Vandersteen's Window Into The Music

I don't know if this the right place to put this.  I went to see my pusher today, I mean my audio equipment/record  purveyor. He said. "I was hoping you would come in today, check this out". He brought me to the Vandersteen room where he had his Revox reel to reel and a newly acquired tape of Miles Davis Sketches of Spain.  He played the tape through a pair of  Quatro Wood CTs, It was nothing short of amazing, incredible, awe inspiring.  I swear I heard a sliver come off of Jimmy Cobb's sticks.  That whole orchestra was in the room, it was so palpable! That experience showed me a few things, Richards Speakers are true  windows into the music, they will produce what is presented to them unwaveringly, and the source matters sooooo much. I hope he hooks up the 7s and does it again

I am  not ready to run out and start paying the $300 to $500 a tape costs,  nor the price of a good deck (later in the day they were comparing a customers deck to Bruce's deck and  it was Steve Hoffmans personal deck which the guy had just bought). The experience was so astonishing it did get me thinking though. Wow! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The source material is of the utmost importance!

I bought The Beatles MFSL box set years ago and enjoy it immensely. 
There’s the perfectly silent background, voices and instruments hanging in space across the soundstage.  
Glad I got it when I did!

You may want to consider finding your favorite music on the best source you can afford!

• Like 1