Video and audio of Saint-Saens Symphony #3

John Gallup

Found this through a recommendo in Stereophile, and it's pretty great.  The Frankfurt Radio Orchestra is in what I presume is their regular hall, and the directors and camera crew do a really good job of highlighting the key players at their moments in the spotlight. The bass sound is pretty strong on my system, and they have some very complex parts. The organ for this occasion seems, uh...more than adequate, particularly when it announces its arrival in the second movement. 

Frankfurt Radio Orchestra in their hall, with an enormous pipe organ behind the orchestra. Seriously, the thing must be 80 feet long and have 200 pipes.

Edited by John Gallup
Add more info
  • Like 3

Thanks for sharing John. I have been a yearly subscriber to the Berlin Philharmonic’s Digital Concert Hall over the last few years, and it is a first class operation in terms of the production, let alone the quality of the orchestra itself.  And an incredible hall in terms of its architecture. My favorite weekends are when I get to see a live performance on Saturday afternoon during the season.

Enjoy

Brian

Edited by bkeske
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GdnrBob said:

I didn't know about the Berlin Philharmonic having a subscription that had video as well as audio.

Yep, The Digital Concert Hall. First rate service, and highly recommended.

They just had a 15 year anniversary special over the weekend which was incredibly interesting. Quite a quality production staff and equipment.

Edited by bkeske
  • Like 1