Solid state or tube (or both?)

….. while i am a big fan of tubes… a great designer with ears can wring great …beyond great results with solid state to wit anything Ayre makes including the formidable R series and of course the M5 Vandersteen amplifiers and soon preamp. The details of execution : isolation, power supplies, circuit boards ( no highly variable random point to point ), discrete component selection, innovative circuits, massive overload headroom, protection circuits that don’t derail musicality…… volumes could be writte…..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I use solid state amplification and am trying out a new DAC (SMSL SU-1.) I'm wondering if I can go all solid state. My MHDT Lab tube dac can add a touch of fuzziness and I have to turn it up louder to hear the details.

Edited by olds1959special

I use a Music Reference tubed preamp and a Music Reference tubed power amp with my 5As.  Roger Modjeski designed and manufactured.  Beautiful, magical.  John R and Samir were here recently to re-install one of the crossovers I could not get back in, then "re-tuned" the speakers to the room.  Samir then played some tracks he knows, and simply said "Wow".  John said "that's what tubes can do".   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RWP said:

I use a Music Reference tubed preamp and a Music Reference tubed power amp with my 5As.  Roger Modjeski designed and manufactured.  Beautiful, magical.  John R and Samir were here recently to re-install one of the crossovers I could not get back in, then "re-tuned" the speakers to the room.  Samir then played some tracks he knows, and simply said "Wow".  John said "that's what tubes can do".   

Roger was awesome - RIP 😉

I'm using my dac with a tube output again, the mhdt lab Havana. I believe it's an R2R dac too. Otherwise I have no tubes in my system. I tried a delta-sigma dac, the SMSL su-1 briefly with my Vandies, with very good results but after a few days my ears got tired and I went back to the tube dac. 

• 3 months later...

I have to agree with Jim, it is all about circuit execution. Richard’s amps are amazing, I am using a McCormack DNA 1 with all the upgrades & am happy as a clam. System synergy is and your personal preference is what should drive the decision. I used to be an only tubes guy,  but my view has changed. You can’t tell me a D’Agustino is going sound worse than a Prima Luna amp cause it is SS.

3 hours ago, Huang said:

I have to agree with Jim, it is all about circuit execution. Richard’s amps are amazing, I am using a McCormack DNA 1 with all the upgrades & am happy as a clam. System synergy is and your personal preference is what should drive the decision. I used to be an only tubes guy,  but my view has changed. You can’t tell me a D’Agustino is going sound worse than a Prima Luna amp cause it is SS.

And that the Vandy would also worse because it is also SS… 😃

My expectations are that the new Vandy SS line stage will displace a very respected tube pre in my system… Hopefully eventually there will also a higher end Vandy preamp with less cost constraints focused on 7 and 7 owners… i would not get too concerned about tubes vs SS… 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 10:18 PM, TomicTime said:

My expectations are that the new Vandy SS line stage will displace a very respected tube pre in my system… Hopefully eventually there will also a higher end Vandy preamp with less cost constraints focused on 7 and 7 owners… i would not get too concerned about tubes vs SS… 

You are cracking me up Jim.  Yes, I agree with you 100%. I can't wait to get the line stage as I have been going direct and missing SO MUCH MUSIC!  As for the higher end one, DO NOT JINX the release of the first one!!!!! 😉.   Thanks.  That is all. 

• 3 weeks later...