¿Left track sibilance?

Holmz

I got a used Carman McCrea LP “in the post”, which was described as “VG” (Very good).
Pretty lovely until… it has some of the loud passages… then there is an obvious crackle/distortion/sibilance, but only on the LHS channel.

A similar sibilance was noted on a brand-spankin new Erik Satie vinyl; but that is both channels… So I assume that exonerates anti-skate??

What process should i use to figure out what to change here?

Other LPs, with bass heavy music, booms out without a problem… so maybe it is tracking as the treble notes are RIAA’ed with more excursion.  ?

Edited by Holmz

20 hours ago, TomicTime said:

i try to use a new or minty pressing w known sonics and recording quality to make assessments 

Does ^that^ implicitly mean that the old LP had some mis tracking or other problem that has damaged the grooves previously?

I can see how my Satie, being new, can be either the LP recording, or some issue with the playback… like tracking ability.
But the Carmen being only the left hand channel was weird.

Perhaps the previous owner had a stylus that damaged the left hand side of the record?

If you can find the same recording on a streaming app, then you'd know if it was either recorded poorly or the record is damaged.

I have a recording of Steven Hough playing Hummel piano concerto 2. There is a part in the last movement where I hear a distinct 'thump'. For years I thought it was the recording, but after listening to it on Qobuz, I hear the exact same 'thump' at the exact same spot on the recording.

bob

• Like 2

yes, trying to eliminate variables that i can’t control or that are unknown . For channel balance and setup issues on TT, a test record and a scope can be invaluable. As a signet dealer, we were required to have those and a few other tools, be trained on, and use them…. 😉

Signet was the high end brand / line for Audio Technica. 

Best to all !

• Like 2

On 6/10/2022 at 1:26 AM, TomicTime said:

yes, trying to eliminate variables that i can’t control or that are unknown . For channel balance and setup issues on TT, a test record and a scope can be invaluable. As a signet dealer, we were required to have those and a few other tools, be trained on, and use them…. 😉

Signet was the high end brand / line for Audio Technica. 

Best to all !

I think that there are 9 degrees of freedom…
Some of the (8) mechanical ones are easy:
1 Radial spindle distance
2 overhang
3 azimuth
4 whatever the Yaw angle is called (but it’s the mirror one)
5 SRA
6 VTF
But some look like they are more challenging.
7: cart Loading (ohms)
8: VTA
9: Antiskate

That is after level and speed.

Is there a “go to” document on using a scope?
I am inclined to use a scope over “ears alone”.

And 1000miles from the nearest city… so it would be like a skit of a Proclaimers song to get there and back.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a T-Rex album, probably purchased from the Licorice Pizza shop on the corner of Edginer and Goldenwest in Huntington Beach  somewhere around maybe 73 or 74.
Any how I put it on, and the usual thought of “Are my speakers OK” happened again with the sound biased towards Left channel.

I had the volume up and noticed that the VU meter actually shows both channels !

Racking the balance to get the needles aligned, makes the speakers good again 😄

I keep looking for excuses to upgrade the old 2C beasts, but they sound pretty good.

“Old Mate” from up north is pulling up in his Aussy Truck, so I suspect he will be upset that the Roy Orbison has not arrived yet…

9929270F-03DD-410D-9A2A-EAC5C637F4A0.jpeg

343B70DE-D6E7-47E2-86BA-2D29EDFDE821.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Wow, that camper looks like it is ready for an atomic blast.

I heard the Outback was tough, but this seems to reinforce that idea.

B

That steel RHS pipe that runs up the side of the windshield/windscreen is great for moving branches out of the way on bush tracks.

Chris replaced the steel bus body with an alloy one, and saved ~1300-1400 pounds.
Which also lowered the CoG.

It was fitted out pretty good inside.

They’re headed down towards Melbourne, from Kununurra (which is near the tourist destination of Broome, an old pearl diving center on the upper NW corner.

So they’re doing some bush camps, and occasional campsite with showers.
They usually only do 4-5 weeks, before they tire of constant company… and they are both easy going types and a lovely couple.
(I am taking notes.)

It is fairly common for couples to “Do a lap around Australia” with a truck or camper trailer, usually as a young couple or later as a “grey haired nomad.”

8 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Haha

If the Gods permit it, I hope to visit Australia.

Between a 'Town Called Alice' and Ayre's Rock, I think I'd have enough to keep me occupied from faffing around.

B

Yeah Bob, anytime.
Sis is headed here in 2-1/2 weeks, so mostly Perth and Albany.
I am doing Fly in/ Fly Out (FIFO) work, so if the contacts go to plan I will be in the centre roughly 4 weeks out of every 6.

If you are a hiker then the Larapinta Trail has supported tours etc.
My friend’s Mate does support work for them.