Amp selection for the Quatro Wood CT Speakers

In my continuing quest for knowledge, I am curious about seeing the Quatros paired with amps other than the M5 HPA.  Do the Quatros require high pass filtering for lower woofer frequencies in every possible amp selection (e.g., Pass Labs, PS Audio and so on)?   I am super happy with my Quatros and M5 but it makes me wonder how to evaluate a new amp if the situation arises?  I ask the forum because my dealer retired and moved 3,000 miles away.  Hmmm.  Many thanks.  Best, Dave.

Post here which amplifier you are interested in comparing because there is a good chance out of the hundred or more pair M5-HPA's sold someone has traded up from one or several of them.  Several owners are powering Model SEVENS.  I know for a fact Pass Labs, AYRE and PS Audio amplifiers have been retired by the M5.  RV

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 3:04 PM, Next8 said:

In my continuing quest for knowledge, I am curious about seeing the Quatros paired with amps other than the M5 HPA.  Do the Quatros require high pass filtering for lower woofer frequencies in every possible amp selection (e.g., Pass Labs, PS Audio and so on)?   I am super happy with my Quatros and M5 but it makes me wonder how to evaluate a new amp if the situation arises?  I ask the forum because my dealer retired and moved 3,000 miles away.  Hmmm.  Many thanks.  Best, Dave.

Next8, yes, the Quatro requires the signal going to the speaker to be high passed at 100Hz 6 dB per octave!  Your M5-HPA's have the exact same component's inside as the M5-HPB's so any amp you want to compare will need to have a properly calibrated M5-HPB on its input to work, any noticeable difference in the bass may or may not be legit because the high-pass frequency may not be exactly the same.  The high-pass built into the M5-HPA will be within 1%.  RV

• Like 1

This has been my favorite time for listening to music that I love.  I no  longer try to 'find' the next great amp or the next great speakers or the.........

I have heard Quatro's on MANY other top end speakers and chose the M5's because they are a bargain in this price range.  I will say that I have heard major differences in amps as the Quatro's are much more revealing than I originally thought when I first heard them.   As so many of you know, it's over time that you appreciate what they are doing.  I always wondered if I like the equipment as much or more than the music.  That's now been answered and it allows me to listen with a less critical ear now (unless I'm auditioning a new piece of gear for fun).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I love the sound of my new Quatro CT’s in conjunction with the Belles Aria monos and Belles preamp but I know that in the next year or two I’ll upgrade to the Vandersteen M5 amplification, perhaps the preamp too as that appears to be on the horizon. 

• Like 2