Any Dawes fans among us?

Steve Edwards

This one was my introduction to the band.  I've since picked up a couple more of their records.  Taylor Goldsmith is the front man; writes all their music, sings and plays (very well IMHO) lead guitar.  I'm not very good at identifying genres, I guess they would come under Pop / Rock, but I find their music cleverly crafted, tastefully played, with very engaging lyrics.  

What spurred me to post this record was how much more I heard of it since the dear Jim Davis helped me tune my Quatros a couple months ago.  The improvement has been as significant as any other component or cable upgrade I have ever made.  We've all experienced that wonderful state when after a major upgrade, you eagerly anticipate pulling out the next record that you haven't played since the change, and feeling those endorphins dancing around our brains while we hear new sounds on oh-so-familiar recordings.    

Play on

IMG_3538.jpg

Do you have AYFB on vinyl?  Bought my first copy at Barnes & Noble when it came out.  It was a rather noisy pressing (non-fill I think) so I took it back for an exchange.  The second one was a little better, but still had some similar noise.  Oddly, when I played side one yesterday, I didn't notice hardly any of the noise.  I do think that sometimes, surface noise will diminish with continued plays.  Maybe that's the case here; not sure.  

Maybe there's hope for your friend  :classic_smile:

I have no Dawes music on vinyl, but that does not prevent me from enjoying.  I have three systems, two with turntables, all three with SACD players, and truth is I almost never play vinyl, with some exceptions.  I bought my first CD before I had a CD player.  I am a big Merle Haggard fan, and in the 90s (maybe?) he had a new release, and it was only on CD!!  I was angry and frustrated, but wanted that music, so I bought the CD.  This, of necessity, caused me to then purchase a CD player.  I bought the Proceed player (at the now shut Lyric HiFi in Manhattan-Lenny told me I probably would not hear a difference in that unit vs an NAD he had, but I went for the Proceed), a unit I still have, and enjoy.  All these years later.  But, its not an SACD deck.  I have several Luxman decks for that.  I have 5As in my main system, and JBL L100 Classics in another, and VonSchweikert UniField 3 Mk2 in the third.  I get tremendous pleasure for each of them.  We all know which are my favorites!

• Like 1

Though I am a vinyl devotee, I still enjoy many CD's.  In fact, last night, I just listened to Van Morrison - Born To Sing: No Plan B.  It was never released on vinyl, but I thoroughly enjoyed it (especially since recently getting the subs tuned in my Quatros).  Some of the upright bass work on that disc is just stunning.  

Merle Haggard!!  I have his album Back To The Barrooms.  It is a fantastic recording and I love the content.  It's top shelf playing, particularly on the tune I Think I'll Just Stay Here And Drink,   with some great solos on many different instruments.