Ayre EX-8 2.0 Integrated Amplifier

Thinking about buying one of these but wanted to know if anyone has heard this amplifier and does it have enough power. I am running Model 2ce sig iii’s for now. I may at some point upgrade to the Treos. 

Thank you.

-John 

• Like 1

The only way to know if something can drive your speakers in your room to satisfaction, is to audition. That said , the Ayre is underrated IRT power and it has plenty of current running through it. Heck, the 2’s can sound wonderful in a lower powered NAD system.

on FB, someone was sharing that they are concerned with the belles  integrated not having enough power. Everyone I know who runs that combo loves it. I’ve heard the 8 series on a Treo and really enjoyed the sound. 

I get by, albeit in a Condo with 40 WPC w Treo CT….but as Pete astutely says… only you and your requirements can answer that question in your room or dealers showroom. I agree w Pete re Ayre power ratings and ability to drive a load. Important to note RV designs have no bizare loads or phase angles….engineering an easy load is brilliant IMO.

6496156B-6656-40A2-BB63-7254D6F4C22C.jpeg

• Like 1

Guys, I very very happily ran my Treo's with a small Ayre AX7xe integrated. I couldn't afford much more and I wasn't wanting tubes (even though I love them when done properly).  I was in a fairly large room that has an open back wall (loft) and a hallway that leads into two large bedrooms and a bathroom.  The doors weren't always closed and that thing rocked the house.  (wife often told me to turn it down even though it wasn't that loud). 

As Jim pointed out, they are so easy to drive. Folks who don't fully understand, just look at sensitivity and wattage. Watt's measures heat doesn't it?  I was always told by engineers (of audio gear) that it's about the speaker design and not sensitivity and then how much current and on demand current the amps can put out.  Ayre, Belles, NAD, Hotel and some other SS amps that most Vandy dealers sell have plenty to drive any of the Vandy speakers within reason.  I feel badly for many who feel they must have a min 100W to drive their speakers are there are so many GREAT options from so many dealers that will drive them with plenty to spare with bass control etc...  

How many times have we heard of mega watt amps blowing up a speaker, because they aren't clean watts?  I've heard of folks driving a pair of 2's back in the day with a 20W triode amp. I forgot the name of the amp, but it was a killer set up that I heard at Ocean State Audio.  

If you love that Ayre amp, I say go for it.  I still love mono blocks with speakers if you can do it as the shorter speaker cables are a lot less in most cases and really help with the SQ, but I've used integrated amps for years and loved them.  

I auditioned the EX-8 with a pair of VLR-CTs. I found it was missing some oomph. At the time I heard the EX-8 compared to an Audio Research GSi75 integrated. The AR sounded far more powerful. I ended up with a used Ayre AX-5 Twenty, which I paired w VLR-CTs for about three years with good results, and I’m using it now with Quatro CTs. Fantastic integrated amp. Ayre is a great company, responsive communications, quick and reasonable service/maintenance/upgrades. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For those who are interested, I ended up buying a pre-owned AX5 Twenty integrated off of TMR Audio. I was not able to audition one before purchasing it but felt comfortable with TMR Audio’s 14 day return policy in case I didn’t like it.

I have had this thing in my system for over a week now and I can tell you that it is fantastic and IT will not be going back to TMR. I know that integrated amps are looked upon as entry level gear but this unit can really dance. I can’t stop listening to my system. 

• Like 4

Ayre makes some pretty fine equipment. I was pretty sure you'd like it.

TMR is a good place to buy from. Sure you can get it for less, but at least you have peace of mind if it either is damaged or if you don't like it- They will stand by their products.

Bob

• Like 1