Revolver (Super Deluxe) on Tidal

John Gallup

revolver.jpg

"Revolver" was released in 1966, of course, the year I graduated from high school* and therefore isn't "new."  But in September of 2022, Giles Martin, the son of Beatles producer George Martin, released a new version of "Revolver" which had been remastered in a very new way; there's an article in the April Stereophile about it. The AI-based "demixing" process allowed Martin to separate instruments and voices and remix them the way modern records are done, and it really sounds good:  on "Eleanor Rigby," for instance, you hear the different instruments of the string quartet distinctly spread across the sound stage. The MQA version of it, called "Super Deluxe," is available on Tidal, and I'm listening to it now. Of course there are also LP and CD packages with various goodies included.

*Chemistry was a much easier subject then, because the only elements in the periodic table were Earth, Air, Fire and Water.

• Like 2

I’ve recently purchased most the Giles 50th anniversary Beatles remasters to replace my originals on vinyl. All are pretty darn good. I didn’t get the newest Revolver though (where the original was totally separated and remixed), but the previous release. Still sounds darn good.

Edited by bkeske
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I don't have the MFSL for comparison, but I do have a British Parlophone LP that I purchased in England in 1981 when I acquired all the British versions of the albums before Pepper -- and the German Magical Mystery Tour, the best version I've heard.  My take on the 2022 Revolver release -- and I have the vinyl and the cd -- is that it sounds very synthesized and very unnatural.   Especially after listening to the 1981 Parlophone or even the vinyl of the 2009 remaster, the 2022 sounds very artificial and computer generated, the same way Lennon's voice in "Now and Then" sounds to me, especially when it's isolated from the rest of the  tracks of that song.  That said, I do find the remix interesting in its clarity and repositioning of everything in the mix; it's just hard to put up with the unnatural sound.  The 2009 is certainly clearer than the 1981, and for actual music, I'll take either one over the 2022.  I do have the MFSL Abbey Road, which I really like (though I also like the latest remaster -- and I hear some remixing -- on vinyl), and would love to hear the MFSLs of the other albums!

57 minutes ago, Ken K said:

... Lennon's voice in "Now and Then"...

The voice is one thing; re-animated young Lennon and Harrison dancing around with the present-day McCartney and Starr in the accompanying video are really creepy to me.

• Like 1