To upgrade or just listen and enjoy my system?!

chris1625

I have had my Treo's CT's for 11 months. I am thinking about upgrading.  At first I thought about adding two subwoofers because the Treo's could use a little more bass impact. It's the only place a little is missing from the speaker. Wife does not like the idea of subs. So my dealer suggests moving up to the Kento Carbon's. Has anyone made the move from the Treo CT's to Kento Carbon's? If so was it a good move? He said I will gain much more then just bass it just a better speaker top to bottom. Is it crazy to upgrade because you are happy and surprised how much you like a speaker just wanting a little more? I'm a low volume listener and the Treo's are so dynamic at 70-75 db peak listening levels will the Kento play well at that level?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chris1625 said:

Is it crazy to upgrade because you are happy and surprised how much you like a speaker just wanting a little more?

Well, it would be a considerable expenditure, but, if you can swing it, I think you'll be very happy.

You could also move to a Quatro-which also has integrated subs.

I ended up with a pair of Sub 3's with my Treo's. To be honest, they are not intrusive.-And, you can place them wherever they are out of the way, as the equalized bass  can compensate for odd placement.

Bob

I agree with Bob on the subs. In fact contrary to loading them behind/next to main speakers or preferably in corners, my experience in all the homes I have lived in is that the system sounds best when subs aren't located on the same wall as the main speakers. Especially in standard homes with an average listening space of 300-400 sqft.

The carbon fiber midrange and the extra $ into a Kento are world class good….. 

I have 7’s mk2  and in a different system  Treo CT with the Kento grade high pass filters and a single sub 3.  The shared Vandersteen design tenants apply… the DNA is all there….. i am in a larger room w 600 ft sq and 9’ ceilings, which helps… i also don’t listen very loud…

I will continue to emphasize a super important point about adding Vandersteen subs to Treo - midrange clarity is massively improved because you main amp is now loafing….. most people think it’s just about better bass, while true…. wow…. does it help above the bass….

Obviously… i would love to work Quattro or Kento into my room…. I think weighing all your factors, WAF, budget, listening habits, etc lead to great decisions….. No Vandersteen outcome is a poor choice…. I am planning to use VLR Signature as headphones in the old folks home…some day…. hopefully…NOT …today

Best to you

Jim

• Like 4

Well I pulled the trigger and had some fun doing it. I sent my dealer a check this morning  before we talked and worked out any of  the details. We did, Jon is the best. I do wish I could keep the Treo's, but my wife insists I down size the number of speakers, amps, dac's etc.... in our houses. But I did order the Kento's same color as the Treo's just incase we can sneak the new ones in. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, chris1625 said:

Well I pulled the trigger and had some fun doing it. I sent my dealer a check this morning  before we talked and worked out any of  the details. We did, Jon is the best. I do wish I could keep the Treo's, but my wife insists I down size the number of speakers, amps, dac's etc.... in our houses. But I did order the Kento's same color as the Treo's just incase we can sneak the new ones in. 

You won't regret that decision as the KENTO is a small SEVEN XTRM not a hopped-up QUATRO because of the Carbon/Balsa midrange!  RV

• Like 2

I recently went from Quatro CTs to Kentos and it's been magical.  The improvement in the mid range is hard to put into words... to borrow from Lebowski, the mids "really tie the room together" 😜   I will say that it took the full set up regimen to see how worth it the upgrade was.  Prior to getting tilt, bass EQ, floor spikes, and positioning I was wondering a bit about value but once dialed in there was no question.  Lots of excitement now going back through my vinyl collection!  I feel lucky to have gotten a demo pair, though it was still eye-watering at check out time.   Good luck!  Frank

Edited by DividedSky
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DividedSky said:

I recently went from Quatro CTs to Kentos and it's been magical.  The improvement in the mid range is hard to put into words... to borrow from Lebowski, the mids "really tie the room together" 😜   I will say that it took the full set up regimen to see how worth it the upgrade was.  Prior to getting tilt, bass EQ, floor spikes, and positioning I was wondering a bit about value but once dialed in there was no question.  Lots of excitement now going back through my vinyl collection!  I feel lucky to have gotten a demo pair, though it was still eye-watering at check out time.   Good luck!  Frank

How was room placement? I'm hoping I can put the Kento's  in about  the same position as my Treo's. The system is at my lake house, I have a wife along with 2 daughters that have strong opinions about visual aesthetics. With the Treo's it was the easiest speaker I've ever owned set up position wise near a back wall. I can't take any credit for it,  but Richards's can as I followed his set up instructions in the owners manual. After I set the height I adjusted the toe in for about 2 hours, just like that the sound was right. More than right it was the best imaging with a sound stage words can't describe. My dealer will be installing the Kento's so I'm hoping the results will come as quick.                                                                                                                                                                                                      

• Like 1

With the Kentos, the positioning seemed more flexible in my listening area than the Quatros.  I presume that is because of both the improved midrange solidifying the sound stage as well as the more robust cabinet and heavy speaker base.  I have them about 2 feet off the wall but with the bass EQ, I am sure they could go closer.  My process with the Kentos was very similar to what you describe with your Treos.  

As for low volume listening, I am sort of on the other end of the spectrum (a little to Richard's dismay?).  I prefer 85-90 peak dB and in that range the Kentos bring the excitement of concert  sound, but they are actually substantially BETTER than 98% of concert sound to my ears.  When my wife texts me to turn it down (frequently), I enjoy these speakers very much at 75 dB.  That said, I do run my Kentos with a pair of phase aligned JL fathom f113s, which probably helps my enjoyment at lower dBs.

10 hours ago, DividedSky said:

That said, I do run my Kentos with a pair of phase aligned JL fathom f113s, which probably helps my enjoyment at lower dBs.

A pair of f113s!  Kickass. That is quite a bit of bass for sure. 

• Like 2

I love the Kento’s as do the others. It’s not just that cf mid.  It’s also the freaking way he implements the bass. I’ve thought about selling the Quatros and upgrading.  It would easily be the last upgrade doe speakers at my age. 

8 hours ago, ctsooner said:

I love the Kento’s as do the others. It’s not just that cf mid.  It’s also the freaking way he implements the bass. I’ve thought about selling the Quatros and upgrading.  It would easily be the last upgrade doe speakers at my age. 

Crazy you mention age. I'm 56  that had a huge part in the upgrade. I have only two passions I will spend money on myself and not for my family, watch collecting and audio. It use to be three, motorcycles, but with drivers texting and people being on "something" the close calls are coming way to often.  So I told myself " Hearing is good still it's time to get what I want before I'm 65 or 70 looking back wishing I did."

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:22 AM, ctsooner said:

I like watches too lol. omega and Otis are about all I can afford. Lol. I’m very familiar with the small makers etc though. Awesome craft. 

Oris and Omega are very respected watch guy watches they are both if you know you know brands. I'm a big Rolex, Patek Phillipe,  Grand Seiko fan. I tell all my nieces and nephews after collage, the first purchase they need to make it a nice Rolex (Submainer, GMT or Explore etc ..) so if they ever get fired and  looking for work, sell it and the money will pay your rent a few months and not your uncle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is so hilarious…and true… on my migratory sojurn across Canada to a job in Seattle, i scored a nice submariner no date…. with exchange and no date it was so reasonable… it paid for an engagement ring not too many years later….. She and I celebrate 33 in August

• Haha 1

Great thread.  My Omega was Dad's wedding watch. I've never loved the Rolex look for some reason.  There are some great small watchmakers who make stunning and uber expensive watches (that cost what a pair of 7's cost) that I'd rather have.  Honestly, if I could chose most any watch. it would be the Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverse Tribute Deface Calandar.  It's gold adn stunning and the movement does amazing things. I also have a place in my heart for the Eta jump hour movement I think it's called.  I've been away from watches for a spell on purpose, 😉.  

I went through the Watch Phase, as well.

I agree with Pete (ctsooner) Rolex isn't my fave, not for looks, but just the quantity produced. They are well made, though.

The JL Reverso's are my favorites, too. 

Jump Hour watches always have a place in my collection. 

I tend toward distinctive faces- Early Panerai, Ulysse Nardin, Early Dubey, etc.

I'll probably never get my money back (unlike a Rolex), but I do enjoy wearing them.

B

8 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

I thought you guys were performance oriented!  I use Timex and find them very reliable and accurate in time.  RV

Richard, you are correct.  Most quart watches are mover accurate than a good Eta movement.  That said, it's almost like digital vs analog audio.  There's something special about high end watches as they are like jewlery and fun to look at and use especially when you have a a skeleton back and can see teh automatic movement etc...  

Also, the carbon fiber faced MTM Recon watches are easier to read and there is less eye fatigue 😉.   hehe