Thank You For This Forum

I have completed my "forever" hifi system yesterday with the addition of the AI Modulus 2C that I first heard mentioned here on this forum by Holmz. The pre-amp has been fully repaired by the wonderful people at Precision Sound in Santa Monica and it lives again.  This is shortly after getting the 2Ce Sig II speakers and four identical Kenwood L-05M mono block power amps. I play digital audio content off Quboz through my SMSL DO100 Pro DAC with digital volume control. The 32-bit digital volume control on the DAC allows me to control volume with the remote and reduce the level of the input, making the pre-amp function with modern sources, in a more modern way (one volume control instead of two, with remote control). This system is very important to me as it gives me an escape into the land of music exploration, and it sounds pretty good for watching TV and movies too (a little boost of treble would be nice for this but not if it compromises the sound of the system for straight music playback.) Now that I've gotten everything working I am going to leave it alone. No touching tubes, wires, or anything like that. I'm using WBC Mogami 2964 cables throughout. 6 foot interconnects from pre-amp to amps. 0.5foot between DAC and pre-amp. I also use a Furman AC-215A power conditioner with everything, connected to grounded outlets (had to get an big extension cord for that, since some of the wiring here is older 2-prong electric.) I set the contour controls on the speakers to flat which sounds the best to me. I'm not sure what else to change or try to improve my system. I think at this point, I'm good, as long as everything keeps working okay. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, olds1959special said:

I think at this point, I'm good, as long as everything keeps working okay. 

I ran the AI preamp for about 25 years, so another 25 would be a good outcome.

Knowing when to stop is also a good thing.

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Holmz said:

I ran the AI preamp for about 25 years, so another 25 would be a good outcome.

Knowing when to stop is also a good thing.

I just realized it sounds better with the DAC closer to full volume, and the Modulus turned down. So now I'm 2 notches from the bottom on the volume knobs.

Now's the time to stop!

Edited by olds1959special
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/6/2024 at 12:36 PM, olds1959special said:

I just realized it sounds better with the DAC closer to full volume, and the Modulus turned down. So now I'm 2 notches from the bottom on the volume knobs.

Now's the time to stop!

OK - I agree with the last sentence.
 There is also expectation bias, and we can often hear things that may not be there in reality.

Enjoy the music!

On 10/7/2024 at 12:39 PM, olds1959special said:

IMG_1169.thumb.jpeg.caf5e4439107f4876a602519edaa9222.jpegI’m currently enjoying Kay Starr with Ben Webster (I Cry By Night - Capitol Records) on the system.

I’d highly recommend a nice thick area rug to help mitigate the reflections off the floor to your seated listening position. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

I would like to recommend having a room with a lot of stuff along the walls. You'd be surprised by how much all that reflected/deflected/absorbed sound can do.

B

Indeed!

listening room 1.webp

listening room 2.webp