House renovation suggestions for HT

MattM777

Hi all, current setup is 5.1: 2CE Sig IIs; VCC-5; V2W; VSM surrounds mounted on the walls. Our house is going to be remodeled next year to the point that the back wall of this room (where the rear channels currently are) is going to be pushed back around 12 feet to create a larger kitchen/dining area.

I'm not sure what to do for the rear channels. In doing some reading, RV does not recommend VLRs on stands; floor-standing rears are out of the question. That would leave me with VSMs, but they have to be wall-mounted. Would it even work aurally (never mind domestically) to have them located 12 feet behind the listening area? Are there any other options or suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Matt

This is hard to picture without either, a picture, or a drawing of what the room will be like. Like many things, there will always be a way to sort it out, but more info would help.

One thought would be to put a curtain or divider between the two rooms. Though if floor standing rears are a no go, that might not fly either.

Bob

On 10/10/2022 at 5:26 PM, MattM777 said:

RV does not recommend VLRs on stands;

Really? John Rutan at Audioconnection has them on stands and they sound great, to me at least.

I also mounted them at the ceiling corners. Not exactly what many would do, but find it works.

Looking at the second drawing with the VSM's way back against the new wall seems a bit far from the main speakers.

B

6 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

Really? John Rutan at Audioconnection has them on stands and they sound great, to me at least.

So, I thought I read that in the FAQ on the website, but apparently this was on the video from RV, here: https://www.vandersteen.com/products/vlr-ct

The FAQ does have a mention of VLR's on stands. Maybe the distinction is front vs. rear channels. 

30 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

Well, I guess Mr. V. is the one to put this issue to rest. Hopefully, he'll post to the thread.

And, as I have mentioned, I put my VLR's near the ceiling, as floorstanders are Verboten, perhaps you could mount them up high?

Bob

The ballet studio in Santa Monica, which is also a Vandy dealer, has had at least 2 pairs of 2C mounted upside down on the ceiling since the 90s.
(If the ballet studio is even still operating.)

I am not sure that is optimal as the listening window is somewhat constrained in the vertical axis, but the ladies in the leotards seemed to be happy.

1 hour ago, MattM777 said:

Thanks for the input, guys. If we're going ceiling mount (might be possible), then I would think the VSMs would be the best bet for rear channels.

I intend to either find or measure the radiation pattern of the VSMs to understand if I should l aim them when mounted on the ceiling.
The second pair of VSMs, the VCC, the AVR/AVP are literally in the vehicle in the driveway to be unloaded today.

23 hours ago, MattM777 said:

Thanks for the input, guys. If we're going ceiling mount (might be possible), then I would think the VSMs would be the best bet for rear channels.

I would think the VLR's would be a better choice, as you would get a more fuller sound- But, I have no experience with home theatre, so my feelings are not to be taken as gospel.

Perhaps if the VLR's are mounted on the ceiling...,

But, the drawing say a 'Vaulted Ceiling'...

Bob

• Like 1