Some good info on speaker cabinets, etc. LONG READ!

I am jealous of this guy as he did a lot of work without  compensation as far as I can tell, oh well his business.  I wish I had that kind of time.  I will make a few points: 1)  Just because many in a test environment can't hear " time and phase"  does not make it so.  2)  It is a waste of time to obsess with the exact crossover components because these parts need to be manipulated to work with the imperfections of the drivers  to give a more accurate acoustic response at the listening position.  3)  All speaker designs have a correct vertical height for all of the drivers to sum correctly or as intended by their designer and not difficult to do as most people listen while seated.  4)  Most of his science is correct I just disagree with some of his assumptions.  5)  I look forward to hearing the speaker he brings to market as all speakers are a balance of compromises.   This Saw will go on forever and that is OK with me as I hear the difference  in how the music connects emotionally and how the equipment disappears even with my eyes open.  RV

• Thanks 1

As far as time and phase alignment, I can clearly hear a difference when I stand up from my listening chair!

Remember the old days (50s-60s) with the stand up-sit down test?  They WANTED the speakers to sound the same...

Did you check out the main menu on that guys site?    What an incredible amount of info.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DC-93 said:

As far as time and phase alignment, I can clearly hear a difference when I stand up from my listening chair!

Remember the old days (50s-60s) with the stand up-sit down test?  They WANTED the speakers to sound the same...

Did you check out the main menu on that guys site?    What an incredible amount of info.

DC-93, all speakers have a best vertical height assuming the speaker is a vertical array.  The only way for this not to be would require the speaker to be very low resolution.  When a speaker is not "time and phase" correct it does make less of a change but the different distance to each the drivers affects the way they sum together.  Just a comment on Time and Phase correct speakers, they are not always first order filters because the driver response and the filter together need to add at the listening position.  When are you going to post a picture of your system which will also put you in compliance with Forum rules.  Thanks, RV

• Like 1