“Alternative” bedroom system help?

Hi Folks,

Somewhat odd topic here. My wife and I listen to books on tape when we go to sleep every night. 
I used to have my desk set up in the bedroom so always had a small system we used. 
Recently we moved into a 2 bedroom apartment so my desk system is in another room. 5As are in the LR and we then had 2ce SigIIs in the bedroom. It was a little sad that the 2s were only being used to listen to stories for 20 minutes before I started snoring so have since sold them to a close friend who will get much joy out of them. 
This leaves me with just a Bluetooth speaker in the (~15x15’) bedroom which is functional but also not the kind of fun folks like us on this forum like to have.

This brings me to the request for opinions from all the wonderful folks here. Since this system would primarily be used for books on tape at night and NPR in the morning; it’s almost all recorded voice. As such I’ve been thinking about something different/fun.

Perhaps the little Maggie LRS, a single driver “full-range” speaker, some old Ohm Walsh, open baffle, who knows? 

Obviously we’ve got to go out and listen to some stuff / see what could be out there on a budget, but thought I would seek some thoughts from the hobbyists here for fun.

Many pennies in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers!

Steve M

@stebaht I was somewhat in a similar situation like yours and needed something that could be used in my bedroom while watching television. My wife refused to entertain another set of Vandersteen’s (since I was thinking of getting used vlr’s) nor was she willing to have another receiver and cables staring at us. I ended up getting a Marshall Woburn bluetooth speaker which is amazing for the amount of air it moves and the quality of sound especially if it’s just for watching tv or listening to music in the background. The lack of wires makes it extremely convenient to place it anywhere. The portability also allows it to double up for entertainment in the backyard. It’s a big speaker not the usual portable bluetooth kind.  Best Buy should have it so you might be able to check it out…

Edited by stratocaster

48 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

@stebaht I was somewhat in a similar situation like yours and needed something that could be used in my bedroom while watching television. My wife refused to entertain another set of Vandersteen’s (since I was thinking of getting used vlr’s) nor was she willing to have another receiver and cables staring at us. I ended up getting a Marshall Woburn bluetooth speaker which is amazing for the amount of air it moves and the quality of sound especially if it’s just for watching tv or listening to music in the background. The lack of wires makes it extremely convenient to place it anywhere. The portability also allows it to double up for entertainment in the backyard. It’s a big speaker not the usual portable bluetooth kind.  Best Buy should have it so you might be able to check it out…

Thanks, Stratocaster! Never heard of it, I will look one up. 

We have a Tivoli Model One analog radio on each nightstand in our bedroom.  They get listened to maybe every couple of months.  No TV in there at all.

My theory, which my wife happens to agree with (yea!), is that it's easy to over listen to high quality music, which then diminishes its specialness and how we appreciate it.

But, to each their own...

• Like 1

I second the VLR's. (But, you probably guessed it😄).

The best part is that you can use them as a basis for a future second system.

John Rutan has a neat little set up with the VLR's in the front of the store with a Belles Aria Integrated. Though he has a Sub 3 hooked up, you can just start with a basic system and add when you are ready to move up.

I am glad you posted, as I am thinking of listening to ebooks, too. I never thought of using my system that way.

B

7 hours ago, stebaht said:

they are a little tough to find, though!

Yes,  a used pair rarely comes up- most likely an earlier iteration. But, if you can buy the non-CT version, it is around $2K, not that expensive, as things go. And, you'll get a warranty.

I hate to sound like a 'Fanboy', but the VLR's have become my main listening speaker. I own the Treo CT's, but listen mostly in my office.  I find firing up my office system easier than the main system and now rarely use the main system.-Which can be seen as somewhat wasteful. 

But, when I listen on the Office system, I just seem to let the music play and relax- well, paying bills isn't that relaxing, but it allows me to listen to music at a high quality that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.

I have a pair of Hsu subs with the VLR's that add that bit of bass, but really aren't necessary as they are positioned near the corners of the room.-You will be surprised at how much bass they can provide if you locate them near a corner.

I never thought these little guys could be as impressive given the size and the simple driver assembly. Originally, I bought a pair of Zu Omen Bookshelves, thinking that a full range driver would be a better route, but, I was sorely mistaken.  The smaller VLR's really outshined the Zu by a long mile.

I posted on Audiogon about my feelings about these little speakers, but it seems few have been as impressed as I have. -With, not only their performance, but with the ability to upgrade them to a level akin to a floorstander with the use of a sub as well as high quality cabling.

Okay, label me 'Fanboy'.😜

B

I wasn’t aware you could still find the non-CT version. And thanks for making the comparison to the Zu as that is a speaker / style of speaker I have been considering!

In the past I owned a pair of 1Bs which I did enjoy very much. As VLRs would need to go on stands and are limited in bass output, I wonder if just opting for a newer pair of the 1s would be the best route - they are easy to drive, take up less space and still provide the sound / musicality we’ve come to love over the years. 

I’ve heard Johnny’s VLR setup with the sub 3 (and other folks setup with 2wqs) and it is very good. Alas I sold my pair of 2wqs - maybe I should have kept 1 of them 😕

I wouldn't say the VLR's are 'bass limited.'

If you could mount them near the room corners, you'd get a definite boost in bass. 

Due to space limitations, I mounted my VLR's on the wall near the ceiling with speaker brackets from Amazon. Despite being near-field, the little VLR's still project a dimensional stereo image. 

If I could locate my desk to the far wall, it would be even better.

Finally, using them in this fashion, to be honest, I found that the bass without the Hsu subs is more than adequate.- I just like to gild the lily in my systems.😉

Bob

13 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I just like to gild the lily in my systems.

Cheers to that, Bob! 

My desk setup is a pair of Cambridge Audio S30 ‘bookshelves’ (an Inexpensive speaker that truly amazes) with an M&K sub. 🙂

-Steve 

12 hours ago, ctsooner said:

Guys, just go to the main page of this site and check out teh CT and non CT versions.  

It is a bit of a reassurance to see the graphs in the “Specifications” section. 😎

Edited by Holmz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welp, I know ya’ll we’re onto the VLR’s but I ended up finding a great deal on a pair of 1Ci+’s 🙂

I’ll send a pic around when I get them in hand! 

As always - thanks for the input!! Hope to see some of you at Audio Connection in November perhaps?

Best,

Steve M

• Like 1