Streaming DAC recommendations?

On 5/20/2021 at 11:16 AM, ctsooner said:

The Rossini is better when used with the clock.  I've not heard Bartók with the clock. 

I went ahead and got the Rossini clock, and it does indeed improve the listening, or confirm my bias, or both. Now that I have these two pieces in heavy aluminum cases, my Rogue Audio Ares Magnum phono pre and RP-9 preamp look—dare I say it?—cheap? They still sound great, though.

Edited by John Gallup

Bob, it's on my short list.  My buddy Matt reviewed it for TAS.  He loves it and is trying to get me to audition it.  I'd love to, but not sure if I will be able to.  He said it was very much a relaxed presentation that most digital falls short on.  I wish digital was only DSD as that's the best way to get rid of the ringing issue I think.  It's why many of us love DSD.  

My short list is Bartok, Mola Mola, Ayre, Halo, Auralic and a few others.  There have been a few decent advances in digital over the last few years, so some of the ones that are 5 years old or older, need some updating.  I wont' spend the money on the Bartok, but I want to hear it again (it's been nearly 2 years since I spent some time with it).  Dave just has never had teh bass that I like.  very weak.  I liked the Ayre better back in the day and it's why I bought it when it first came out.  

Halo is the one that is hot right now, but I don't trust reviews and I don't trust we posters who post about it. That said, a few people I trust have said they love it.  I wish I could get it in for 30 days to see if it's worth it.  That said, I also am scared about goign direct to a company.  I'm leaning heavily to Auralic, but I need to spend legit time with it first and I want to hear it vs the Ayre and any other DAC I can get in at the same time.

• 2 months later...

GDNR Bob.....I have an Ayre preamp with 2 outputs to the power amp....one I use for the system amp, and the other for the dedicated headphone amp.   I noticed that when connected, the sound suffers as compared when one or the other is disconnected.   I called Ayre thinking something was wrong, but they agreed.  You might want to check your Ayre.

• 1 year later...

With my tiny DACmagic I connected my laptop and streamed Seattle’s Classic King FM broadcasts. My DAC indicated a sampling rate of 192kHz. I was expecting to hear more detail in the music but did not. I also noticed the lack of detail playing FLACs ripped at high resolution. When I spin cds and take advantage of the DACmagic I hear plenty of detail such as the buzz that accompanies lower brass instruments and more dynamics - accents, crescendos and percussion mallet and stick attacks. Why might the music from the laptop (streamed or from playing ripped files) not sound as good as from a cd?

• Like 1

I’ve yet to hear a laptop stream sound good for many reasons. Drives matter. That’s why some manufacturers are selling their own drives again. Timing and power issues are always a culprit. It’s about getting the cleanest signal to the DAC.  Sample rate is nice, but what was the bit rate?  I’m a WAV person over FLAC. That’s just me though. I use Roon (need to reup), but other services still sound a bit better on the same recordings .  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2021 at 3:50 PM, John Gallup said:

I went ahead and got the Rossini clock, and it does indeed improve the listening, or confirm my bias, or both. Now that I have these two pieces in heavy aluminum cases, my Rogue Audio Ares Magnum phono pre and RP-9 preamp look—dare I say it?—cheap? They still sound great, though.

Curious, John Gallup have you splurged for the Apex update? Heard the dCS rep play the Apex Bartok and the non-Apex Bartok. Demo was impressive. Apex immediately sounded improved. This was at a local event.

7 minutes ago, Boom Boom said:

Curious, John Gallup have you splurged for the Apex update? Heard the dCS rep play the Apex Bartok and the non-Apex Bartok. Demo was impressive. Apex immediately sounded improved. This was at a local event.

Reminds me to ping the dealer, Mike Rose at Excel Audio in Newport Beach. He said I was "in the cue" last month.