AudioQuest Black Noise-Trapping DBS Packs

First, a huge shout-out to AudioQuest. I had 4 of the older-style 72v DBS packs where the plastic began to “turn gummy” (if it happened to you, you know what I mean). A brief email exchange and two photos later, I had 4 new AudioQuest Black Noise-Trapping DBS Packs en-route to Flower Mound, Texas. 

So, here’s my question:

Do I attach these new AudioQuest Black Noise-Trapping DBS Packs to the balanced Colorado interconnects that connect my (balanced) Ayre CX-7e(mp) and my (balanced) Ayre P-5xe to my (balanced) Ayre AX-5/20, or…

Do I attach these to my shotgun bi-wired CV-8 speaker cables?

Regardless of the decision, I’ll have DBS packs attached to all my AudioQuest cables. The voltage remains the same as my older-style DBS packs (that are currently on my speaker cables). It’s the “Noise-Trapping” feature of the Black DBS packs that is the new variable. 

The suggestion of “try them in both locations and see if there is a difference” isn’t much fun. 

Interested in what the hive mind thinks. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nrenter said:

I had 4 of the older-style 72v DBS packs where the plastic began to “turn gummy” (if it happened to you, you know what I mean).

nrenter, I have the same issue with the Leopard tone arm cable DBS pack on my LP12.  Are they easily swapped out?  I was thinking if they would approve an exchange, I would have to take the whole cable to them, which would be quite involved.  I'll reach out to Alasdair.  

Thanks for the info!

Literally sent this note to info@audioquest.com.  Dustin Cairns responded and requested photos of the gummy DBS packs. The DBS packs simply unplug from the cable. I'd normally say "easy as pie" but it was even easier.

Hello!

I have 4 72v DBS packs that have become sticky/ gummy - apparently due to the breakdown of the plastic. What is the process to have them repaired? These came with cables (Colorado 1m XLR interconnects) originally purchased new through Music Direct (not sure if this makes a difference). 

Thanks!

Nicholas Renter
(817) 313-1506
nrenter@alumni.northwestern.edu

Here are the photos I attached...

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

• Like 1