For Frank Zappa Fans Only

Gsal

Here's an interesting quote I found from Frank Zappa. Can't verify its validity and it is a bit confusing in my opinion but like I said...interesting.

Frank Zappa : " I put my system in the upstairs toilet, right next to my bedroom. It's the most convenient place in the house to keep the kids' hands away. My KLH speakers' Model 5' are in the living room and smaller speakers from the same brand are suspended from the ceiling in my bedroom. My system is not a "Playboy" Deluxe model... which I don't like anyway, it's It's because of him that I got into the habit of listening to pressings of my albums. I imagine that this is the configuration that everyone has. The big KLMs simulate a bump in the mids like the speakers the most common. The sound of the KLMs in the room is flatter. It was on them that I mixed the album Hot Rats "

• Like 1

Since this has gone off topic, a bit, let me throw this in.

My wife went to college slash music school with a couple of guys who later played in FZ's band.  Both majored in the classical division of the school, although she remembers them also doing things in the renegade jazz division as well.  Point is, this shows where Zappa's preferences ran.

(This may be my post for 2024.  So early in the year, too!)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Steve Edwards said:

I just received the 2 x 45 reissue of Overnight Sensation.  In addition to being a very good remaster & pressing, I think it is one of his most “approachable”, if there is such thing. 

I have it also. A great remaster and pressing of this wonderful Zappa recording. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 9:26 PM, BKDad said:

Since this has gone off topic, a bit, let me throw this in.

My wife went to college slash music school with a couple of guys who later played in FZ's band.  Both majored in the classical division of the school, although she remembers them also doing things in the renegade jazz division as well.  Point is, this shows where Zappa's preferences ran.

(This may be my post for 2024.  So early in the year, too!)

Never off topic.  Great story for sure.  My older cousin turned me onto Zappa around 73 or so (probably a year or two earlier).  I already had a nice system in the house.  My parents hated it when I listened to him.  

• Like 1

For those who might not feel inclined to check out Zappa's "rock n roll" I would suggest you sample The Yellow Shark, an album of orchestral music by Frank Zappa. It is performed by the Ensemble Modern based in Germany. Well recorded too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1