Kento Acoustic Center?

I’m interested in getting a feel for what initial placement would be for a pair of Kentos in my room.  Since I measure in from each side wall and out from the front wall to the lower edges of the speaker, I’m trying to understand how far in from the front edge of the speaker base the acoustic center is, assuming no initial tilt.

I would appreciate insight from anyone who has set these up.  Thanks.

I find it easier to measure from the top center of the speaker which is approximately in line with the tweeter and use the room divisions recommended in the manual to get you close. Right now I’m 55” in from the side wall and 48” from the front wall with no toe in, but I’m always tweaking as I still don’t think I found the ideal position. This weekend I changed from a slight toe in to no toe in and went slightly wider and deeper into the room. I feel it opened up the soundstage especially for mono recordings. 

Thanks for your responses.

Delkat - For initial setup, I prefer to measure from the base - that eliminates concerns the speakers being tilted differently (both side to side, and front to back).  Probably doesn’t introduce a huge error, but I find it easier to lay the tape measure on the floor so I can eye my preferred distance on the tape while I have both hands free to position the speaker.  Regarding your toe-in comment, I found the same setup issues on my 3A Signatures where little changes in toe-in or position would make sizable differences in sound.

Bob - I’m purchasing new.  I know dealer knows best, but he’s out of pocket for a couple days while the power company repairs his service  - has his power, internet and phone down.  I can always wait until the speakers are delivered but I want to get out ahead of it for placement planning purposes, and to see if I need to move any thing like electrical outlets to better accommodate the speakers.

Now, the manual states that acoustic center is “at the top front center of the grille frame”.  Does that mean centered on the top front edge of the speaker, where it meets the grill?  Or is it the top front center (edge) of the grille assembly when mounted to the speaker?

Hopefully, someone can answer that question here; otherwise, I’ll ask my dealer when I talk to him next.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Delkat said:

I find it easier to measure from the top center of the speaker which is approximately in line with the tweeter and use the room divisions recommended in the manual to get you close. Right now I’m 55” in from the side wall and 48” from the front wall with no toe in, but I’m always tweaking as I still don’t think I found the ideal position. This weekend I changed from a slight toe in to no toe in and went slightly wider and deeper into the room. I feel it opened up the soundstage especially for mono recordings. 

The exact acoustical center is not critical so I would use the center of the grille on the top surface.  What is critical are the ratios referenced to one point so whatever one chooses for the acoustical center, be consistent!  RV

• Like 2

On 7/1/2024 at 8:03 PM, MusicForDave said:

Thanks for your responses.

"that eliminates concerns the speakers being tilted differently (both side to side, and front to back). "

Under what circumstances would it be advisable to have differing front-to-back tilt? My understanding is that using the chart in your manual front-to-back tilt should be set based on listening distance and ear height when seated. Wouldn't this always be the same for both speakers? ...assuming a flat floor.

• Like 1

A floor that is not flat, but the focal point is still most important.  Use a laser pointer on top of the speaker and tilt the speaker until the red dot is 8 inches above your ears.  Use a cardboard box in your listening chair with a mark 8 inches above your measured ear height.  This method is more accurate, sounds better and works with the KENTO, Quatro and Treo speakers.  RV

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/7/2024 at 9:44 AM, Richard Vandersteen said:

A floor that is not flat, but the focal point is still most important.  Use a laser pointer on top of the speaker and tilt the speaker until the red dot is 8 inches above your ears.  Use a cardboard box in your listening chair with a mark 8 inches above your measured ear height.  This method is more accurate, sounds better and works with the KENTO, Quatro and Treo speakers.  RV

I found this to be so easy to do, even by myself..  Doing this step is when I realized that you have two different washer thicknesses.  I often play Capt Obvious in real life 😉