Possible Quatro Wood CT Upgrade

Glen

I’ve mentioned in another thread that I am strongly considering an upgrade from my Quatro Woods to the newer CT version. However, I have some questions that stem from curiosity and practicality.

Have there been any incremental changes in the Quatro CTs over the last several years? IOWs, if I purchase an 8 year old pair vs a new one, are there any considerations that I need to factor in regarding the performance/improvements?

Also, are there high-pass filters with Teflon caps for the Quatro CTs like there are for the Kentos and Model 7s? I just want to make sure that I make the most informed decision I can if I trade up from my current Quatros.

From what I’ve read, the Quatro Wood CT has a new carbon tweeter, a 4.5” midrange with different material, new 8” woofer baskets (aluminum), and has been reworked in the anechoic chamber for a refined sound. A Stereophile review mentioned something about the 6.5” woofer internal chamber having been changed. I’m not sure what that’s about nor what impact some of the other changes may have on the sound, except for the CT, which is a more easy to grasp concept.

I’m curious if the placement I am currently using will be where I should place the new CTs or if all these aforementioned changes will add up to starting over with the speaker placement process. Also, if I missed some of the changes/upgrades from the older Quatro Woods to the newer CT version, please feel free to let me know.

As Mr. V. implements upgrades as time goes on, buying a more recent pair would probably be the best way to get to the most current iteration. Maybe Mr. V. can let you know what are the current serial numbers, so you can determine roughly how old the speakers you are considering are.

I asked John Rutan about the upgraded high pass filters, and he seemed to convey it worth the expense with my Treo's. Though, it probably depends upon how resolving your equipment is.

Bob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glen said:

I’ve mentioned in another thread that I am strongly considering an upgrade from my Quatro Woods to the newer CT version. However, I have some questions that stem from curiosity and practicality.

Have there been any incremental changes in the Quatro CTs over the last several years? IOWs, if I purchase an 8 year old pair vs a new one, are there any considerations that I need to factor in regarding the performance/improvements?

Also, are there high-pass filters with Teflon caps for the Quatro CTs like there are for the Kentos and Model 7s? I just want to make sure that I make the most informed decision I can if I trade up from my current Quatros.

From what I’ve read, the Quatro Wood CT has a new carbon tweeter, a 4.5” midrange with different material, new 8” woofer baskets (aluminum), and has been reworked in the anechoic chamber for a refined sound. A Stereophile review mentioned something about the 6.5” woofer internal chamber having been changed. I’m not sure what that’s about nor what impact some of the other changes may have on the sound, except for the CT, which is a more easy to grasp concept.

I’m curious if the placement I am currently using will be where I should place the new CTs or if all these aforementioned changes will add up to starting over with the speaker placement process. Also, if I missed some of the changes/upgrades from the older Quatro Woods to the newer CT version, please feel free to let me know.

Glen, there have been improvements in all of our models over the years.  Some of these changes are easy to see like the change from mica filled (smooth cone) poly to the woven tri composite (woven looking) cone used today in many of our models or the change to a cast basket on the Acoustic Coupler in the Treo CT, etc .  Our dealers know about most of these changes and would be the best source for purchasing previously owned speakers as customers upgrade.  They know how to assess proper performance and care and it allows you to listen to them and determine if the sound equals or exceeds the asking price.  Buying off the open market is done with some risk as we have seen speakers represented as mint with junk drivers sufficient to make noise but over time the owners decide this model is not satisfactory and sells them.  Later the next owner finds burned crossover components and substitute drivers causing substandard performance.  ALWAYS AUDITION ANY COMPONENT BEFORE BUYING THEM OR HAVE RETURN PRIVILEGES if not from a Vandersteen Dealer.  Today freight is a major factor so try to find your speakers local. If getting the latest greatest is your goal the only way to be assured of that would be to order a new pair.  As a bonus you get the finish you want and a warrantee.   RV

• Like 1

Smart move Glen. Too many horror stories with used Vandys. As Richard said, I’ve known too many who got screwed.  Too many think their upgrades are better and when they are sold, real Vandy owners realize they got screwed. 

It’s not a good deal unless you know the piece intimately.  JMHO. 

• Thanks 1