Vandersteens are not just made for looks!

I've noticed a lot of people online are impressed by pretty pictures of big amps and speakers, but Vandersteens are not just made for looks. I wonder if many "audiophiles" out there are swayed by looks? Even worse, by large price tags?

Edited by olds1959special

I used to own a side hustle upholstery company.  Used only Spinneybeck leather, which was quite expensive. Standard on Knoll furniture. Critics would say, “leather doesn’t make a car faster”.  True. But it doesn’t make it any slower, either.  If you can make something that performs and looks nice, why not have both?  If there were optional zebra wood panels that could bolt on to the sides of my M5 amps (like accuphase, etc) I would be a customer!

I’m sort of swayed by looks of speakers I guess. I would never own a pair of Wilson’s for example, because of what they look like.  Dead serious with that response.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonM said:

I used to own a side hustle upholstery company.  Used only Spinneybeck leather, which was quite expensive. Standard on Knoll furniture. Critics would say, “leather doesn’t make a car faster”.  True. But it doesn’t make it any slower, either.  If you can make something that performs and looks nice, why not have both?  If there were optional zebra wood panels that could bolt on to the sides of my M5 amps (like accuphase, etc) I would be a customer!

I’m sort of swayed by looks of speakers I guess. I would never own a pair of Wilson’s for example, because of what they look like.  Dead serious with that response.  

Sorry, every Vandersteen is form follows function but workmanship that matters is our first priority!  I think our products look good, are functional and represent value as that is our style having said that wood panels on the side of the M5-HPA would look good and not affect their operation.  Jon, when you finish yours, please send me a picture you may have a new side hustle.  RV

• Like 2

On 7/10/2024 at 4:00 PM, JonM said:

On 7/10/2024 at 5:26 PM, Richard Vandersteen said:

Sorry, every Vandersteen is form follows function but workmanship that matters is our first priority!  I think our products look good, are functional and represent value as that is our style having said that wood panels on the side of the M5-HPA would look good and not affect their operation.  Jon, when you finish yours, please send me a picture you may have a new side hustle.  RV

Too funny that you posted that Richard.  As most know, I am a woodworker.  I too have been thinking about making quarter sawn oak panels and finishing them in the same finish that I have on my other Arts and Craft furniture in the loft. Even next to my Audi Havanna Black painted Quatro's, the wood would look GREAT.  

IF I do this, I'll be making a 'cap' that would be three sides and fit over the top of the amps.  There would be cuts out for the cooling openings.  I've been concerned with cooling of the sides and top of the amps though and it's why haven't done it yet.  I did make some really cool plinths for them to sit on top of the carpet.  What I really need are HRS platforms for the amps and then I'll do the wood covers if it won't harm their cooling......

On 7/13/2024 at 4:29 PM, ctsooner said:

IF I do this, I'll be making a 'cap' that would be three sides and fit over the top of the amps.  There would be cuts out for the cooling openings. 

I was thinking just slabs of wood for each side of the amps. Top would be as-is. The side slabs would pick up 4 of Richard’s screw locations, then we just use longer screws based on the thickness of the slabs (probably 3/4” ish). We are adding mass, even if we use MDF with veneer so we would have to think about the current HRS feet. 

• Like 1

I currently have small plants in front of the amps for the wife.  They are next to the speakers and I use tall plants on each side of the TV, so it looks like it fits in esthetically.  I asked the wife about putting the panels on and she said why bother....they are hidden already.  I guess I'll spend that time doing some music listening, lol.  That was sudden (I had already chosen various pieces of wood I'd use.  

You brought up another question.  Would that extra couple of pounds make any difference in the footers?  I assume the springs have some sort of range so it wouldn't matter.  

• Like 1