Red warning Lights on Model 3's

I have a pair of model 3's in my basement and when listening at moderate volume to dynamic type music, the left speaker starts to ignite the two red lights indicating high cone temp or protection?  This only happens to that single speaker and I am certainly not pushing it hard. It can happen within the first song I listen to if its bassy enough.  Turning volume down, the lights go out.   I have yet to see the lights on the right speaker.  I have never seen the lights on my newer model 2 sig 3's either(not even sure if it has them).  It's obviously malfunctioning, but why?  Is it the driver, the crossover, the protection circuit?   Curious if anyone had this happen and what to do about it.  BTW there is zero breakup audible when this happens.  Speakers still sound great. The lights sort of start glowing with each bass beat and get brighter until they light up eventually very bright and solid, and go out if I turn down to "conversation" volume.

Help appreciated!

A

4 hours ago, aubbrin570 said:

I have a pair of model 3's in my basement and when listening at moderate volume to dynamic type music, the left speaker starts to ignite the two red lights indicating high cone temp or protection?  This only happens to that single speaker and I am certainly not pushing it hard. It can happen within the first song I listen to if its bassy enough.  Turning volume down, the lights go out.   I have yet to see the lights on the right speaker.  I have never seen the lights on my newer model 2 sig 3's either(not even sure if it has them).  It's obviously malfunctioning, but why?  Is it the driver, the crossover, the protection circuit?   Curious if anyone had this happen and what to do about it.  BTW there is zero breakup audible when this happens.  Speakers still sound great. The lights sort of start glowing with each bass beat and get brighter until they light up eventually very bright and solid, and go out if I turn down to "conversation" volume.

Help appreciated!

A

The protection circuit monitors the temp of the 8-inch woofer and fires the Red LED's when they are close to hot enough to be damaged permanently as a warning only.  Not knowing the history of this pair of speakers it could be they were fired enough to damage the circuit such that they flash prematurely (rare but indicates possible continuous abuse or it was left flashing for an extended period of time).  The other possible cause can be DC offset in the amplifier's output.  Switch your speakers Right for Left to test this.  The speaker needs to come to the factory for this repair as it can't be serviced in the field.  Shipping is the major cost as the repair is only $100.  You may want to just close your eyes.  RV

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

The protection circuit monitors the temp of the 8-inch woofer and fires the Red LED's when they are close to hot enough to be damaged permanently as a warning only.  Not knowing the history of this pair of speakers it could be they were fired enough to damage the circuit such that they flash prematurely (rare but indicates possible continuous abuse or it was left flashing for an extended period of time).  The other possible cause can be DC offset in the amplifier's output.  Switch your speakers Right for Left to test this.  The speaker needs to come to the factory for this repair as it can't be serviced in the field.  Shipping is the major cost as the repair is only $100.  You may want to just close your eyes.  RV

"You may want to just close your eyes.  RV"

Thank you for the response RV.  Probably what I would think too.  Was hoping for a possible way to at least cut the wires to the lights or something simple.  I may stick some electrical tape over the lights and move on.

I forgot to mention in the first post that I did switch the speakers left to right, ruling out the amp, same speaker lighting up.  In fact, since owning these, I have been through multiple amps and still the one speaker.  In other words, its the lights acting up, not the amp(s).

I also don't know the history either, I got these a few years ago but they were already pretty old.

Thanks!