seasonally. 

I don't think this is much of a factor as most homes are climate controlled.  I would get the newest pair, so you take advantage of the many improvements we have made along the way.   Always listen to the pair you are buying to make sure they are working properly and you like how they sound.  RV

• Like 3

As previously said, go for the newest and best condition you can afford. Thanks to a (massive) whole-house dehumidifier in our house here in South Carolina, I have a much more stable indoor air quality that I did in Seattle. Location alone won’t tell the whole story. IMG_6030.thumb.png.581c365c97459e20636f37d9f2111cf1.png

• Like 1

I use a whole house dehumidfier in my basement. It really keeps things nice and dry down there, as well as the rest of the house. When buying used, you should ask lots of questions of the condition the speakers were in.

B

• Like 1