Optical Isolation or filter or something totally different????

8 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Relaxing is a word I rarely use with digital. 

This sounds great! I would be open to help you set up the Quatro's. But, if you want Johnny, then I'd be open to offering an additional pair of ears.

Bob

• Like 1

Bob, if I can get Johnny up, of course you are invited lol. If he can’t come, we’ll figure out a good day when Brenda is working at her office and not at home lol. I’m probably getting a chance to audition their reference devices to see the difference.  I also think he’s sending his  streamer soon too. 

9 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Bob, if I can get Johnny up, of course you are invited lol. If he can’t come, we’ll figure out a good day when Brenda is working at her office and not at home lol. I’m probably getting a chance to audition their reference devices to see the difference.  I also think he’s sending his  streamer soon too. 

As Merv Griffin would say- 

Ooooooh.

B

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:  I have the now discontinued Waversa EXT 1 passive device that I'll chose over all optical isolation devices I've yet to hear and I've been playing with most of them since they came out.  John from Waversa also sent me his reference EXT Ref (not his top one).  What a step up from the 1 (selling for cost around 700 or so).  I haven't heard the EXT 2 yet.  I think it's around 1600.  I was told it's still not nearly as good as the Ref unit I've fallen for.  In the world of digital, there are so many devices you can use to clean up signals etc... Optical isolation, better router and switches, power cords, power conditioners, all in one boxes that are over priced and are the size of a preamp.

I love a passive device that sounds better than an active one.  It's gotten better and better.  I can sit and listen for well over 4 hours at a time and not know where the time went. I'm listening to Jazz, Classical (thanks guys for your threads on great albums to steam).  I'm listening to Jackson Browne right now and the piano sounds like my mom used to play.   The overhang of notes are not what I'm used to with digital.  I'm hearing details that I dont' remember being there on many albums.  I'm loving Ron Tutts drum lines in the Sheffield Drum record that I've been in love with since it was released on analog so many years ago.  

I'm getting goosebumps on many of the vocals I'm playing.  You can hear the recording studio, cathedral and even the cuts that were recorded in the bathroom.  I don't get that nearly as much without this device.  It's easy to take it out and then plug it back in.  If you are serious about digital (as I have to be), this is a must get.  The EXT1 is perfect for smaller systems at 700, but he's about to sell those out quickly.  I'm sure the 2 is well worth the step up for the price based on the jump I got with this Ref unit.  I have the older IS2 device too.  I don't have the usb one, but will ask for it to see what that adds or doesn't.  John is a great guy to boot.  Rutan is selling his gear I believe.  I know they have spoke with his digital guy Jeff who is excellent and is keeping up on the latest.  

This is a fun upgrade for my system, and the wife loves it too.

In my system, I won't/can't go back to the 1.  It's just not in the same category and shouldn't be for the cost.  It's also using a different technology.  The US has very dirty ethernet and that's why all of these devices work so well here.  I have the Ethernet one Bob.  I was told the USB will make a difference, but not nearly near what the ethernet units do.  

If someone is running digital and can afford $700 for a close out EXT1, it's a strong value that doesn't need a cord or anything.  The EXT2 is supposed to be a tremendous upgrade as it uses some of the technology from the ref unit I'm LOVING.  The Ref unit is a must audition for digital systems that are worthy of great digital signals.  It's one of those rare products that are a component upgrade even at that cost.  I'd have to buy a 50k plus MSB  DAC to better my Nyquist/ Waversa EXT Ref set up.  

2 hours ago, ctsooner said:

I'd have to buy a 50k plus MSB  DAC to better my Nyquist/ Waversa EXT Ref set up.

That is saying something, Peter.

I was going to spring for the EXT-1, but am waiting for John to reply to my email regarding the 2 version.

This whole digital thing keeps evolving so fast that I feel that rather than buy the discounted earlier version, it would make sense to buy the newer model, and take the hit.

B

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 5:34 AM, ctsooner said:

… there are so many devices you can use to clean up signals etc …

Technically there is just noise being added, there is no way to clean it up as there is no dirt on skin, or boundary at the edge of the signal. Nor is there a distillation process.
There is only one direction it can go, so it is a matter of magnitude, and keeping it small.

57 minutes ago, GdnrBob said:

This whole digital thing keeps evolving so fast that I feel that rather than buy the …

Yeah LOL.

That promise in the early 80s of perfect sound, almost sounded too good to be true.
Every year the perfection goes up another level, it is mind boggling how the pace of perfection can be eternally improving.

I was certainly surprised when I got a DAC. The hums and clicks which were seldom seen by me except for one house… suddenly became a bit of a bother.

• Like 1

Guys I’ve. Even so late to the game IRT power cords (had one that AJ Conte sold me used that made a nice difference, but wasn’t. Killer difference. When I heard Garth’s prototypes, I was floored. It was at Rutan’s along with Richard and I knew I was about to dip my toes in that water. Love my Dragon and Hurricanes. They make a fairly large difference in my house. I’ve used optical or medical filters for years, but nothing has done what these devices have done in my system. It’s not hyperbole.  

I asked Brenda to come help AB and she said it wasn’t a difficult decision.  She had no idea what I was doing and 100% knew when I made the switch to the better one and I played the games of pretending to change etc.  it’s just like when I change the jitter settings on my server. It’s just blatant.  That’s why I have decided to keep the Ref unit over the EXT 1.  Anyone is invited over to hear lol. If the wife allows it of course. She’s not always up for it, but when she’s on the road…… 😉