Quatro Wood CT Crossover

Just wondering... I own a pair of Quatro Wood CTs and use the accompanying Vandersteen crossover. It appears to use Audioquest interconnects. Would RV be willing to divulge what type or model of interconnects it uses or if it is proprietary? 

The pigtails vary depending on availability but have always been AQ based.  In other posts I have explained why AQ, so I won't go into that again but at 8-inch length between the high-pass and the input of the amplifier neutrality is the primary consideration.  This allows the character of the longer cable feeding the M5-HPB to be passed through because people have different tastes.  Nothing proprietary about the cable as we do not remove or obscure its identification.  Over the years no one has reported any internal digital high pass as better sounding than the M5HP(B) (example Theta HT processor) or analog (example Aesthetics) in fact found the M5-HP(B) significantly better the only exception being our M5-HPA which has the exact same parts internally.  This has nothing to do with more or less connections, or any other feature but everything to do with capacitor quality and correctly biasing said caps.  RV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GdnrBob said:

My pigtails are Sky.

Would it make sense to upgrade them, now that AQ has created far more resolving cables?

Bob

Bob, the new designs are not compatible with the high-pass function but how much could the geometry accomplish in such a short length.  Any wire improvement up stream will be passed right on through.  We do not upgrade the output pig-tails on any of the M5's.  The M7-HPB has 18-inch pig-tails and that probably will be a different story.  It could be the M7-HPB will have to go to an XLR in and out unfortunately that will add a lot of cost but at the SEVEN level cost is relevant.  RV

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Guys, I had Ayre install my internal HP filter into my AX5/20.  They used their reference components etc...   There was no way to see if it would have sounded better with Richard's high pass boxes, but I have heard the speakers and the 5 series separates with Richards HP boxes and it is probably similar etc...  I wish I had the external boxes at times so that I could have brought in other gear to audition as I enjoy doing that.  

On 6/5/2023 at 11:10 AM, ctsooner said:

Guys, I had Ayre install my internal HP filter into my AX5/20.

I have the same, paired w Quatro CTs. Ayre have a pair in house, from what I understand, and so they know the speakers well. With the crossover they also do a recap/upgrade while they’re under the hood. I have not compared w external crossovers, but it sounds great in my room. I never miss having separates (which I have heard w Vandersteens numerous times w Ayre, Audio Research, and w Vandersteen monos.) The integrated w internal crossover is very good, and doesn’t get much shorter.

• Like 1

Recently Ayre uploaded one of their "Pints With Ayre" episodes to YouTube specifically talking about their internal amplifier high pass filter option.

Pints With Ayre High Pass Amplifiers

They even offer this option on their new VX8 amplifier, which is the entry level amplifier product they sell.

Because I was curious, I spent a lot of time experimenting with my own high pass filters.  They are similar in concept to the Vandersteen offerings, but can't be switched to various amplifier input impedances - they are fixed for my own amplifier's.  I can tell you that the type of capacitor used really matters to the sound quality, and the best ones don't come cheap.  I got really close to the Vandersteen performance by using proper Teflon caps.  Not the same as what Vandersteen uses, because those don't seem to be available for purchase on the open market.  They take weeks to break in, as Richard has said before.  That meant that the process took months to work through.

Overall, it was good learning experience that I've been able to apply elsewhere.  If nothing else, I was able to work out a good way to burn in parts like these and circuits that use them.

My point is that this is not a trivial exercise and what you do with the high pass filters makes a big difference in the sound.

• Like 1

Thanks BK and that's exactly what I've heard from others who do it.  Caps are THE most important part of the signal path I would think.  My buddy lives close by and makes the music server/streamer I use.  We have experimented with the Wilson Caps (formerly WonderCaps if I recall) as well as Mundorf and a few others.  I actually feel some of the high end caps tilt the sound up and ruin the continuity I love from the Steen's.  It's just not easy to find the best sounding caps for your design and they aren't inexpensive as you pointed out in my humble experience.

On 6/16/2023 at 7:24 AM, BKDad said:

Recently Ayre uploaded one of their "Pints With Ayre" episodes to YouTube specifically talking about their internal amplifier high pass filter option.

Pints With Ayre High Pass Amplifiers

They even offer this option on their new VX8 amplifier, which is the entry level amplifier product they sell.

Because I was curious, I spent a lot of time experimenting with my own high pass filters.  They are similar in concept to the Vandersteen offerings, but can't be switched to various amplifier input impedances - they are fixed for my own amplifier's.  I can tell you that the type of capacitor used really matters to the sound quality, and the best ones don't come cheap.  I got really close to the Vandersteen performance by using proper Teflon caps.  Not the same as what Vandersteen uses, because those don't seem to be available for purchase on the open market.  They take weeks to break in, as Richard has said before.  That meant that the process took months to work through.

Overall, it was good learning experience that I've been able to apply elsewhere.  If nothing else, I was able to work out a good way to burn in parts like these and circuits that use them.

My point is that this is not a trivial exercise and what you do with the high pass filters makes a big difference in the sound.

Wow. This is a great video. I had this mod done to my AX-5 Twenty. Nice to get insights to the philosophy and implementation. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1