Help with speaker or amp upgrade, please:

Not to confuse things even more, but last year for my 60th birthday, I bought myself a pair of original cloth Quatros with high pass filters followed quickly by some used DH Labs Q10 Signature bi-wire speaker cable. All-in, including retermination of the speaker  wire with top quality AQ spades, I’m into it for about $5,500.  I probably could have waited for similar quality AQ wire like Rocket 88 but it was hard to find used in the right lengths and bi-wired and I’m not getting any younger!  In any event, it was a huge step up from my prior speakers for a fraction of the cost of new.  I assume John Rutan and other dealers often get older Quatros in for trade and that could be your solution. Unless you are really handy with a multimeter and have the proper Radio Shack spl meter for setting the bass EQ, you will want a dealer to help with setup. Next replace the Odyssey amp with an Ayre integrated with the internal crossover (and sell the external HP filters) or a Belles and that could be all you will ever need/want.  

If you are in the NYC area or anywhere close, call or drop in to Audio Connection and talk to John. He’s the best and really knows Vandys and how to drive them. Right now he has Quatro CTs set up with an Ayre amp and it’s simply incredible. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, X5owner said:

Not to confuse things even more, but last year for my 60th birthday, I bought myself a pair of original cloth Quatros with high pass filters followed quickly by some used DH Labs Q10 Signature bi-wire speaker cable. All-in, including retermination of the speaker  wire with top quality AQ spades, I’m into it for about $5,500.  I probably could have waited for similar quality AQ wire like Rocket 88 but it was hard to find used in the right lengths and bi-wired and I’m not getting any younger!  In any event, it was a huge step up from my prior speakers for a fraction of the cost of new.  I assume John Rutan and other dealers often get older Quatros in for trade and that could be your solution. Unless you are really handy with a multimeter and have the proper Radio Shack spl meter for setting the bass EQ, you will want a dealer to help with setup. Next replace the Odyssey amp with an Ayre integrated with the internal crossover (and sell the external HP filters) or a Belles and that could be all you will ever need/want.  

If you are in the NYC area or anywhere close, call or drop in to Audio Connection and talk to John. He’s the best and really knows Vandys and how to drive them. Right now he has Quatro CTs set up with an Ayre amp and it’s simply incredible. 

Thanks, @X5owner

I’ve obviously got to agree with Tomic, BFW and RV that upgrading the speaker itself is going to make the biggest improvement. Considering budget limitations etc, have you thought about adding a Vandersteen sub? 

this relieves amp and speakers from a lot of duty, opening up the sound big time and adding room adjustable bass to your system and could prove to be a huge AND cost efficient upgrade. 

just a thought!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, stebaht said:

I’ve obviously got to agree with Tomic, BFW and RV that upgrading the speaker itself is going to make the biggest improvement. Considering budget limitations etc, have you thought about adding a Vandersteen sub? 
this relieves amp and speakers from a lot of duty, opening up the sound big time and adding room adjustable bass to your system and could prove to be a huge AND cost efficient upgrade. 

@TomicTime runs a sub or two with his Treo CTs, and has said he is happy with that. So does one of the sales guys at "my" Vandy dealer. Maybe not a bad way to go vs Quatro CTs, because it could be a graduated/phased program. I know the Treo CT would be excellent even without  sub/s.

I haven't thought about adding a sub or two with my 2CE SigIII's. Hmmmm.

Edited by Patrick D
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Patrick D said:

@TomicTime runs a sub or two with his Treo CTs, and has said he is happy with that. So does one of the sales guys at "my" Vandy dealer. Maybe not a bad way to go vs Quatro CTs, because it could be a graduated/phased program. I know the Treo CT would be excellent even without  sub/s.

I haven't thought about adding a sub or two with my 2CE SigIII's. Hmmmm.

I ran a pair of 2wqs with my 2 Sig IIs with outstanding results! And I was using much more modest electronics than you.

have since upgraded to 5As with RV’s hi-pass amps 🙂

just my 2 scents

• Like 1

If I was in your position, I would pursue the Treo CT, instead of different amplification, cables, etc. The “carbon dome” tweeter in the Treo CT, which is also in my Quatro  Wood CT, is extraordinarily good. I listen to the Treo CT at my local Vandersteen dealer’s store from time to time and hear a very similar degree of high-frequency detail, spaciousness, and layering to what I hear from my Quatro Wood CT. This Vandersteen dealer also demonstrates Model 2Ce Signature III, which are remarkable at their price point, but I find that the Treo CT delivers substantially greater insight into the music while also, in my opinion, looking much more attractive in a domestic environment.

If the Treo CT is simply too far of a reach monetarily, then in addition to some of the suggestions offered above I would point you to the Model 3A Signature. Admittedly, I have a soft spot in my heart for them because I owned them many years ago and each and every aural memory of them is positive, including my perception of how much of an improvement they were compared to the Model 2Ce Signature II that I owned before them. The Model 3A Signature can DIG DEEP into the bass region and present music on a large virtual stage - really satisfying.

Lastly, I suspect your current cables are doing their jobs properly, so urge you to resist spending more on cables until your mind is at ease and your music sounds glorious with upgraded loudspeakers or electronics.

Best of luck in your journey.

Thanks @Schuesmp! I have auditioned the Treo CT at some length, but need to again. I came very close to getting them 4 years ago (and missed a great deal on a like-new pair 😓). I also love the way they look, and it would be really nice to be able to put the speakers near the front wall, and the Treo is designed for that.  PD

• Like 3

On 2/27/2024 at 5:45 AM, Patrick D said:

Hi, I have the latest version of the  2CE SigIII, which replaced my 20 year old pair of 2CEs. As you can tell, I love them! What I wanted when I got the newest SigIIIs was the Treo CT though, and couldn't quite swing a new pair, and the price has gone up in 3 years  (I missed a great deal back then on a like-new used pair for $6000 from John Rutan at Audio Connection).

The help/advice I need is this:

• Do I upgrade from my good Odyssey Audio KHARTAGO++ amp and keep the 2CE SigIIIs and switch to mono blocks (maybe the well-reviewed Van Alstine 225) because the 2CE improves with each upgrade upstream to amp and preamp?
  • Or, would I yield better results by keeping my amp and upgrading to the Treo CT (along with speaker cables, replacing my old Audioquests with better AQ cables)? Going that route will be more expensive, for sure.  $4k for the mono blocks, vs $10-12k for Treos. By keeping the 2CEs, I would have $$ left over to upgrade my preamp and/or DAC too. 

I'm 66 and the ears aren't getting younger. I love the look of the Treo CT (the sound benefits are already well-known), and being able to place them closer to the wall. I have a small dedicated listening room, so the look of the 2CE doesn't bother me and I am used to it.  

I have been told by smart people that going to monoblocks will yield very good improvements, speakers aside. 

THANKS. I don't upgrade often and I am careful...I can't or won't try upgrades that could cost me $1000s in losses if I get it wrong. 

The other option is just to enjoy it as it is.
(it would be end game for many people.)

If you did speakers or did the amp, you may end up doing both.

The speakers have the harder job in general, than an amp. But some difficult to drive speakers can give an amp a real fit.

Personally I would add in a sub and the HPF. That seems like an obvious improvement that likely would stay if you ended up with a new amp(s) or Treos.
The only reason it would not stay is if you went to Quatros or Kentos.
But the room needs to be able to support them, and if the room is small, then you may not need more bass…

Doing nothing is also an option.

• Like 1