To upgrade or just listen and enjoy my system?!

chris1625

On 5/17/2023 at 9:36 PM, chris1625 said:

They are installed in my system. The set-up was very painless. Jon in fact said my room was his easiest in years to get right. We talked what it could be, instead of just being happy.  Jon came to the conclusion he's just that good at set ups!! lol No, he thinks it's the ceilings shape and the floor bracing I had installed.  My first thought's: Do not listen to them if you have some fun money set aside you will be owning a pair. Second: Spill the beans Richard!!! A midrange and two powered woofers, there has to be more??? The improvement is not a diminishing return but a major leap in sound quality. The sound stage is wider with more height and much more accurate to me. The details are so much better, it sounds like all drivers are improved. I put on some piano and violin tracks of really good recordings, it made me actually feel little uncomfortable because it should not of sounded so real. (it's my best reference since my two daughter have played for 8yrs. and 10 yrs., performing often in high school and college.) Now we wait for the break in. I did notice after 1.5 hours I heard an improvement in imaging.  Here is the crazy part of this whole upgrade. I never heard the Kentos even once, I refused too. I wanted my first listen to them in the environment they will be in, with the equipment they are paired with. I even had a long talk with Richard at Axpona, but I would not go into the Kento room. It was this old man's version of a blind date. I was ready to be very disappointed  or very happy. So far it's a match and now my wife gets her new exterior to our lake house since I was not sneaky enough. Construction begins 7/10/23. 

IMG_7683.jpeg

WOW Chris!!  These are gorgeous.  Agree with all your impressions and, like you, my first time listening was when they arrived at my house.   Unlike you, I had to set them up myself, which led to the pitfall of playing them juuuuuust a little bit before I had the spikes and speaker tilt done (mistake!).  But I knew to stay to course any my end result was so very similar to yours!

• Like 1

I'm a watch lover too, but a lot of the jump hour movement and other cool stuff like that.  I just don't put anymore money into watches, but I may start asking for them as gifts 😉

Nice speakers Chris. So happy for you. Kento's are a dream for me as they are so much closer to 7's than Quatro's.  SOOO much so.  Maybe some day I can afford them. I have the amps and soon the pre to go with them.  A guy can dream.

3 hours ago, ctsooner said:

I'm a watch lover too, but a lot of the jump hour movement and other cool stuff like that.  I just don't put anymore money into watches, but I may start asking for them as gifts 😉

Nice speakers Chris. So happy for you. Kento's are a dream for me as they are so much closer to 7's than Quatro's.  SOOO much so.  Maybe some day I can afford them. I have the amps and soon the pre to go with them.  A guy can dream.

If we time things correctly Pete, I take them beautiful Havana Black Quatro's off of you thereby shortening that "dream".....:)

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 2:27 PM, BKDad said:

Guess what?  Now, she gets the kind of attention a potential customer deserves wherever she goes.

@BKdad,

IT's kind of sad isn't it? Everyone knows the Rolex Datejust, GMT, Sub, etc on sight, even from a distance. I can remember going into stores wearing mine when I was in my 20s and not getting the time of day until they saw my Rolex. Annoyed me, like it did your kid. And I hated it when I was out at bars (I was single!) and the first thing some cute woman said was, "Is that a Rolex?" That was an automatic DQ for me. They thought I was rich I guess, and I most certainly was not. I became a surfer in HS, and asked my folks for a Submariner for graduation (they were "only" $350 then) because that was the best water watch in the world then. I didn't get it, but 10 years later bought the GMT because I still loved the Rolex, was traveling a lot and the dual timezone feature was handy. Cheers, and hat tip for giving your kiddo a sweet watch that was her mom's. Heirloom. 

Thanks for the good watch side-chat folks! And to @Stringreen —I love Breguets. Their complications are amazing. I would own one in a heartbeat!

Edited by Patrick D

12 hours ago, Jackstraw75 said:

If we time things correctly Pete, I take them beautiful Havana Black Quatro's off of you thereby shortening that "dream".....:)

Thanks Jack. lol....  I really needed that, lol....  I've had this idea in the back of my mind for a bit now.  I need to get the new preamp in first to see how the system sounds before making any decisions.  I"m very tempted though and it's always on the table.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Thanks Jack. lol....  I really needed that, lol....  I've had this idea in the back of my mind for a bit now.  I need to get the new preamp in first to see how the system sounds before making any decisions.  I"m very tempted though and it's always on the table.

Were kinda in the same place...I'm in preamp shopping mode as well, so a speaker upgrade is further on the horizon.  After preamp comes retirement comes in January 2024.  From there, its about persuading the better half....(and she's a very conservative spender....gonna take some time...:))

• Like 2

On 5/20/2023 at 12:39 PM, Steve Edwards said:

Absolutely beautiful Chris.  Is that Ebony veneer?  

Yes they are their Faux Ebony. They turned out very nice looking with black grills. Sound even better then I hope too. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 3:13 PM, ctsooner said:

I'm so pleased with the Kentos, I usually pick things apart and make micro adjusts to the placement for a few months and I just don't feel the need to with these.  When the time is right treat yourself life is too short. My dealer is no pressure and I've been telling him for the last 2 yrs. "I'm going to buy an end game system when my 2nd daughter is done with college and 1st daughter is done with dental/orthodontic school."  But one day it just hit me, "end game" system is 6 years away and tons can happen so Kento can be a mid-game treat until then.  My next upgrade will be Richards new pre amp and his amps or changing out my home speakers. My issue with the home speakers is what most guys issue is WAF. It took a few years for her to stop complaining about the Von Schweikert's I have there and she say's if they get replaced something small or nothing. 

• Like 1

Y’know, maybe it’s just dumb luck in my favor, but my wife prefers the way the Vandersteen speakers look compared to almost all the modern competition.  I won’t even name the ones she has especially singled out for her ugly hall of fame.  The positive exceptions are the Oswald Mills products - interesting art- and some of the Duntech speakers, now long gone in the US.

Then, there’s the sound…

The only rivals to date were some Sequerra speakers along with the associated electronics.  Amazing sound, but not visually appealing or very practical.  Her analysis, which I happen to share.  

• Like 2

Great stuff BK.  I have been fortunate that both wives have liked the speakers I've owned.  I never cared what things look like until I got married the first time.  I know that having my Quatro's painted made her very happy as she loves how the black just melts into the wall, but when I put the spot lights on them (I had ceiling drops just above each speaker to show their metallic fleck) they SHINE.  

I am a wood guys and thought I'd only want a top veneer as I've always owned, but there is so much wood in the room, that the painted version fits in like a glove.  I've also gone with black cases on all my gear now (I used to be all silver) and it too just blends into the wood cabinet/TV stand.  

I loved the Sequerra gear back in the day.  

Well, I actually do care how things look.  I want the loudspeakers to not draw attention to themselves, either visually or sonically.  In fact, I wonder if there's some kind of connection there...  

To me, good visual loudspeaker design is like art.  If you look closely at the design, there's lots of great work and it's visually interesting.     But, it doesn't assault you.  It just stands there quietly.  I'd note that a lot of great classic artwork, like the Mona Lisa, is known for its subtlety.  

Given the choice, I'd have all the electronics in a ventilated closet of some kind.   That almost always requires a custom built room, though, which makes it hard and not likely in my lifetime.  So, compromise is in order.

I have no real desire to show anything off, especially if it's inert in operation.  A turntable can be fascinating to watch because of all of the mechanical intricacies.   But, the other electronics?

Also, for us, we don't live in a large home.  Our living room is exactly that - for living in.  We don't have a separate "parlor" to show off to occasional visitors.  My wife would definitely have something to say about that. ("No (use your imagination here.)")  So, we choose what we have based on how it affects our actual living patterns and interests.  

Still, I know lots (most?) audio enthusiasts like to look at their gear and maybe show it off to visitors.  If that's part of the fun, great.

• Like 1