Break in period

43 minutes ago, BKDad said:

Are you in Australia or otherwise below the equator?

Yeah correct.
Down unda.

But I was in SoCal a year ago, and then Albuquerque and Asheville area.
Missed getting Oregon with sick airlines staff, so ABQ was slotted in to see the ex FIL.

The older gear was acquired in SoCal, the newer stuff was used out of Arizona and Switzerland.
And there is only one deal of the Swiss gear here, and the new stuff is a bit out of my price range.

11 minutes ago, ghamilton said:

They are sounding much better now. 

I love them to death!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Don’t forget to mark the spot where the speakers are sounding the best.  If you get the itch to see if there’s any more improvement that can be extracted out of your system you will be soon moving them and at that time the only thing that can can save your sanity is the painters tape that marks the position that made you smile in the first place…

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, ghamilton said:

Just to let you folks know,...

My (recapped) Sansui AU-919 does a great job pushing the Sig lll. I thought about getting a Luxman L-509X integrated, but I don't need it.

Oh.. cmon.. since when did folks on this forum just stop their pursuits once they had what they needed....😀

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2023 at 10:57 AM, ghamilton said:

They are sounding much better now. 

I love them to death!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ok - so what happened to garner the love?

• Is it break in?
  • Placement?
  • getting used to a less bright speaker?
  • other?

9 hours ago, ghamilton said:

I'm not rich!

You’re likely rich enough, if your system is bringing enjoyment.
And if you had millions invested, and still did not find something that gave you joy, then … (LTR)

And one usually does not get richer changing speakers at the frequency of changing socks and undergarments.

I am trying to take care of other things in my life right now. Sorry that I haven't been more informative.

After moving the peakers around (when I get time to listen) they sound good me now.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My system has been in place for years.....did everything I could think of to bring out all that it was capable.  Many years ago when I was in the business of making and selling cables, I thought that 2  blocks of plastic that I used in the manufacturing process would be beneficial somehow somewhere.   I found that placed on the floor between my 5A's, brought some added dimensionality to the sound.  ...so there they sat for years.  Today, I accidentally shoved the left one about 3 inches to the left, and wow, the depth and width increased greatly.  I am writing this to say that there is no ending to the tinkering....just assiduously pursue  that tinkering and realize that sometimes it is elusive, but sometimes you'll be rewarded.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stringreen said:

My system has been in place for years.....did everything I could think of to bring out all that it was capable.  Many years ago when I was in the business of making and selling cables, I thought that 2  blocks of plastic that I used in the manufacturing process would be beneficial somehow somewhere.   I found that placed on the floor between my 5A's, brought some added dimensionality to the sound.  ...so there they sat for years.  Today, I accidentally shoved the left one about 3 inches to the left, and wow, the depth and width increased greatly.  I am writing this to say that there is no ending to the tinkering....just assiduously pursue  that tinkering and realize that sometimes it is elusive, but sometimes you'll be rewarded.

Details?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On a tangent, the wind ensemble I play in at the request of a guest conductor rearranged instrument placement, putting the clarinets opposite most of the rest of the reed players. With the low brass behind us the clarinets could be heard clearly from our chairs but in the recorded performance on a stage we had never used before the clarinets were almost nonexistent because the rest of the reed instruments could not hear us and we could not hear them. It’s hard to get the correct balance when you cannot hear all parts! 

I guess the moral of this story is that recording engineers are a vital piece of the final recorded product. Testing dynamic levels and balance are critical to achieving a quality recording. And that is what we need in order to tweak our audio systems.

• Like 1