Hum coming from a 5A subwoofer.

Hello everyone,

I turned on my stereo this morning and noticed a loud hum coming from one of my 5A's.  I turned off the amp feeding that speaker, so i know its not related to the amp.  I unplugged the speaker, turned off and on the power strip, etc.  

Could something have happened to the subwoofer amp inside the 5A?

Thanks for any help,

Best,  Brendan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the input.  I can't seem to get rid of the hum.  I have tried connecting a stranded wire from the 5A ground lug to the center screw on an outlet, and to the HP Xover, as well as to my Ayre Acoustics MXRs. None of that worked.

I have confirmed that the outlet has ground with a receptacle tester. 

I have called electricians to come look for a ground loop, but they are completely not interested in the project.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brendan said:

Thanks guys for the input.  I can't seem to get rid of the hum.  I have tried connecting a stranded wire from the 5A ground lug to the center screw on an outlet, and to the HP Xover, as well as to my Ayre Acoustics MXRs. None of that worked.

I have confirmed that the outlet has ground with a receptacle tester. 

I have called electricians to come look for a ground loop, but they are completely not interested in the project.   

Electricians typically have no idea what a ground loop is per our stereo's.  What did you change (including small things) when it started?  Have you tried a different amplifier?  AYRE uses a different grounding scheme (floating) in their amplifiers.  Has the speaker's sub-woofer amplifier been removed for any reason as it could be the input wires?  RV

• Like 1