Ayre AX-5 twenty

Has anyone used the Quatro ct and M5 HPB filter with the Ayre AX-5 twenty amp?  

Had a phone conversation with John at Audio Connection a while back  and he suggested that solid state amp would work better with the Quatro's  than my ARC ref-110.

Have a line on a AX-5 for crazy good money and need some expert guidance.

Have a QX-5 twenty also and since it has such a great clock, how deep do you need to go into a digital USB cable? Looking at the Diamond.

J

I’m running an AX-5 Twenty with my Quattro CTs. (I chose the Ayre over ARC vsi75/gsi75 integrateds.)

I had Ayre install an internal crossover specific to the Quatro CTs. (Their youtube channel has an excellent in depth conversation about their internal crossovers.) I did not try an external crossover, so no insights on the comparison. 

I just got a QX-5 Twenty a few months ago. I have not tried many different cables, but I cannot say hear any difference between the usb/AES cables that I have tried. (I’m using basic BlueJeans cables rather than some of the pricier options I’ve borrowed and auditioned.)

In my experience minor adjustments in speaker placement (often fractions of an inch) make a distinct and audible difference, whereas I cannot hear differences in the various cables that I’ve tried.

The Ayre integrated is fantastic. And the company is wonderful with support (although they can take a while.)

Best luck!

• Like 1

Donald, I will second Ayre. They are great to work with, and their equipment works well with our speakers.

Just make sure it is a 'Twenty' version- which is the Diamond circuitry. I don't know if the AX-5 has a non-Twenty, but just putting this out there.

All the 'Twenty' DAC's offer great resolution at a great price, you have to spend 2-3x more to hear more detail.

My 2 cents.

Bob

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ursus13 said:

I’m running an AX-5 Twenty with my Quattro CTs. (I chose the Ayre over ARC vsi75/gsi75 integrateds.)

I had Ayre install an internal crossover specific to the Quatro CTs. (Their youtube channel has an excellent in depth conversation about their internal crossovers.) I did not try an external crossover, so no insights on the comparison. 

I just got a QX-5 Twenty a few months ago. I have not tried many different cables, but I cannot say hear any difference between the usb/AES cables that I have tried. (I’m using basic BlueJeans cables rather than some of the pricier options I’ve borrowed and auditioned.)

In my experience minor adjustments in speaker placement (often fractions of an inch) make a distinct and audible difference, whereas I cannot hear differences in the various cables that I’ve tried.

The Ayre integrated is fantastic. And the company is wonderful with support (although they can take a while.)

Best luck!

Had a talk with Ayre yesterday  and they stated that the AX-5 won't work with the Quatro with out their internal crossover. I inquired because I was thinking someone had used the external filter with the AX-5.

I'm moving to the AX-5 because I found while streaming with the QX-5 my listening sessions are much longer and so the hrs on the tubes will require a rebias much to soon for me. 

I thank you for your feedback and would  love to hear more on your experience with the QX-5 .   I'm very new to the streaming world so the learning curve is a bit more than I counted on.

J

I had the built in in my AX5/20. Mine was upgraded from the non 20 version. They also upgraded some internal caps to top ones. Sounded amazing. Worth the cost.  I still like separates with a 3’ speaker cable much better, but I’d you can only do an integrated, it’s a wonderful piece to use. Matches so well. Remember we that Ayre has a Quatro in house they use to voice etc.  

@ctsooner is spot on: Ayre has a pair of Quatro CTs in house. The Ayre AX-5 Twenty crossover service/upgrade is more than just the crossover.

@dsisssupYou could also ask Ayre to also check the bypass/headphone out on the AX. They may have an upgrade/fix for the signal bleed through the speaker outs. Although with the QX-5 Twenty, you'll be using that headphone amp, it's terrific.

The digital front end doesn't need to be complicated. I upgraded to the QX-5 Twenty from the Schiit Yggy. The Yggy is a fantastic DAC. The QX-5 Twenty was so resolving that for the first week I was wondering if it was too bright. Not so. I did a minor speaker adjustment, and also I think I just got used to the difference. For some recordings I tend to listen at a slightly lower volume. (Typically around 73dB at listening position.)

I'm using the new USB module for my input, playing from a Lumin U1 Mini streamer. I mostly use Tidal, utilizing the connect function, because it sounds great and I really like the interface. I went back and forth trying the AES input and the new Ether module, but the USB was the best combination for me. Again, mainly because I like the Tidal UI (rather than the Lumin UI or a UI that is compatible with the Ayre ethernet. There may be a great UI for the Ayre Ethernet, but I'm not aware of it. And I don't use Roon.)

I also use the optical on the QX-5 from our TV so that we can watch shows and movies through our stereo system, which is awesome.

I figured out that the AX-5 allows you to volume match inputs by 6dB (I think), which was useful to more closely match the digital and analog front ends.

I've had the AX-5 Twenty for about five years, and the QX-5 Twenty for a couple months.

Have you posted a photo and description of your system yet? That makes it easier to discuss and make suggestions, etc. (It may also be forum policy to post your system? @Richard Vandersteen might be able to clarify.)

Feel free to ask questions, @ctsooner is a great resource with lots of Ayre and Vandersteen experience. If I remember any more Ayre tips or idiosyncrasies I'll chime in.

Welcome to the forum!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ursus13 said:

@ctsooner is spot on: Ayre has a pair of Quatro CTs in house. The Ayre AX-5 Twenty crossover service/upgrade is more than just the crossover.

@dsisssupYou could also ask Ayre to also check the bypass/headphone out on the AX. They may have an upgrade/fix for the signal bleed through the speaker outs. Although with the QX-5 Twenty, you'll be using that headphone amp, it's terrific.

The digital front end doesn't need to be complicated. I upgraded to the QX-5 Twenty from the Schiit Yggy. The Yggy is a fantastic DAC. The QX-5 Twenty was so resolving that for the first week I was wondering if it was too bright. Not so. I did a minor speaker adjustment, and also I think I just got used to the difference. For some recordings I tend to listen at a slightly lower volume. (Typically around 73dB at listening position.)

I'm using the new USB module for my input, playing from a Lumin U1 Mini streamer. I mostly use Tidal, utilizing the connect function, because it sounds great and I really like the interface. I went back and forth trying the AES input and the new Ether module, but the USB was the best combination for me. Again, mainly because I like the Tidal UI (rather than the Lumin UI or a UI that is compatible with the Ayre ethernet. There may be a great UI for the Ayre Ethernet, but I'm not aware of it. And I don't use Roon.)

I also use the optical on the QX-5 from our TV so that we can watch shows and movies through our stereo system, which is awesome.

I figured out that the AX-5 allows you to volume match inputs by 6dB (I think), which was useful to more closely match the digital and analog front ends.

I've had the AX-5 Twenty for about five years, and the QX-5 Twenty for a couple months.

Have you posted a photo and description of your system yet? That makes it easier to discuss and make suggestions, etc. (It may also be forum policy to post your system? @Richard Vandersteen might be able to clarify.)

Feel free to ask questions, @ctsooner is a great resource with lots of Ayre and Vandersteen experience. If I remember any more Ayre tips or idiosyncrasies I'll chime in.

Welcome to the forum!

ursus13, it is a requirement to post a picture of one's system to join.  Some slip through and Brad has not gone through and checked as it will terminate privileges.  It is part of this community, makes it easier for others to help out and not much to ask, IMO.  RV

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ctsooner said:

I had the built in in my AX5/20. Mine was upgraded from the non 20 version. They also upgraded some internal caps to top ones. Sounded amazing. Worth the cost.  I still like separates with a 3’ speaker cable much better, but I’d you can only do an integrated, it’s a wonderful piece to use. Matches so well. Remember we that Ayre has a Quatro in house they use to voice etc.  

Now I remember after seeing your comment some time ago and you said that it was possible to get crossovers from Johnny. I'm using the M-5 HBP and Ayre said they don't work.

Does Johnny have something different? If so, and if they work better I would need to get in touch soon because I gave Ayre the go ahead today to install their crossovers.

Reading comments on the Lumin .  I thought something was said about you can't do wifi. How have you got yours configured?

After Christmas and after I get the AX-5 going  I was thinking the lumin might work.

I'm just a rookie at this streaming world and don't want to make any costly mistakes.

8 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

ursus13, it is a requirement to post a picture of one's system to join.  Some slip through and Brad has not gone through and checked as it will terminate privileges.  It is part of this community, makes it easier for others to help out and not much to ask, IMO.  RV

I did post my system I believe it was   the beginning of last  year however, I think reposting is in order because of some changes.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Richard Vandersteen said:

3 minutes ago, dsisssup said:

Now I remember after seeing your comment some time ago and you said that it was possible to get crossovers from Johnny. I'm using the M-5 HBP and Ayre said they don't work.

Does Johnny have something different? If so, and if they work better I would need to get in touch soon because I gave Ayre the go ahead today to install their crossovers.

Reading comments on the Lumin .  I thought something was said about you can't do wifi. How have you got yours configured?

After Christmas and after I get the AX-5 going  I was thinking the lumin might work.

I'm just a rookie at this streaming world and don't want to make any costly mistakes.

I did post my system I believe it was   the beginning of last  year however, I think reposting is in order because of some changes.

Thank you for your input and I will try to respond but it's sometimes difficult. Please forgive If I don't respond, often times my wife has to help.

J

On 9/20/2023 at 4:22 PM, GdnrBob said:

Donald, I will second Ayre. They are great to work with, and their equipment works well with our speakers.

Just make sure it is a 'Twenty' version- which is the Diamond circuitry. I don't know if the AX-5 has a non-Twenty, but just putting this out there.

All the 'Twenty' DAC's offer great resolution at a great price, you have to spend 2-3x more to hear more detail.

My 2 cents.

Bob

Thank you Bob. Appreciate all your help .

Don

1 hour ago, dsisssup said:

After Christmas and after I get the AX-5 going  I was thinking the lumin might work

I have my Lumin streamer hardwired via ethernet to my router. I think you can get a wifi connection via an external antenna, I believe I saw that UpscaleAudio has a solution for this. The QX-5/20 has this option as well.  Hardwired is best if you can swing it.

1 hour ago, dsisssup said:

I gave Ayre the go ahead today to install their crossovers.

The internal Ayre crossover is the way to go. Don’t question your choice. You’ll love how it sounds and how easy it is. You’ll forget about it as soon as you get it set up it’s so seamless.

What streaming service(s) are you using? Are you streaming currently? Any analogue front end?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GdnrBob said:

Yes, the internal crossover will probably be equivalent to the M7HP crossovers. Ayre uses what the consider the best match for their equipment.

The M5 crossovers are no slouch, but offer what is needed at a basic price point.

Bob

GdnrBob,  the internal high-pass that AYRE installs in their integrated are M5-HPB level as I consulted with Arial about it.  They use Styrene caps like we do in our M5-HP(B)'s.  The M7-HP(B) level high-pass would require a billet Chassis and Teflon caps on the order of our Liquid cooled M7-HPA amplifier (also used in our M5-HPA mono block amplifiers).   Again, a very good option for our Quatro customers and very adequate for the systems these components are used in.  RV 

• Like 1

Related question:  I am considering either a used AX-5 Twenty vs used VX-5 Twenty and KX-5 Twenty.  Has anyone compared the integrated AX vs the KX/VX combination?  Would it be worth the extra cost to get the separates in your opinion?  I will be powering a pair of Quatro CTs.  If I get the AX I would have to send it in to Ayre for the high-pass filter.

Separates are always better!  Separate power supplies for pre-amp and power amp, ability to use shorter speaker wires (speaker wires are deadly for sound compared to longer interconnects) and more flexibility.  Many assume that eliminating a few connections and one cable is superior, NOT!  The AYRE integrated is great if it totally exhausts the budget and then the internal high pass is mandatory.  RV

• Like 2

I had the AX5/20 as it was all I could afford at the time. Once I heard the separates, I was floored at the difference. I do like the internal pre in the Ax better than the separate one, but using a shorter cable run is huge.  Try it at the dealer and you’ll see what I’m sharing. No brained for separates if you can afford them IMHO. 

I got really lucky and scored the MX-R and KX-R (non Twenty), used. I could upgrade them to 'Twenty' status, but am waiting for a pair of M5's to come up on the used market.

As I am still waiting to find those amps, the new preamp probably won't be on my list for a while.😪

Anyhoo, I still have a pretty smokin' system.😁

Bob

• Like 1